Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Buyer beware: Sears Racially Profiles Customers

You're associates in the store and then you're Corporate office need customer training! My experience at the store was extremely traumatic, and from that I will never step into another Sears store again! I was treated like a criminal, my intelligence was underestimated, I was accused of something that I didn't do, and then humiliated in front of a crowd of customers in close proximity also my children, all at the fault of your associates (SARAH #980383) error. I was there to make a return on 3 items that I purchased 2 days prior, which did not work for me, I thought it would be a simple transaction since I had the receipts, tags and items purchased. Assumingly because I "fit a profile" the cashier (Large Hispanic woman #7500) at the returns desk, had a issue with the return or possibly had a issue with African Americans because she automatically had a nasty negative attitude when I got to the counter, where I witnessed her ringing out the customer prior to me, with a completely different domineer. When I told the associate (7500) that I wanted to return my items she looked at me and snatched the receipt out of my hands and asked me what was wrong with the items, and told me that she couldn't return them because they were from the intimate department. She obviously had a problem, because she was flinging and snatching the tags to re-ticket the items and when the return was complete she threw my change on the counter, after I had asked her to stop with the attitude! Then the original checker (Sarah) came up to relieve (7500) on her break, I had asked if she could help me, because I had 2 more returns to do, and she was my original sales associate, which she did. Apparently (Sarah) had forgot to ring up one of the (Buy one, get one half off on the items that I was returning, and she accused me of stealing them, she called security, called about 5 managers and kept repeating very loudly, that she had a customer trying to return items that were not on her receipt. There were several people in line waiting to be for their turn to check out, over hearing my unpleasant experience; I had to wait about 30 minutes while Sarah made several phone calls to security and management. Overall, for the time and effort it was worth, for a $15 dollar return, which if it wasn't on the receipt, I didn't want the money for the return, I just wanted the money back for the one I paid for, I never got an apology from anyone in the store, and when I called Corporate then next day, the lady I spoke with to file the claim, told me that I fit a certain profile, as an African American female, that associates look for? Then she told me to look at my receipt the next time I walk out of a store, and then if the store thought I was guilty of theft, that the store would have called the police. After stating all that, the lady hung up on me and never called back so when I called and got a male associate, he told me that the lady who I spoke with earlier needs training and she should never have said that to me.

I think your intelligence was over estimated

Dear Tanderson217,

My name is Stephanie L. and I am with the Sears Social Media Escalations team, we have just come across your post and it has raised concern. Please our deepest apology for the poor service you received at your local Sears. We entrust our associates to build relationships with our customers and this did not happen. We are especially sorry for the unprofessional manner in which one of our call center agents handled your complaint. We do appreciate your continued patronage and would like to speak to your further about your experience. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name Tanderson217 you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Stephanie L.

Sears Cashier

Sears false advertising

Bought a mattress + foundation on Sears.com. Only mattress was delivered. Contacted Sears customer service multiple times who claimed the purchase was for the mattress only even though the item description clearly stipulated foundation was included. They acknowledged a mistake on their web site where it shouldn't have said that but would not honor it :/. Only offered for us to purchase the missing foundation for an additional cost at a meager 10% discount which we obviously didn't accept. Unfortunately, mattress could not be returned for a refund. Note that it took them more than 2 months to fix the item description on their web site for this particular item but other mattress brands/sizes still had the same "glitch" so I'm sure a lot of customers got in on the "bait and switch" tactic here :/! Tried every avenue to get them to honor their offer to no avail. before giving up. Next item on our shopping list was a new $3K fridge, needless to say we went to a different vendor. Will never buy anything from Sears again... They lost one customer for life for a $100 mattress foundation.

Dear Hlabbe:

We are truly sorry about the confusion on our website regarding what was included in the mattress order you placed. In most cases, we sell our mattresses and foundations separately. I certainly understand your frustration with placing your order and expecting both a mattress and foundation based on the description for this item online. My name is Susan with Sears Social Media Support Escalations team and we would like to look into this issue further for you and offer our assistance to help resolve it.

At your convenience please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the mattress was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Hlabbe) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sears Maintenance/Repair and Customer Service

Sears maintenance/repair and customer service, or lack thereof, IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST WE HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!! The customer service representatives and supervisors have ZERO emotional intelligence, NO empathy, and ARE NOT problem-resolution oriented! Frankly, I have no idea how or why Sears is still in business in this tough and competive economy when companies like Best Buy, Home Depot, and Lowe's are superior when it comes to their products, repair, warranty, and most of all DOING WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE CUSTOMER!!! We will certainly not do business with Sears ever again, and word of mouth can be a devastating marketing tool, especially with the internet at everyone's fingertips! On Wednesday, April 4, 2012 I called Sears to schedule a repair for my Samsung front loading washer because when the cycle finished, smoked poured out of the machine when I opened the door. It is under warranty until November 2012. I was informed that a technician could not come out until Monday, April 9, 2012. When the technician came out, he was unable to repair the machine and said parts would need to be ordered. It would take 5-7 business days for the parts to come in, and then we would need to call and schedule an appointment for the technician to come out. My family of four has now been without a washer for 6 days, and waiting another week or longer is absolutely unacceptable for a machine that is still under warranty. My husband called the customer service line and escalated. We were told the parts would be expedited, should arrive by Wednesday, April 11, 2012, and a technician would be able to come our Thursday, April 12, 2012 to repair the machine. Wednesday arrives and only one of the two parts necessary is delivered. My husband calls and escalates the situation again only to be told there is nothing they can do. Eventually, the representative says the only thing they can do is reimburse us $25.00 a week for laundry expenses. The second part arrives on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 and we schedule the technician to come out Friday, April 20, 2012 to install the new parts on a machine. Friday morning we get a call that the technician cannot come out and the appointment is rescheduled for Tuesday, April 24, 2012. IF the technician does come out on the day scheduled, and IF he does repair the machine, it is still 20 days without a washer. A WASHER THAT IS UNDER WARRANTY!!!! I can only imagine how long it would take to resolve this if there was no warranty!

Dear Angrybird18:

Please accept our apologies for the problems you are having with your washer which is still under warranty. We certainly understand your frustration with being without your washer for 20 days and would like to look into this situation further and offer our assistance to help resolve this issue. We want to make sure that everything that can be done to help is being done. My name is Susan with Sears Social Media Support Escalations team. We are a single point of contact for escalated issues which means that we handle a situation start to finish with one dedicated case manager and will own your issue until it is resolved.

At your convenience please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Angrybird18) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sears Social Media Support

Read all the other posts and you will see - if the technician DOES show up on the 24th, and it was only 20 days, then you are one of the luckiest Sears repair customers around, because typically they reschedule a lot more than that and have repeatedly shown that they don't care about customers anymore. It seems almost like their strategy is drive themselves into the ground and go out of business.

With Official Company Response
I wish I had read up on Sears Home Delivery before ordering my mattress from them. When they first scheduled delivery it was during work for me, so I called and gave them 3 different days & times that would work. It ended up scheduled for Saturday between 5-7pm...not a...

Scheduled mattress for Monday 1:15 to 3:15 was the window. I was here all day preparing for the arrival and showered quickly around noon.

At 1 I start looking out my deck for drivers as I live in a condo. Around 1:20 they call my mother to state no one was home and they are leaving. I walk around outside and see no trucks. They state they have the correct address and reschedule for Thursday (today).

We call higher management that states the drivers could return after their route and they would call when on their way. No call. No return back. But I waited.

Waited all day for ***. I get an email last night that they will call and email my window, I heard nothing last night. No call. Why do they have "windows" if they don't honor them.

The unfortunate part is Sears won't let you pick up a mattress so delivery is the only option. I won't do it again.

View more comments
Sears Delivery Service
Sears Delivery Service

Sears has the Worst Customer Service

i have bought a leaf blower on 04/17/12 for $249.99+Tax at the Nanuet location cause i had a job and i had to use this product my friend recommended me to go to sears he buys all his equipment and tools there and they have good service i went on the job on the 18th a day later put in gas and oil and started leaking oil at start up so i ran over to home depot bought a new one and thought i will return it the next day to sears i went back to sears today on the 19th and the night manager in that department told me that i cannot return it cause the policy was for lawn equipment if im not satisfied i can only exchange it in this situation the product was broken i told the manager that i will call customer relations and complain he told me that he will get a phone call and he will make sure that i won't be able to return it so i called up sears/craftsman and they called the store manager and he told me that this time the manager is right and i can only exchange it i'm never shopping at sears anymore and will tell friends/family to stay away from them they are the worst customer service i ever had!!

I went to sears in overland park kansas and it was awful. Sears computers are way out dated.

I was with my two young sons and we were in one line and the register would not print reciepts so we walked over to jewelry and the register would not work so we spent 33 minutes trying to check out.. Then on top of that they charged me double on two different items. The manager was rude and could care less. I hope sears goes out of buisness.

With the way they treat their customers they must want to!!!! Never going back!!

Dear Tryjoey:

Please accept our apologies for the manner in which your non working leaf blower was handled. My name is Susan with Sears Social Media Support Escalations team and we would like to look into this situation and offer our assistance to help resolve it. We certainly understand your frustration with not being able to return this non working item only exchange it.

At your convenience please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the leaf blower was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Tryjoey) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

SEARS IS A RIPOFF

I'm done with SEARS..I will never buy their products or services again (including any of their associated stores like Kmart). Would you believe that I can't even get an idea, just a round figure, of the cost to repair my garage door opener without paying a $75 trip charge to get that estimate? I know what's wrong with the opener. I told the agent on the phone exactly what it needs. They won't even give me an idea so I can 1) decide if I can afford the repair, and 2) decide if it's even worth putting the money into it. They want to be sure their customers spend some money no matter what. They are desperate. Do me a favor...pass this one to everyone. Tell all you know to stay away from the SEARS RIPOFF."

Valued Sears customer,

My name is Scott and I'm part of the Sears Cares Social Media Executive Support Team. We found your post here and wanted to make a connection with you. We sincerely apologize your repair experience was such an unpleasant one. Unfortunately, no matter how obvious the problem may be to our customers, a Sears technician must be dispatched to diagnose an item before parts can be ordered and repairs completed. A service "trip" fee may be incurred for this diagnosis. We'd like to follow up with you regarding this experience. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the garage door opener was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number). Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (313084) I have assigned you for this website, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Scott J.

Sears Cares Social Media Moderator

If they give you a figure and the actual repair was more then you'd complain about that as well. If the opener is old enough that you are wondering if it is worth repairing, it probably isn't.

Sears Repair

Sears in Monroe, Michigan - Worst experience ever, never by appliance here!!Please go elsewhere!!

This is a letter i sent to sears! My Name is ***** and I am at the point of tears. We first walked into a Sears store on March 6th to purchase a dishwasher in Monroe Michigan. The sales person said we needed to order it online since the store was closing. On March 8th we purchased the dishwasher(order# 3********) with my Sears card. we waited to the scheduled delivery date which was March 28th. On March 28th the Installation dept. called and said the dishwasher had been lost and it would not be delivered. We then called customer solutions and talked to many different case workers over the next few days. We finally talked to an case manager named Amy in Arizona who promised us a upgraded dishwasher because the dishwasher was out of stock,(order # *******). She said she couldn't just order it because we had to wait until they re-credited the amount before we could purchase it. We were never able to contact Amy again. On March 31st I called and reordered the dishwasher and I was promised a delivery date of Friday April 13th with installation. Yesterday my husband received a call letting us know they had problems with the paper work and they were going to work to get us our dishwasher by Friday. I was worried about the Friday delivery date so I called Customer Solutions once again tonight and spoke to another case manager in Arizona named Leticia, She informed us we received an email earlier today, but was unaware of any problems with the delivery of our dishwasher. She told us our dishwasher was in the system to be delivered after April 18th. When I disconnected with her I checked my emails and they stated they reprocessed my Dishwasher(without my permission) and will call me April 18th to let me know when they will deliver the dishwasher. I have been waiting since March 8th for my dishwasher to arrive. I do not understand why sears can not get me a dishwasher, since I ordered one over a month ago! I have talked to several Case workers and so far no one has actually been able to get my dishwasher to me. We have been without a dishwasher and have been eagerly waiting and very disappointed every time Sears messes up the order. I am at my wits end and I was wondering if there was something you could do to get us our dishwasher? We are unsure who else to turn to. Thank you for your time. It is now April 17th, we were promised our dishwasher would be delivered today, we wait ed thru the time frame and no dish washer. We called online solutions again and they said "someone must have gave your dishwasher to someone else" installation then said it will be delivered on the 18th and we would get a call tonight with a new time frame, but we waited till 9:00 pm and they never called! I then contacted the installation dept again and the girl stated they don't call at night, they call in the morning and she tells all her customers that. I then asked to speak to a manager because she wouldn't help me any further and she said she would love to and transferred me to a dept which was closed. I called back spoke to someone else and she said they do call at night and she called the installation guy for me. He did not answer his phone, so she said she left a message and they will call first thing in the morning. i am not holding my breath!
AE Service

Hi jessicaann1982,

My name is Scott and I'm with the Sears Cares Social Media Support Team. Our team also located your post on another website. We're terribly sorry for all the disappointment and aggravation surrounding your delivery experience. We'd like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dishwasher was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number). Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (jessicaann1982) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Scott J.

Sears Cares Social Media Moderator

Sears Manager

Sears Credit Wants Their Money and More

I have paid Sears over $12,000 on a $3,000 credit bill and have had my credit ruined because they don't do what they say, will not work with you to pay your bill, and change payment dates to make sure you are charged $39 in late fees. 10 years ago I had trouble paying bills (yes, poor financial managment) and signed up to use Consolidated Credit to pay down around $35,000 in credit card bills. I had $30K in various Visa cards, $1,500 Walmart Card, $1,800 at Belks, and $2,800 at Sears. Consolidated set up an automatic payment for every card and in 5 years I paid off all the bills except for Sears, which was now $3600 due to late fees and finance charges because they kept changing the payment date (CC sent them a payment on a specific day each month that they had negotiated initially). Plus, it showed 30+ days late constantly. We told Consolidated to take them off the list and we would deal with them directly. Then, I called Sears (oh, and BTW, over the 4 years time we paid Sears over $3,600 in payments), and told them what happened and we negotiated a monthly payment, automatic draft, and paid all the late fees to get the account current on monthly payment. They agreed to no finance charges, so we were supposed to just be paying down what we owed. We have paid over $2,500 the past 3 years and still owe over $1,800, and BTW we had $135 in late fees that just showed up on the bill that I've never seen, but apparently has been on there since we started and is listed credit 90+ late on my bill, so my credit rating is SHOT. I called Sears and have NEVER been as mad when I called customer service as I was with these people and made sure the manager said that if I paid what he told me were the late fees, that I will not have another problem again. I have paid the late fees, and am paying a set amount every month, and still owe $1,800. I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN SEARS AGAIN AND TELL EVERYONE TO NEVER GET A SEARS CARD!!! I understand that I was the one that got myself into this situation, but over the past 16 years since I used the card last, I'm still paying on $3,000 worth of charges and have estimated that I have paid for the charges 4 times over. I'm seriously thinking of emptying my savings to get these people off my back, but it's the principle. This is greed, plain and simple, and really poor customer care and service. If they can't see that I haven't charged in over 16 years and have paid I know over $12,000 to the company over that time, you would think they would say "paid in full" and be done with it. BTW, I did buy what I thought was a really nice tiller 10 years ago at Sears, (I needed it and it was really on sale) Sears brand, didn't buy the warrantee (barely had enough money to buy the tiller). It lasted two seasons in a small garden, then the tynes quit for no reason. I took it to get it fixed and it would have cost me twice the cost of the tiller to fix it. So, needless to say, I'm done with Sears, and now think twice about shopping at Kmart.

Are u for real, or just a machine like the rest of sears customer service. Man what a life you must lead all stuffed up and head in the pot like all the grand ceo"s and the BIG BAD BANK> :) :grin ;) 8) :p :roll :eek :upset :zzz :sigh :? :cry :( :x Never again will we do any thing with SEARS K-MART or any bank or other people that u have a connection with

My Dear Brian social Media Moderator Sears social Media Support, How ever you whish to call your self, please give me a break and call it what you like but it's pure and simple BS" and you know it, they should do away with social media support and save there money. :) :grin ;) 8) :p :roll :eek :upset :zzz :sigh :? :cry :( :x

BOY IS THAT TRUE. all the abouve is right on except the Brian replay, all like the name BS:

That line at the top from Brian S, Should be what it is BS" All that *** about being sorry is BS" And all that *** about helping you out Is BS" In fact Sears and the bank they do credit with is BS" All they care about is MONEY HOW MUCH CAN WE *** OUT OF FIRST

Dear Anonymous,

My name is Brian and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I am very sorry that you’re having this experience with your Sears card. We're truly sorry for the frustration and confusion over your Sears account. We can help get you in touch with a supervisor with CitiBank if you'd like. Please understand that our stores do not outline the credit rules and guidelines.

At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number, and we will call you directly. In addition please include the screen name that I have assigned you (312776) in your email for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Brian S.

View more comments (4)
With Official Company Response

Sears will not refund cost of flawed matterss

Purchased new mattress from SEARS and 32 days later mattress had a hump in the middle. Called SEARS and they said that they would bring out a replacement mattress. No problem. Replacement mattress came and the guys said that they had a lot of returns on this specific mattress. A week later the "new" mattress had lumps in it. Called SEARS to refund our money and they said that we were out of the 30 day window for refunds but they would replace the mattress or we could up grade to a better mattress but we would have to pay the difference in price. Nothing said about the mattress being flawed or how can we make this better for you. Just no refund. Now there you have the "smart" way big business, and their lawyers, go to keep from refunding a customers money on flawed material, just keep replacing it and eventually they will give up and go away. Shop at SEARS again, I don't think so.
Goliard

Sears did call and the person was very professional but said that they would not refund the money paid but would stand by the warranty of the Sealy mattress. Well we have since replaced the second mattress with a 3rd Sealy mattress from Sears.

The gents that delivered the mattress said that they could see the "hump" in the middle of the mattress. It really is beyond my comprehension that a company would replace a defective mattress with another defective mattress and then do it yet again. Sears can in no way be doing nothing but be losing money on this deal unless they are just passing it through on to Sealy who is just writing the replaced mattress' off. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Now the real kicker is the 3rd mattress has the same problem as the first.

Guess we're going to keep this replacement game up for some time.

I don't know what to tell anyone who reads this other than to really shop around for a mattress and as a "last" resort only go to Sears or Sealy for a mattress.

Goliard,

Hello my name is Zenaida and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalation Team. I wanted to reach out and apologize for the trouble you have experienced with your mattress. I know it is very frustrating that your new mattress is showing the same signs as your first mattress. I would like to get you in contact with one of our dedicated case managers.

At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to be frustrated by this. In the2 email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your mattress was purchased with (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Goliard) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We truly value your business and look forward to talking to you soon.

Zenaida M.