Ecru, Mississippi

Astoundingly incompetent!

I made three trips to my local Sears trying to get a replacement mandrel assembly for my mower. Despite bringing my model and serial numbers all three times, the staff would stare at Parts Direct as if it were Greek, then cast about for whatever mandrel was on the shelf that loosely matched my description. Finally, unable to locate the part due to his own incompetence (and that of his staff), the manager insisted that my mower must have been cobbled together from spare parts, when the truth is that neither he nor his staff could locate their collective rear end with both hands and a map. These people literally had serious difficulties comprehending the idea of part numbers. I'm not joking. Six digits were too many to remember, and writing appeared to be a nearly insurmountable task. At one point, the kid helping me stared at the computer screen for at least a minute, silent, before finally asking, "So, uh, what's a mandrel?" The manager never showed the least concern that I'd made three trips because they couldn't figure out how to type numbers into Parts Direct.

Sears corporate was just as bad, offering a paltry 10% discount for the time I wasted -- and then, because of their asinine return policies, insisting that I return to the store a _fourth_ time to order the part. (At one point I was forced to take a gift card for one of the returned mandrels because I was "abusing" their returns, and Sears Parts Direct does not accept gift cards, either online or over the phone.)

Sears has lost my business forever, and if their response is any indicator -- they "valued my feedback" but, "unfortunately," couldn't do anything to help me -- they don't care.

In summary: Their employees struggle with the complexity of opposable thumbs. Their customer service is straight out of Dark Ages. And their return policy -- which you _will_ have to use if you buy there often -- is absurd.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from May 09, 2011.

Comments

To Our Valued Sears Customer,

I am so sorry to read about all the difficulties you had purchasing a mandrel assembly for your lawn mower. It certainly sounds as if you did not receive the type of Service we pride ourselves on here at Sears. We would like to assist in resolving the problems you detailed in your post.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so that we might assist you in a timely manner. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please refer to the reference name that we have given your post (Lawn Mower 5911) so that we will be able to quickly access your information. We do look forward to talking to you soon.

Laura D.