Ease of Use
Layout of Store

After 15 phone calls w/ Sears spanning 3 months – from when I first placed my order – I have appliances that didn’t match the order specs AND have not received a refund for an exchange order that also didn’t match the order specs. I have probably spend 30+ hours on the phone w/ Sears and documenting my communications with them.

Sears call system forces you to speak with a different agent each time. In my situation, this has meant re-explaining the increasing history of Sears agents telling me that they “understand my frustrations, and will take care of me”. Either they are lying, or someone higher on the management chain is intervening and falsifying notes on my order. I understand if this sounds unbelievable – before this order I wouldn’t have thought this was even possible. But in every communication with Sears (15 different agents), Sears has set expectations that did not come pass as truthful.

If you’d like to see details of the train wreck…

1. Ordered a stackable washer & dryer (over the phone). Agent confirmed that the delivered appliances would be set up to fit the nuances of the installation location (need left-opening doors, as w/d will be in a corner of a tight space).

2. Contacted Sears twice before the delivery, to ensure that the delivered appliances would be correctly configured.

3. Upon delivery, the appliances were not properly configured. Delivery guys said that a Sears service guy would have to come out and switch the doors. So we accepted delivery.

4. Called Sears. Turns out that the doors were not reversible after all, and that I would need to exchange.

5. Placed 3 calls to Sears (spanning over two weeks), requesting an exchange. In each case, I was told an exchange specialist would call within 2 days. I never received a call. On the last call, I was told this was because I refused to provide my credit card number (even though exchange items were never discussed). So they wanted me to pay to talk to an exchange rep. Huh?

6. Filled out a complaint online, and received a call the next day from a Sears rep. We identified exchange options, and placed an exchange order. It cost an extra $550 (as the exchange items cost more than the originals). I never received an exchange order from Sears, though my CC was charged.

7. The exchange items arrived, and… the washer & dryer were not set up correctly (left-opening doors). This time, I declined to accept delivery. This is now 6 weeks after the initial order.

8. I called Sears to cancel the exchange order. I am beaten down, and while the w/d are hard to access I just want to be done with Sears. Was told I would receive my $550 refund within 10 days.

9. After two weeks and no refund received, I called Sears to inquire on the status of the refund. Was told that the exchange order wasn’t cancelled. But again, a calm soothing voice told me they “would take care of it”. This time I even received an email confirming the refund amount I would receive within 5 days.

10. 6 days later, I called Sears to inquire on the status of the refund (still not received). After being handed from rep to manager to case manager, I was told that the refund indeed hadn’t been issued and that the situation was “escalated” to the processing department. They will call me.

Based on past experience, I will not get the promised call. And I will call Sears again, explain the situation, and be told that "this time it will be taken care of". And it won't. And I'll repeat this cycle until some magic happens or Sears goes out of business.

So, after 3 months I have a w/d that don’t match what the first 3 Sears reps “confirmed” and are inconvenient to use. And I haven’t received the $550 refund for the cancelled exchange order (remember, I didn’t take possession of the exchange items). And I’ve wasted tens of hours trying to get this rectified.

I won’t ever, ever order anything from Sears again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Customer Care.

I didn't like: Employee knowledge, No communication, Service, Lack of communication on status.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Oct 26, 2016.

Comments