• show-popup

Company Sears
Location Charles City, Iowa
Category Appliances and Electronics
Views 322

Opened my credit card statement for my brand new gold master card from sears yesterday.Was amazed to find that the caring personel in the sears protection agreement dept.

had kindly taken upon themselves to provide me with coverage on three appliances I had purchaced in the past from them. The first one being a TV I bought in 1998, which was struck by lightning in 2001 and replaced with a new unit from a different retailler. The second was a chest type freezer i bought in 2001 and the third a dehumidifier purchased in 2003. All of these items they took upon themselves to insure for me for the paltry sum of $475.

I didn't even have to autherize it! Of course it would have been somewhat troublesome for me to do so since I was 1500 miles away on vacation on the very date they stated the agreement was autherized!! I do recall that some months previous to all this a call from a telemarketer trying to sell me this same insurance. At that time I did unconditionally decline the offer.

Guess I just don't know what's good for me. This is fraud plain and simple, no other way to describe it!! Other than theft. I will never ever darken the door of another Sears or K-Mart again!!

Where are the lifesucking lawyers when you need them.
2d69dc9

Comments (6) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Aug 13, 2011
sears protection agreement plan is fraud :grin :upset :cry
Reply to abida

Sep 04, 2009
Sears wants you in debt, to them. When they renew your protection agreement, they don't send you a nice letter in the mail. No bill, no invoice. They wait and call you ten days before it will expire and tell you that you have to do the renewal on the phone. They say that it's the only way. They will NOT send you a bill. This way, you have no time to set aside the money, and you have to add it to your Sears Charge card. Neat trick, eh? :(
Reply to Sears High Pressure Tactics

Jul 27, 2009  from Tishomingo, Mississippi
It is unfortunate for the consumer to accuse a store of "fraud" or "theft" when in fact the information provided lacks dates, contact information of people spoken too, and other information which would make the story plausable. As a retail employee if I work someplace and felt it was a rip off to purchase said warranties, I myself would not purchase them. I do purchase extra warranties from several retail establishments because I have had a need for them. Look at a retail establishment (a store) as a box. Place items inside the box from various places (manufacturers) and then sell from inside the box. The box is not the manufacturer of these items they just sell them. It really isn't the store's obligation to stand behind a manufactured product, and this why the better warranties are offered. In this day in age you will find manufactured items do not last as long as items from days of old. We have entered an era of a "disposable society."
Customers have admitted they would just purchase a new one if the one they just purchased broke down. How silly, is that when for a fraction of the cost they can get a refund or a replaced product?
Reply to Consumer

Jun 14, 2009
WORKING AS A COMMISSION ASSOCIATE FOR AN ELECTRONIC RETAIL CHAIN I AM AMAZED JUST HOW MANY IGNORANT PEOPLE THERE ARE IN THIS WORLD. NONE OF YOU PEOPLE SEEM TO REALIZE THAT NOTHING IS MADE LIKE IT USED TO BE. ELECTRONIC NOW A DAYS SUCK. YET YOU PEOPLE JUST SEEM TO THINK THAT BECAUSE ITS A KNOWN BRAND IT WILL NOT BREAK DOWN. YOU ALSO BELIEVE IN A 1 YR MANUFACTURER DEFECT WARRANTY. THOSE WARRANTIES ARE THEIR TO BEND YOU OVER HARD. THEY KNOW THE PROBABILITY OF SOMETHING HAPPENING IN THE FIRST YEAR IS SLIM TO NONE. THEN YOU ARE SOL AND NEED TO BUY A NEW ITEM. WAKE UP. SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY. GET THE STORE PROTECTION AND HAVE PEACE OF MIND FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS. I BOUGHT A SAMSUNG LCD TV FROM SEARS AND DID NOT GET THE PROTECTION. THE TV DIED IN LESS THAN 3 YRS. THE TV WAS RATED THE BEST BY CONSUMER REPORTS. YET IT DIED IN LESS THAN 3 YRS. I ENDED UP BUYING A SONY LCD FROM SEARS WITH 5 YRS PROTECTION AND THAT CRAPPED OUT IN LESS THAN 2 YRS. SEARS TRIED EVERYTHING TO FIX THE TV BUT THEY COULDNT SO THEY GAVE ME FULL CREDIT TOWARDS A NEW TV OF MY CHOICE AND THE REMAINDER OF MY PROTECTION TRANSFERRED OVER. WAKE UP GUYS. THE ECONOMY SUCKS. HOW MANY OF YOU ARE SO SURE YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS WILL STAY OPEN AND YOU WILL HAVE A SOLID SOURCE OF INCOME? I KNOW I SURE CAN'T. SO I CAN;T HAVE THE MINDSET IF IT BREAKS ILL BUY A NEW ONE.
Reply to JASON

Aug 28, 2008  from Kent, England
Force them to give you the facts such WHO spoke to you,WHEN they spoke to you.

On most of those agreements you are entitled to a full refund if not used.Cancel them.

There is humungous pressure to sell this *** so someone is simply trying to fill a quota.
Reply to seared

Read next Sears complaint

Sears Shop Vac Bait and Switch

I ordered a shop vac from sears on 7/4/08 via the web site. They charged my credit card right away....

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Sears.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug