With Company response

2 days short of the 1-year purchase date anniversary, our Kenmore double door/freezer bottom fridge failed and stopped maintaining temperature to keep food safe. It took 5 days from our call before a service technician came to confirm the problem, and 1 additional week for the part to arrive, with mixed messages from Sears customer service during that time that the part would take anywhere from 2 days to 1 month to arrive. Once a tracking # for the part was finally found, we were told it would be another 5 day delay after the part arrived before someone could install it. I was on hold for 30-60 min per phone call to Sears customer service, and transferred among up to 5 different Sears departments in each call. I was told everything from that our product was no longer under warranty & we would be billed for repairs, to having service visits cancelled by automated message. There was no urgency on Sears' part to contact their manufacturer/shipper of the part. In general, I was told repeatedly "I can't help you...let me transfer you (to another department)".

I physically went to a Sears store to try to get this resolved, and their floor personnel got the same runaround from the Customer Service hotline. One Sears hotline rep said that she would give us a complimentary Master Plan warranty for 1 year in recognition of these issues and that she would email me confirmation, which still has not yet happened 4 days later.

Amazingly, I've been told that Sears does not warranty any work done; if this breaks again we're responsible for the entire repair cost. Apparently, Sears does not stand by their products or work unless you buy extra insurance.

Things I learned:

-Even if you bought on line, go into the store to complain. They still have to deal with the same CS hotline, but as long as you're standing near the counter complaining about their product, there's some incentive to solve your problem.

-Don't let them transfer you on the hotline. Make the CS rep put you on hold while they contact the other division. Once they transfer you there's no accountability. I did this and magically a service rep was able to come out on a Saturday to install the compressor, not the following Wed as they had scheduled.

Comments

I have a Sears fridge - build up of ice in freezer - called 7 days after I had it one year and went through *** with people I spoke to - tech came today and said it was leveled correctly and that was the problem.I didn't want to pay him 225.00 to dethaw it - so I removed everything - probably all food will be ruined (in coolers with ice) and it's been 7 hours and I still see ice through vents in the back.

Sears is not like they used to be - they do not stand behind their products and they are cheaply built. I stopped shopping at K-Mart because of a problem plus the cashiers who could not operate register; now I'm going to quit shopping at Sears.

Mr.Lambert, the CEO is a joke.

to Alice Rader #828627

Alice Rader - I meant to say the tech said the fridge was not leveled correctly when the delivery man brought it to my home and stated that was why the ice built up and the freezer and the fan was constantly running.I'm waiting to see if that is really the problem or if it's something else.

The design of that fridge is absolutely horrible.

The door itself is deep and the idiots who designed made the handle on the freezer to come out several inches - it's absolutely dangerous - right after I had it - I raised up from looking inside and hit my head on the handle and it nearly knocked me out - I had a huge knot and bruise on my head.Why would anyone design a handle like this - it's dangerous!

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Anonymous,

My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We would like to apologize for the trouble you have encountered with your refrigerator, and the delay in having the unit repaired. We understand how disappointing this whole repair experience has been for you, and we’d like the chance to ensure that this situation has been corrected to your satisfaction. Please send the following information – contact #, s the screen name that I have assigned you (Anonymous 429117), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Brian S.