Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Sears says

On 7 April 2011 I visited the Bolingbrook, IL Sears Store (200 North Weber, Store #5702) to purchase a rototiller that Sears had on sale. When I went to pay the cashier requested my phone number. I explained to her that I do not give out my phone number and that it is personal information. She stated that I could not purchase the product without giving her a phone number. Because I consider my phone number to be a private matter I did not find this to be an acceptable response. I asked for the on-duty store manager (Rick) who basically insisted the same thing. Thinking that this was just a matter of the cashier needing something to fill in a blank on her cash register I told her to use any number. She would not. I then gave her a number to use, which she would not accept. Rick, the store manager agreed with her that she could not accept the number I had provided. Overhearing what was transpiring, another employee came over. She told the cashier to "just put in any number, that this was done all the time" and that there were many people who did not like to provide private information like their phone number. Finally, they accepted the number I provided to them. I thought we were over the hurdle, only to then have Rick insist that I was now no longer eligible to obtain a standard warranty for the rototiller I was purchasing. Basically, no phone number, no warranty. I explained that I would be happy to register my warranty online or by mail, but he insisted that was not an option. I must say that the way I was treated at Sears was terrible. I know that I am not the only person who values their privacy and personal information. I also know that Sears' system, and that of many other companies much larger than Sears, can easily be hacked into, compromising customer databases. In fact, just recently I received a notice from Capital One that their marketing vendor, Epsilon, had their system compromised, releasing my name and private email address and that of millions of customers. In the last month Sony's site was breached twice, releasing 24.6 million subscribers' info and credit card data. So, everyone should have legitimate fears that any private information they provide to Sears or others can over time become compromised by these ever occurring breaches. Even forgetting the private nature of such information, one could only extend Sears' stated store policy to imply that anyone who does not have a phone number, such as someone who recently moved or are in the process of changing phones cannot purchase their products and obtain a warranty. And I say products, because although I was purchasing a rototiller, I suspect if I had been purchasing a new refrigerator, dishwasher or their Utility Mate portable trailer, (each of which could be an indication of someone moving who may not have an active phone number ) I would have been subjected to the same treatment. And, to make matters worse, the rototiller was a gift for a relative, so registering a warranty with me would not have even been correct! In this day of economic downturn one would think that a company like Sears would be happy to make a sale like this. Obviously, I must be mistaken. However, in his February 2011 letter to its Shareholders, Sears Holdings Chairmen Mr. Lampert noted that "2010 was another challenging year for Sears Holdings. Our financial results remain at unacceptable levels, and we are working to drive better performance in both the short and long term". Perhaps if Mr. Lampert knew what was happening at the customer level he would realize where a gaping hole lies. I have contacted Sears Customer Service numerous times, looking for feedback on their ill advised Privacy Policy, and to figure out how I can get my warranty. So far, I have received 3 canned responses from them that indicate that they didn't even bother reading the actual complaint. I will continue trying to get an acceptablre replay from Sears, both on the warranty and on their poor policies. But in the mean time I guess we should all assume that with Sears, NO PHONE NUMBER, NO WARRANTY!

I had a similar experience at the Sears in the West Knoxville, TN mall tonight (12/10/2011). All I had were two pairs of pants that I was going to pay for with a debit card, and the cashier refused to finish the transaction without me giving my personal phone number. Thankfully, I hadn't swiped my card yet so I just left without the pants, because there are plenty of other places to shop that don't require me to give out my personal information.

#341939

Crikey. Many places ask for a phone number when you purchase something, including fast food delivery places.

If you lose your receipt, and don't provide a valid phone number, you're basically screwed. Plus, a phone number is not linked to your credit card (hard to believe!) so stop banging on about Sony getting hacked and credit card details being obtained - it's not the same situation.

Personally, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with you. It's people like you that make my job that much more difficult when it doesn't need to be.

I can see it now, in 18 months DAK will be on here *** because he couldn't find his receipt and couldn't get any warranty service.

Comparing the sensativity of credit card data to your phone number is a stretch to say the least. DAK is the kind of person that throws a little fit over something as rediculous as this, they get offered a gift card or future discount from the retailer, and then other consumers pay for it later with higher prices.

Honestly, I bet I can get a lot of personal data on DAK just from the post placed on this website. And what I can't get, even a halfway good hacker can.

Here is the general idea/formula.

ISP + IPA + the assumption that DAK lives in IL = at the very least the location where DAK posted this complaint.

Ironic right? Privacy rights advocate DAK gives out own information online.

To Laura at SearsCare Escalation Team;

So, why is that Sears needs an “escalation team”? Oh, wait, I know, it is because your Customer Service groups knows nothing about Customer Service. Am I cynical? You bet. I swapped about a dozen emails with your Customer Service group (2 with Dylan C, 2 with Jacob G, 2 with Monica W, 2 with Elizabeth A, and others) before resorting to posting this online. Most of the responses I received are nothing but a canned cut and paste response. You have them trained well. They are all using the same response templates with the same non-responses. I don’t think most of them even bothered to read about the problem. I wonder if there is really a Customer Service group or if it isn’t just one big Microsoft Outlook server with an auto responder.

I repeatedly asked the Customer Service group to get a supervisor involved, since this issue was not going to go away so easily. They ignored that. The last response was “…we must stand behind the store’s decisions in this matter as this is policy”. Go figure, here is a Customer Service group reinforcing the “No Phone Number, No Warranty” policy. The only person that had any Customer Service savvy was the General Store Manager. I spoke with him the day after the event, as a courtesy to let him know what was going on in his store. As a business owner, I explained that I would want to know if something like this happened to my clients. We had a nice conversation and he agreed that the policy made no sense. But it was obvious that he and his employees were all following some ill advised policy from corporate Sears.

So, unfortunately, we can now do the laundry in public. It is unfortunate that Sears can’t come up with a better way to track warranties, especially when 99% of the rest of the world has figured out how to do it. While I am sure that some people have no problem providing private information to save them from having to retain a receipt, that is their option.

The only good that will come of this is to let the public become better aware of such silly policies, and to let them know that they have the option “just say no” when someone requests private information. It also lets the public be able to make informed decisions on who they care to do business with. After this, I have chosen to not do business with Sears.

Finally, while some may think this is a frivolous matter, and just provide their private information, I sadly remind them that over 100 million people just had their private information stolen from the Sony PlayStation Network. Even Sony admits that they “…could not rule out that some 12.3 million credit-card numbers had been stolen during the hacking.” So, placing my private information in Sears’s hands… thanks but no thanks.

To DAK,

I’m sorry for the delay in responding to your post as I just came across this situation with your tiller purchase. I apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced when you were asked to provide a phone number at the time of purchase. Sears honors the manufacturers’ warranties on items sold in our store and we track the purchase date and warranty information by our customers’ phone numbers so that we can better assist our customers if there is a problem with the item. If a phone number is not provided at the time of purchase we would still be able to honor the warranty as long as our customer was able to provide proof of purchase. Receipts can be lost or misplaced over time and because Sears does not want to place an undue burden on our valued customers are the reasons we ask for a phone number at the time of purchase on any serviceable item. This is not an excuse for the customer service you received, just an explanation. We would very much like to speak with you regarding your experience.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. From your post I understand you are wary of providing your phone number; however if you would like assistance in this matter we would need a contact phone number or email in order to contact you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (DAK) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sears Social Media Support

If this is the only way Sears can track a warranty then shame on them. I am perfectly capable of retaining my receipt, in the event I need warranty work. That is pretty good proof of purchase, as far as I am concerned. And why would I want Sears to contact me when the warranty is up? So they can sell me something???

Also, I attempted to give out a false "reference" number, which they wouldn't accept for the first 20 minutes of the "event".

Finally, for something like a rototiller Sears woult not be "coming out" to make warranty repair.

Sorry, the explanations provided by the Commentor hold no water.

The reason that Sears needs your phone number is so Sears can look your info up for any item that you purchase should you have a problem with it and need any work done to it. If Sears does not have a correct phone number then Sears cannot look any products up to set up service on them.

All warranty's are tracked through your phone number. when you provide a number at your purchase Sears needs that specific number to have service done to that item. The record that is created for it has your proof of purchase and your proof of warranty. That is also how Sears will contact you when your warranty is up to offer you a new one on your product.

There for you have to decide which is a better option for you... Give your phone number which your credit card info is not stored with so your credit card info is still protected and have valid warranty's on your items and have them fixed if they need to be...

or give out a false number which you more than likely won't remember and when you need service Sears won't be able to find any type of warranty for you there for you will need to provide your receipt and proof of the warranty for it to be fixed which at that time they will need a valid number to be able to contact you at for the repair. And keep in mind the only info that is available from you giving out your number is your name, address ( if a tech needs to come to your house Sears needs the correct address) and a list of all your purchases and warranty's.

View more comments (7)
Review

Sears lies about replacement tv warranty

we bought a 52 inch tv about five years ago. every year we renew our warranty. its a promise from sears that "if it cant be fixed, we will replace it" we always take really good care of our tv and have it serviced every year with a cleaning from sears. we did need to replace a bulb at one time, and sears did cover it. (well, after five years of paying for the expensive warranty, thank goodness they paid for it) but in the fifth year of owning the tv, the picture quality was failing. it looked like dirt inside the screen. so we called the repair center and they came to fix it and found out it was worn pixels. well, sears could not fix the tv and they did not replace the tv.they said "pixels wear" was not covered. well, they never said there were exceptions to the coverage the warranty said nothing about exceptions to the coverage and as a matter of fact, when they call and pitch the sale of the warranty to you, they tell you its "anything that breaks and cant be fixed" (as long as its not the customers fault) i guess pixels are considered "anything"..if the warranty is not going to cover the quality of the picture on the tv, then whats the point of buying it? isnt quality of the picture the one thing that should be covered?? its not a toilet, its a tv!!! WTF SEARS??? i hate big companies too!! i will never be suckered again and i tell everyone and anyone who has an interest in buying this from sears. why are they allowed to scam people out of hard earned money??????

To Paulthealien,

I am sorry for the delayed response to the situation with your TV as I just came across your post. I wanted to reach out on behalf of Sears and apologize for the frustration you have experienced with getting your unit repaired. We would very much like to speak with you regarding this situation.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so that we might assist in a timely manner. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the TV was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Paulthealien) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sears Replacement

Sears customer service is Terrible.....

I am writing to share my frustrating experience I have had dealing with Sears and the terrible customer service hot lines. I am a first time buyer from Sears and ended up buying a washer and dryer set from one of their outlets. Delivery was scheduled, and they arrived at the time they said they would. Everything went great. They installed everything and were extremely friendly. The problem started when I found that I needed to change my cord over to a 4 prong so that it would fit into my outlet. I didn't have the cord at the time of delivery so they were unable to fix this for me. I was OK with this since I didn't have the part and I knew they couldn't sit around all day while I went shopping to get one. I didn't really think it would be a problem because I have changed out a cord before and my father is an electrician. This is where I ended up running into problems with customer service. After spending an hour reading the manual and trying to figure it out....I decided to give customer service a call for a little help. I wanted to talk to someone about this model dryer and the fact that my dryer looked nothing like the set up in the manual. I spent the next 4 hours talking to a variety of different people. I told my story at least 20 times and was hung up on at least 5 times. I kept trying thinking that someone would be able to help. Well I guess I was wrong. Two days later.....6 hours of talking and holding....and I haven't received any real help. I honestly don't know what my next step will be as I don't think I can spend anymore time trying to deal with the terrible service. I will never make the mistake of buying something from Sears again. I'm at the point to where I'm just going return the entire thing and buy from someone else. If you value your sanity then you will stay away from Sears! Thanks, Ray Sensabaugh
#281911

To Ray Sensabaugh,

I want to apologize for the poor service you have received while trying to get assistance with your dryer. Sears prides itself on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our services and it appears we have not met that goal here. We would very much like to assist you in resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so we can assist you in a timely manner. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dryer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Gatoray / Ray Sensabaugh) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sears Delivery Service
Loss
We purchased a Samsung Steam Washer and Dryer set for over $3000 from Sears just six months ago, after our previous washer failed. Our previous washer and dryer set, a Fridgidare model, was only 2 years old, and purchased for $1500. We did not purchase a protection...
#281905

To Cmrosiak,

I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with your washer repair. It certainly sounds as if you’ve had a very frustrating experience that has yet to be resolved. This concerns us greatly and we do wish to discuss these experiences with you so that we may check into what happened and see if we can make this right for you.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Cmrosiak) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Product
Sears Protection Plan

Sears review in Brecksville, Ohio: Manager Hiding Something

A week ago two sears employees were approached by a customer from outside the store an said he found a pouch he thought was a purse, then he left. In turning the pouch into the store mgr. it was discovered that a LARGE sum of money was in the pouch, which was a down payment for a house. The person came in the next day to claim it, mgr took full credit and refused a reward. She would not even tell sears corp, said she wanted it kept low key. She is hiding something. The male employee was threatened with his job if he said anything.
Sears Manager
The Craftsman Lawn Tractor 2 year warranty expired 4/25/09-less than 6 days ago. We had the leaking trans axle replaced last September under warranty. We just started using the mower this season since the repair. Less than 5 hours of use this season the trans axle is...

Bought a new tractor and mower and had a snow blow put on all work done by sears..that was end of febuary it is now the middle of march and the belt to the blower has been replaced three times and still won't stay on .This thing was 4000.00 bucks ….DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY BUY A JOHN DEERE. I MADE THE MISTAKE OF PAYING FOR IT BEFORE IT WAS DELIVERED .

View more comments
Loss
We have been very loyal Sears customers for a long time. We, my husband and I, decided to open a Sears Store Card during a promotion they were running. We had 2 years to pay the item off with deferred interest. We made our payments every month thinking that what we...

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SITIUATION. IF YOU NEED SOME HELP GO TO MY WEBSITE AND CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL AND LETS SEE WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP. www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/erikevans

SEARS--DON'T SHOP THERE!!!

MY INLAWS BOUGHT ABOUT $300 WORTH OF BABY CLOTHES FOR OUR BABY AND THEY WERE TOLD AND HAD SEEN ADVERTISEMENTS ABOUT NO HASSLE EXCHANGES. WE RECEIVED SO MANY CLOTHES THAT SOME OF THE WINTER CLOTHES SHE NEVER EVEN WORE. THE SUMMER CLOTHES WERE TOO BIG, SO WE BROUGHT THEM BACK. THEY ALL HAD THE TAGS STILL ON THEM AND THE MANAGER AT THE CHARLOTTE, NC STORE WOULD NOT TAKE HALF OF THEM BACK, B/C THEY DIDN? CARRY THEM ANYMORE. THE OTHER HALF OF THEM SHE OFFERED US $2.00 TO $3.00 ON EACH OF THEM. SHE DIDN? EVEN CARE. THAT IS RIDICULOUS, SO WE HAVE TOLD ALL OF OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND ANYONE with email not to shop there, please do the same.

Dear Valued Sears Customer,

My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and I'm sorry you had problems returning these baby clothes to one of our stores. We would like to help. We are a single point of contact for escalated concerns which means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be impacted by this. At your convenience, please send us an email. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the following screen name (Need2ReturnBabyClothes) that I created for you, for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.

Sears is the WORST!

Here's my recent frustrating experience with Sucky Sears! I purchased a Samsung dishwasher. During the install, a complete *** installer, pushed it under the counter with his knee, and dented the face of the dishwasher. My wife watched the entire procedure, and when she brought it up to the installer, he actually denied it, and said it was freight damage. He also broke the lower corner of my kitchen cabinet, next to the dishwasher, but that's another adventure! So, we then contacted the 800 numbers to talk to repairs, and had to schedule a Sears's repair tech. to come out and evaluate the damage. The new Sears repair tech. confirmed he had to order a new exterior door skin. We waited three months to receive the new Samsung part, it was back ordered. You'll love this! when the back ordered piece showed up, it was the interior door insulation! not the door exterior skin, we waited three months for the wrong part. I again called the 800 number, they said he ordered the incorrect part number, they supposedly re-ordered the correct part, three weeks later it showed up. The delivered part was the interior door insulation, again. I again called and actually reached a competent and nice operator. She went ahead and ordered me a complete new Samsung dishwasher, she understood the moronic Sucky Sears process, and stated this would be the best way to correct the item. The new Samsung dishwasher was delivered and installed by a new install company, as I request to not have the previous *** installer back to my house. These guys weren't half bad, but the new dishwasher had a bad door gasket flange, that kept catching the lower dish rack wheels. Within a couple of weeks the roller on the rack had broken off, and didn't roll. We again contacted Sucky Sears idiotic 800-repair number, and scheduled a repairman to visit and tell us what we already know. He came out, figured it out and ordered the new parts. When the parts showed up, I contacted the 800 4my-home to let them know the parts had arrived and schedule the repair tech. to come out and perform the repair work. They scheduled it for Tues. 4/27/11 between 1-5:PM. I took off work and to home wait, by 3:PM no one showed or called, so I called the 800-4my-home, the operator said he would contact the Sucky Sears repair tech. and have him call me. By 4:PM no call from the tech. I called the 800-4my-home again, and got the same response. Again, I patiently waited for the Sucky Sears repair tech. to call me. By 4:30 PM no phone call, I again called back, by now I'm thinking they've been lying to me! I phoned back and reached an almost complete moronic operator, who stated the Sucky Sears, *** tech. would not be coming! As I proceeded to get very angry, because I missed work for no reason, and explained how Suck Sears operates, really SUCKS! She proceeded to lie to me and explained the Sucky Sears dispatcher contacted my wife and my wife said it was OK, and we would re-schedule! My wife is a schoolteacher and is hard to get a hold of, unless it's me, her loving husband. Anyway, my wife would have called me and let me know! So, needless to say, I had to reschedule. Sucky Sears has reached a new low; they now actually blatantly lie to you! I find it really weak, they use the consumer to receive the shipped parts, inspect the repair parts for damage, storage of the components and then throw out the left over cardboard and packing material. The Sucky Sears warranty discloser and information don't tell that!

To 72elkiedude,

My name is James and I am part of the Sears Cares Team. I can certainly understand your frustration and disappointment after dealing with so many failures, by different lines of businesses within Sears. We are very sorry for all of this and would like the opportunity to help. We are a single point of contact for escalated concerns which means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be impacted by this. At your convenience, please send us an email. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the item(s) were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (72elkiedude) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H

Sears Repair
Loss

Sears customer service is non-existing. Terrible

I smelt a strong plastic burning odor and tracked it to my Kenmore refrigerator that I have has less than 5 years. The light bulbs shorted out and the plastic around the area caught on fire. Sears says that they are aware of some "iisues" with this model and that the same thing has happened to several others but at this time there was no recall. What does it take for them???? I worked for sears for 34 years and will never buy another Sears product or anything else from any of their stores. I can't believe how far their quality has fallen. No wonder no one shops there.

Dear Valued Sears Customer,

I want to apologize for the delayed response to the situation with your refrigerator as I just came across your post. I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve had in getting assistance with your refrigerator. Sears prides itself on excellent customer service and it seems we have not met our goal in your case. We would very much like to speak with you regarding your refrigerator and make sure everything that can be done is being done on your behalf.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. This means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so that we may address the concerns you related in a timely manner. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please refer to the reference name that we have given your post (Refrigerator 42811) so that we will be able to quickly access your information. We do look forward to talking to you soon.