Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Sears rip-off on repair of refrigerator.

In March 04 we bought a Kenmore side by side frig and didn’t get the extended warranty since the compressor was covered for five years. A couple of weeks ago the frig stopped cooling although the freezer continued to freeze. I talked to a Sears service guy who told me it was probably just the thermostat, a $25 item and it wouldn’t cost much to repair; so we set up an appointment with Sears service. The joker showed up finally and announced without even looking that the “damper” had gone out, the vent between the freezer and the frig was closed. He said this was a very common problem in refrigerators that are digitally controlled. He indicated that this was a big deal and would be expensive. He had to go back out to his truck do an estimate. He came in with an estimate of $298, including a $5 fuel surcharge for his travel and $90 for parts. After his description of the problem, we thought he would be at work for an hour to two and have to tear down the unit and rebuild it. Instead, he had my wife clean off the top shelf in both the frig and the freezer, and with a screwdriver quickly removed the defective damper/diffuser, pulled out a new part which he had brought in from his truck and plugged it in. His entire time with the refrigerator was little over ten minutes during which time he tried to sell us a one year guarantee for $100. Now keep in mind, his labor was nothing complex, not like say changing the oil in a car or the spark plug on a mower, but he charged us at a rate of over $800 per hour. Do brain surgeons make this much? Also, the part that went out was actually a small electric motor, the type that should cost under $20 in the real world. When I complained about the outrageous overcharge, he said it was Sears who was making all the money, not him. We felt completely ripped off. Had he told us what it was he was actually going to do, I would have ordered the part and replaced it myself. But we had been mislead by the other *** telling us it was probably a thermostat. We told the guy that we would never buy another Sears appliance.

"grover" you're the one who looks petty and ***. The amount of money he paid for this *** job isn't petty.

He is "going public" so other people don't get scammed the same way. Maybe if someone else HAD ALREADY gone public with something like this, then KansasVic wouldn't have fallen victim to this. Most normal people want to trust that they are not going to get screwed by the big name companies they trust. Sears makes Boukou money on their *** service contracts and high cost parts and labor - their products aren't inexpensive but are cheaply made.

I quit using Sears a long time ago.

Also, judging from the number of other similar complaints I see on Sears, the entire company needs to be flayed. If he's "content" with what he did, what's it to you?

I quit using Sears a long time ago.

This is excessive but it would be a good idea to check with his supervisor first and his supervisor and so on.

Did Sears dispatch explain how the bill is caculated before they came out?Also you can look up the price of the part by going to parts on Sears.com by using your 9 digit model number.Make sure you enter at least the first 8 numbers.

It sounds like 200$ for 10 minutes work.Was this an hourly tech?Also check with the local agencies like the Better Business Bureau or even code enforcement-make sure at the company has a license for that locality and type of work.

Did you bother to even call this guy's boss, or are you content with just flaying an entire company publicly because of this one tech's apparent lack of concern?

Seriously, you should at least try to get a better resolution before you go public with something like this. You look petty and ***.

View more comments (3)
Sears Repair

New Mower Broke - Sears would not replace!

1.I purchased a Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Model No. 917.338190 on June 13, 2008. I mowed my lawn (approximately 1/16 of an acre) four times with this mower. On July 6, 2008 I was mowing the lawn and the rear skirt fell off and I ran over it with the mower cutting the skirt in half and warping the blade and probably the crank-shaft in the engine (there was a vibration there that was not there before the incident). 2.I returned the mower to the Sears store where I purchased it and asked that it be replaced. The manager on duty, refused to replace the more stating that the mower had to be sent in for service to determine if it was a manufacturing defect and that it would take two-to-three weeks. I then asked for a refund so I could purchase a new mower – again she refused citing the same reason. I then called the Sears National Help line and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who tried to convince Beth to replace the mower and she still refused. I then asked to speak to the store manager. After much debate Beth finally got on the phone and I got the same response from him. 3.After an hour of debating I stated that I would please like my money refunded minus a 15% restocking fee and was told that I could not get any refund until the mower went to service to determine what the problem was. I then left the mower there and went home. 4.In the meantime I had to cut my lawn – so I borrowed a mower, and then purchased a used mower for $40.00 so I could cut my lawn while I am trying to resolve what is essentially a $25.00 issue. 5.I spoke to the Sears National Hotline on four separate occasions and was assured that the store manager would call and resolve the issue, he did not – so I called back and was assured that District Manager (Columbus, Ohio) would call and resolve the issue, he never called either. 6.I called the Sears National Hotline again on July 18, 2008 and spoke to a rep who did contact the manager who said I could have a refund minus 15%. 7.So, I got in my car drove forty miles to Sears to pick up my refund minus 15% ($25.00).

I work for sears, and i am very sorry about the lousy customer service you were given. one thing i dont understand though is how did you run over the "rear skirt" if its in the back.

unless you were pulling backwards on the mower which then it may have been folded underneath by the lawn, which now brings the lawn type into it as well. It sounds to me as owner neglect and misuse because any lawn mower would do the same thing if dragged backwards. Craftman rear skirts are no different than most of the other brands. in fact, that mower is customer rated at about 4 out of 5 stars for the price paid.

however the customer service you were given seems lousy and some helpful info is that Husqvarna is the manufacturer behind the mower, not sure about there number though. Good Luck with the situation and i hope your next mower (whether craftsman or not has a better life).

Review

Sears customer disservice is impossible to deal with.

Our 7 year old Kenmore washer, on which we are forced to have an extended warranty because it is such a piece of trash, broke for the umpteenth time 5 weeks ago. Sears sent a tech, who could not repair it, and who could not persuade Sears to replace it. Instead, Sears will repair it again. I was told my appt would be 10 days later. 10 days later I had 11 parts, but no one came to fix my machine, though I waited home all day and had checked my appt time and called several times during the day to make sure they were indeed coming. The next day, the tech I'd had called back and said no one could come because the part I needed was on back order for at least 10 more days. So, we waited those 10 days, plus 4 more. Meanwhile, we have received at least 3 calls per day from Sears, wanting to know if we have received all of our parts, and wanting to schedule service on our washer. The same person never calls twice, nor does anyone call back when we are told they will. No one is ever aware that we have already been called, or that we have been waiting for a month now for our washer to be fixed. Sears wants us to wait for over $1000 worth of parts to arrive at our house, then send over 2 repair techs, when they have time, to fix this sucky machine. They won't replace it, even though it would cost them less, because we didn't purchase that type of extended warranty. We won't purchase from Sears again.

Sears renewed my expired credit card in the store and did not update my current address. They delivered a refrigerator to my house but could not find me to send me the bill.

The collection agency found in a 3 hours after $600.00 interest had accumlated. First ever credit problem for me.

Would not make it right. I don't shop there any more.

So, because you bought a cheap warranty, you want Sears to give you the same treatment you would have gotten with the expensive warranty? Ok, we see how you are.

You're cheap, but demanding.

Good combination. Go get over yourself.

Fed up with Sears

Sears has got to be the worst run company and have the worst customer service department. i purchased a dishwasher from them and have pages and pages of notes to myself on how I arranged for delivery, arranged for installation (separate from delivery), and arranged for repair. The unit was installed incorrectly by their people and now i have to deal with Sears again to have them replace the unit. One department tells me (in a email) that the unit will be replaced and installed on the same day. Installation tells me that the unit will only be delivered and that I have to set up an appointment on another day for installation. All I get from Sears is discussions with people in India and occasionally America. I will NEVER buy anything from them again.
chevrolet

I havent shopped at Sears in 25 years,It seems their attitude hasen't changed. My last encounter with one of their store clerks was "If you dont buy from Sears where else can you go!!"

Sounds like you talked to at least three different departments, got help from one of them, and now forgot which one of them gave you the help. Should have put that in your notes instead of stirring the pot and getting everyone confused.

Sears Installation

Sears in Cumberland, Maryland - MOWER Service?

Today I was once again reminded as to why I hate Sears. I have a Sears Rear Engine Riding Mower Model 502.256220. The drive belt went bad so I went to my local Sears store to get a replacement. As I suspected (because it is ALWAYS this way with anything you buy from Sears). The store does not carry the part. The salesman went online to identify the part number and to order it (something I could have done from home myself). He located the part listed for $10.97, but then went on to tell me that the shipping for the part would be $8.00. The part would arrive at my house by UPS on July 28th (11 days from today). At that time I informed the salesman that was simply unacceptable. I'd have a hay field to mow in 11 days. I will measure the part myself and get a generic belt from Advanced Auto. I truly have had it with SEARS. Your business practices suck and I will not be one bit surpirsed when Sears goes under. As for myself, I will do my part to make that happen by NEVER buying another thing from Sears. The real joke of it all is this quote from the back of the mower service manual. "Your Sears merchandise has added value when you consider Sears has service units nationwide staffed with Sears trained technicians. Sears technicians have the necessary PARTS (really???), tools and equipment to meet Sears pledge, "We Service What We Sell"." It should read "We Sell It, You Buy It, and You're Screwed".
Review

Sears... warranty a joke!

I bought an expensive set of stainless steel pots and pans from Sears, having been told they had a lifetime warranty... if any problem, just return the item and it would be replaced. Subsequently, the heat distribution plate on the bottom of one of the pots fell off. I took the defective pot to the same Sears store where I had purchased the set. The staff there, including the "Associate Store Manager", told me that there was nothing they could do. He gave me a phone number of "Customer Service at the pot manufacturer's". A call there was fruitless... they didn't handle warranties, and I was referred to another phone number for Customer Service. My call to that number connected me to a company which does only house party type sales. A call to Sears head office in Toronto was fruitless... they would not do anything to help. Sears has now lost any future business from my family. DON'T BUY FROM SEARS!!!

Yeah Sears is a big racket with their warranties and in my opinion their products in general. You get what you pay for. Just buy a higher quality product from a reputable mom and pop shop and take the extra cost up front. You'll be much happier down the road and hopefully Sears will someday go under.

You wouldn't believe what I am having to go through to get a simple part of a one year old treadmill replaced that broke from normal use. So much for a $125, 3 year extended warranty.

I'm done even going to Sears for anything anymore. I avoid it like the plague when I walk through the mall.

Sears ice maker fails after 15 months, no one cares

I bought four new kitchen applicances at my local Sears store in March of 07, they were installed in April of 07. The ice maker is not making ice. Sears told me that I would have to pay $65 for a service call as it is out of warranty. I have the standard ice maker that is inside the refrigerator. I should not be having troubles. There are two adults living in my home, no children to play with and destroy things. I will never buy another Sears appliance again as long as I live. I could have bought from Best Buy or one of the other chain stores but I figured Sears has been around forever and that they would stand behind their products. Wrong. Quality products last longer than 15 months.

Becky, there is a 12 month warranty on the unit, unless you purchase an extended protection plan. I'm pretty sure you were offered one, because I can't walk into a sears store without having one waved in my face.

Bottom line, you should have bought the warranty.

Then you wouldn't be living the nightmare you created for yourself. Had you bought it from anyone, you would be getting the same treatment, so stop acting like Sears kicked your dog.

Review

Sears is just horrible to deal with!

I had a Sears dryer that is about 7 years old. I called them for service and expected to pay for it. I was told I needed a part for the heating regulator (this was the second time I needed to replace this). I had to wait for the part to be mailed to me which took about a week. I called Sears again when the part came. They came out put in the part. I was then told the dryer needed a new motor at a cost of $399.00. That sounded ridiculous to me since I was already charged $150 for the part and repair service. I truely don't think the dryer needed a motor as the dryer is working except for the heat. Anyhow, Sears charged me for the heating regulator, which the serviceman took back with him when I didn't want to pay for the motor. I had 2 service call charges. So I'm now out $250.00 and still have had no dryer for over a month. I called Sears 6 times now and each time have been promised a call back within an hour from a Customer Service Manager. I'm still waiting. What HORRIBLE customer service! If I want to purchase a new dryer it will cost me another $75.00 to have it delivered and $199.00 to have it installed. After paying about $400.00 for a new dryer, I'll have paid in repairs, delivery and istallation a total of $524.00. Unbelievable! I think I should at least be rebated for the 2nd service call since they misdiagnosed the problem.....but I can't get anyone to call me back to discuss it!!

I always be the extended warranty on everything no matter what it is. Manufacture warranty is only one year.

Since products are not made like they use to, nothing is a guarentee to last forever anymore. That is just the world we live in today. And no mattew where you by a product or from who it could happen anywhere with anyone! Cold hard truth, no warranty you pay cashs.

If a service tech states it unrepairable or defective product w/warranty if will be replaced. So, is our fault to take responsiblity not asking questions and getting the correct answers that we need. And it takes more than 2 service calls sometimes to fix a product depending on what the problems is and how old it is. 3 parts failures in warrany and 4 service calls you get it replaced with a WARRANTY!!!

ALWAYS BY A WARRANTY NO MATTER WHAT IT IS ON OR WHERE YOU BUY IT. IT IS THE MANUFACTURES FAULT FOR THE WAY THE PRODUCT IS BUILT NOT SEARS...LIKE I SAID IT COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE NOT JUST SEARS :roll

Bingo1

Just to clarify .......the $524.00 is in addition to the $400.00 cost of the dryer. At total of $924.00.

I made call number 7 three hours ago and was promised a call back within an hour. I'm still waiting..................

Sears Maternity Line

Sears has just introduce a new maternity line that does not carry plus size maternity. Their previous line of maternity clothing extended to 3x. So, as America gets larger and larger, Sears decides that they will not service this population of women. There are SO FEW places that offer plus size maternity - only JC Penney and Motherhood Plus are the only national retailers I know that carry up to 3x maternity. I asked Sears customer service repeatedly for their maternity buyer to contact me directly and received a boiler plate canned response in return each time. Sears, shame on you!!!!

Well my advice to you... lose weight hunny!

The reason they don't carry the size is because the majority of the population is smaller than you. There was a time when 1x was the largest size you could find.

The rest of the departments only carry up to 2x. So why don't you keep shopping at your supersized stores and leave Sears alone?

Yeah. i weight 400 lbs and can't find underwear that fits. My doctor told me to lose weight, but I would rather gripe about someone not carrying my size.

Sears in New York, New York - A/C Installation

Sears sucks! there customer service stinks and their quality stinks. I calle for them to put in an a/c in the window and i was told that it would be put in with brackets, sealant etc... and all the person did was put in two screws in the window. I paid 140$ for this bad service and on top of that I get hung up on, put on hold, and just plainly treated poorly by there customer service reps. Then I filed a complaint through the BBB and the lady calls me back up with an attitude saying that I should have asked the installer how he was going to put in the A/C. Even though we stated it verbally, So now she says that it was a verbal agreement and that I should not have trusted them to do what they said they would do. Absolutley absurd, I hope this company fixes its customer relations because they are rude and just ridiciously untrained.
Sears Installation