Sears repairs can kill you!

1739 of 2761 Sears Reviews
Jun 07, 2011
review #241809
Update added by user Jun 01, 2013

Juat an update.The machine flooded again...

Of course Sears has done nothing... Spent $300 to fix... different part, but likely result from their first mistake...this one could have easily set house on fire...something shorted... at least no longer under warranty with Sears so got fixed right away...

small company could get missing part in 1 day (I actually had him check the part from last time...he had that on his truck)!!!(Not 2-3 weeks like Sears)

Original review posted by user Jun 07, 2011

I have an LG washing machine purchased reconditioned by Sears, I also got the extended warranty and the matching dryer. While under warranty the washer extensively flooded my house (about $50,000 or more of damage), that was Oct 2010. I immediately called Sears, no help so called LG who did give me advice on how to get the water out of the frount loader (Sears had recommended I open the door!)

Four weeks later Sears still had not come out to fix my machine, and I had now taken 2 days off work....So I called LG and got a repair recommendation. First words were what *** had tried to fix the machine...I said Sears had refurbished it...apparently the guy put the back on wrong for starters, then also failed to put the cover on the swith box (which turns off water). This cased a hole in the wiring of the switch and put a whole in the water inlet tube...so I have water and electricity together! (by the way the metal outside of the machine could easily gotten electricity, but did not).

Hundreds of dollars of clothes, bedding, towels were ruined as well, got wet, but Sears was supposed to be there right away....so colors faded onto each other, mildew stains....refuse any compensation for this, or my repair costs, laudrymat use, or time loss from work, going to laundrymat (big ordeal here).

It is now June 2011, still have only received a check for about 1/6th of the damages, even not what their hired investigator allowed! My house is stinky now, moldy and all torn up...and I am a widow with 4 kids!

But at least the electrity water combo (several floor outlets shorted out...ruining my stove, but no fire and no one was electrocuted. My kids and I were barefooted wiping up water unaware of the electrical issue and danger.

Mary

aba69bd
Had an experience with Sears?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
1739 of 2761 Sears Reviews
hershal

Aug 08, 2012

I chose Sears Home Services to re shingle my roof, Believing it would be a quality job based off of the Sears name...What a mistake that was.The first contractor Sears sent over arrived with lower grade material than I had purchased and improperly installed the shingles, resulting in THREE FAILED COUNTY INSPECTIONS.

After the third failed inspection Sears sent over a second contractor assuring me that they would "DO WHATEVER IT TAKES" to ensure the job was completed correctly.

All shingles from the first installation were completely removed and the job was started from scratch.

The second contractor also installed the shingles incorrectly.

Both contractors over penetrated the shingle with the nails, due to improperly adjusted pneumatic nailers, completely missed the trusses when re nailing sheeting, improperly installed ridge vents, all corner drip edges where installed incorrectly.

I was willing to pay extra for the Sears name and warranty..I'll never do that again.How does a $15,000.00 roof fail inspection three times?

Think twice before you use Sears Home Services!
Report Images

former sears employee

Jun 01, 2013

Sears is playing the middle man on the home improvement services, therefore they get a cut of the profit because customers think they are getting the legendary Sears quality which doesn't exist anymore, the sub contractors aren't making as much as they could so that creates a situation ripe for cheating to make more profit.

BABIECISSIE

Mar 30, 2012

:cry SO I HAD AN ACT AND THE NEXT THING I KNOW...IT WAS CANCELED. NOW, I WONDERED WHY AND WAS *** AND ASKED. THEY SAID IT WAS A RANDOM THING. WELL, THAT BLEW CHRSTMAs FOR ME. I WAS PAYING MY PAYNMENTS ONLINE ALL THE TIME FROM LAST OCT TO LAST MONTH. WHEN I TRIED TO PAY....(FOR TWO DAYS) OF RESETTING PW'S ETC TO CALLING. I WAS TOLD I WAS BLOCKED. GO FIGURE! BLOCKED SO I CAN NOT PAY THEM. SO THEY EXPLAINED I CAN NOT PAY ONLINE ANYMORE BECAUSE MY ACCT WAS CLOSED. I WAS NEVER LATE OR OVER. ANYWAY, I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD TAKE MY PAMENBT OVER THE PHONE. I RETORTED BACK ? ANYWA, I REFUSED. I CALLED A FEW MORE TIMES AND THEN I GET A BILL SAYING I HAVE LATE FEES ETC. WOW. IT WASN'T EVEN DUE THE SECOND TIME YET. OK, I AM GETTING MMAD AGAIN. I HAD TO PAY THEM LATE FEES AND TWO $25.00 PAYMENTS FOR NOTHING... THANKS..SEARS ARE CLOSING 40 STORES TOO WHA WHA ...

Replaced magnet on lid cost165

Mar 15, 2012

Then didn't work and they told me the motor was blown so it would be another300

RJ MUHLHEIM

Feb 08, 2012

SEARS NONREPAIR NEARLY KILLS ELDERLY WIDOW Shortly after my father died mom showed me the collection notices Sears sent to her for nonpayment of her refrigerator repair insurance, one marked final notice, but she always paid her bills promptly and could prove it. She also showed me the cancelled checks for payment and copies of the 2 letters she sent to Sears She also sent photocopies of the cancelled checks. She had records of the phone calls she made. They continued to harass her. She nearly went into casdiac arrest over this. I found out the CEO\'s name and wrote Sears Tower, Chicago, IL to stop harrassing before legal action was taken FINAL NOTICE. They stopped after 2 months.DO NOT BUY FROM SEARS THEY ARE CRUEL AND UNUSUAL RJ ps. Sears sold their corporate office because they couldn\'t afford it. I guess this is the price of being bad business people... they wern\'t very good at making money the old fashoned way, by earning it. RJ

RJ Muhlheim

Feb 08, 2012

Chico CA, Sears replaced the kitchen stove on extended warranty, they could not fix after 7 repair visits. They did not replace the gas line fittings, use the required tools or check for gas leaks, or install the included anti tip bracket as required by federal law and would not make any adjustments. Many call at different levels.No action They lost the federal lawsuit and now after 2 years later they are willing to install the bracket but will take no action to check for gas leaks. All new gas pipes should be checked for leaks. SEARS is UNSAFE and CORUPT. DO NOT BUY FROM SEARS

Insurance adjuster

Jan 24, 2012 Erode, Tamil Nadu

If you already recieaved a check from Sears then thats all your going to get,you need to turn the rest of your uncopensated damages over to your home owners insurance.They will investigate and if they find Sears at fault they will go after Sears.But in the mean time you will be compensated.

minymouse2

Jan 24, 2012

Well for an update....no Sears's still hasn't done anything....the washer is broken again and now the drier is not working well either (it had been also repaired by Sears)... but I have 11 brother and sister in-laws as well as a few siblings...they all have kids several who have bought applinaces...NONE AT SEARS... estimate loss of bussiness for Sears is now over 50,000 just from friends and family...they don't want to take a chance on either having Sears repair or buy from Sears. We had been loyal customers in both families for nearly 100 years. Meanwhile I have been doing the needed remodel, mold remediation....Mary

hanky

Jan 24, 2012

:( I'll bet the sears guy that posted didn't do a friggin thing for minny monuse because she never posted a follow up to her complaint . Don't shop SEARS ! ! ! !

honus w

Jan 24, 2012

I have stopped spending my precious money at Sears , too. Their new price matching and return policies are not satifactory for me ,and customer service is almost non existent .The one thing that used to get me off the couch to buy was the extra 10% off with the Sears card has gone away too . I hope this lousy company goes out of business . I also have ceased my trips to Kmart . Kmart feels like big lots now and the prices in there are terrible .

0 0 Reply
NO longer a Sears Customer!

Jan 19, 2012

I bought a new washer from Sears a few months ago. I'm old school, was concerned that I wouldn't like the new energy water saving machine. I was told not to worry if I didn't like it for any reason I could return it.
I HATED it, called and told them the clothes came out dirter than they went in. I wanted to return it. I then was told I had to have a service repair person come out and make sure there wasn't something wrong with the washer. Service repair man lookes it over and says there is nothing wrong. I call to let them know I STILL want to return machine. Now I'm told about the restocking fee of about $80. and that I would need to replace my washer with another from there store. NOT my money returned and in full. Guess who still has there washer BUT goes to the Laundry mat. I had bought sears products for more than 30 years BUT NOT ANY MORE!

Tsiok

Jan 03, 2012

I had a problem with my washing machine for many visits and the problem was never resolved. I allowed the warrentee to lapse, because it was not going to be renewed if they couldn’t fix the problem right? They charged me to come back out to try and fix the same problem. Not right seeing that this problem was never resolved with many visits prior to the warranty expiration.

Big Edandthetwins

Nov 30, 2011

Check out Sears Sucks on Facebook for information on more problems. Check out Yelp as well. So many people being ripped off.

There products and installatio

Oct 16, 2011

We bought a Kenmore smooth top slide in stove and arranged a delivery and installation date. The date arrived and the demolition began. When removing the old stove they tore out part of our ceramic countertops. OOPS!! Sorry about that. They also tore out the water line to the refrigerator. OOPS!! Sorry about that too. The old stove was hard wired and so we needed to have an outlet installed $400.00 + two nice big holes in the wall and the install was not up to code. Then we tried to use the stove and it didnt work. This is when it got to be real fun. The customer service lady told us that it couldnt possibly be the stove that it was our electrical in the house and to get an electrician out to fix it. $200.00 + later the electrician says it isnt the circuit and I am not going to touch that because it is not up to code. Called rude CS lady back. She first told us that we violated the warranty and too bad. After many hours and much talking we got to her manager who said they would send out a repairman to see if we were telling the truth. We were. So they agreed to replace the stove. We get the new stove and had to outlet properly installed, but were concerned about the installers who screwed it up coming back. So we requested they not return. Guess who showed up and not in a good mood. We didnt wont them to tear up the new $4000.00 countertops we had to get because they screwed the other ones so bad. Well they installed it and screwed that up. now almost 9... Show more

Former Sears Customer

Jul 12, 2011

Sears is notorious for bad customer service and poor quality product these days. It's a contrast with what Sears used to be known for. There has been a great decline in Sears' service and product quality. My impression of most of Sears' employee is that they don't care. It's a culture that would plunge any organization into disgrace and sure failure. And Sears is not going to be an exception.

Limp Skully

Jun 14, 2011 Saint Augustine, Florida

Yeah babe what he said!!!! I have had extended warranties with Sears for a long time. Other than them loosing money replacing hardware it has been OK. These new High Tech Machines are not as reliable as the old ones thats for sure. I will say one thing thier customer service does suck at the stores.

SearsCares

Jun 09, 2011

To Minymouse2,

I'm so sorry for everything surrounding this issue. The person that was sent to your home to assess the damage is actually employed by Sedgwick, the insurance company that Sears uses in cases where there is property damage. We do value you as a customer and would appreciate the opportunity to look into this issue further and offer some assistance. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com. Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Minymouse2) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H
Social Media Moderator
Sears Social Media Support

Insurance adjuster

Jun 08, 2011 Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand

First question,did you turn this over to your home owners insurance,if you did and got a check from them and Sears thats is not legal.Next question, why did you not take pictures of the wet clothes and then take them to the laundry.Why did you not turn the water off sooner before there was that much water damage. I can assure you,if Sears thinks there at fault they will make it right.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Sears.
Filing a new complaint about
×