South Hamilton, Massachusetts
With Company response Not resolved

If you live in NH or another state that does NOT have a sales tax, beware of calling Sears for service on something you bought from one of their stores.We have a treadmill & called the toll-free number for Sears service & scheduled a service call.

The next day, they had charged our credit card with the price for the service PLUS another charge & when we called to ask about the extra charge they said it was for Florida sales tax! When we explained that NH doesn't have a sales tax & the service was to be performed in NH by NH techs, they told us we had called the Sears service center in Florida, so Sears had to collect the Florida sales tax! This is illegal, according to the NH State Revenue Dept so BEWARE!

Sears is probably collecting the 'sales tax' then keeping it for themselves.They also have totally eliminated their entire 'Customer Service' department, so you have no place to call & lodge a complaint.

Comments

I bought a mattress in Austin Texas.The E receipt says out of area tax $60.35.

The store I did the purchase is only 4 miles where the mattress was delivered. I called the store myself and the person on the phone says that the Sears headquarters is in Illinois so they calculate the tax from Illinois but I bought the mattress in the same city I live!!! Is this correct?

Are all Sears stores doing the same thing?:((((

I bought Serta Motion Essentials III Queen Adjustable Base from Sears with the new sears credit card.

Regular price $1599.99

Your savings - $800.01

$799.98

They charge an out of area tax of $60.84 at the store.

Today I just find out that they also add another $60.84 sales tax to my new credit card.

The State of Alaska currently does not have a sales tax, individual communities in Alaska set their own tax rates. I also was charged tax by Sears.com on orders made through Sears.com and trying to get an explaination has not happened yet. Any explanation would be appreciated.

I just had the same thing happen to me.I am buying a washing machine from a Sears Outlet store in Michigan.

I live in Minnesota, where we are not charged sales tax for items purchased out-of-state. Not only did they charge sales tax to my purchase, it was at 10.75 % - MN sales tax is only 6.75 and MI sales tax is only 6%.

So they have charged almost double the sales tax of either state, when there is little reason I should pay sales tax at all.There are Sears stores in MN so one could argue that I have to pay some tax, but I am also being charge a Nationwide shipping fee to ship the item to me, so I see that as incurring the burden of an out of state charge while taxing it as an instate charge.

RetroActive

I just placed a parts order online and got the same bovine scat.Sears' calculation of the sales tax was over 11% of my order.

The discrepancy amounted to less than 50 cents, but went ahead with the order because I need these parts to keep family harmony. I don't know of ANY part of the U.S. that has even a 10% sales tax; it looks similar to the old fraction of a penny roundup scam, but on a much bigger scale.

They're probably raking in millions!I am going to investigate this and would welcome any reports of a similar nature, with the intention of starting a class action lawsuit.

SearsCares
to RetroActive Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States #718800
Sears Response

Dear RetroActive.

We apologize that the sales tax that was charged on your order does not match the amount that you anticipated would be charged. My name is Jack with the Sears Social Media Support team. I came across your post and I would like to offer you our assistance. We would like to have one of our case managers contact you in order to address your concerns and to assist you in resolving any issues that you may have. If you would like to discuss this situation further, please email us the following information – contact phone number; screen name (RetroActive) and phone number used at the time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again we’re sorry for any trouble this may have caused and we look forward to speaking to you soon.

Jack C.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Bosun25:

My name is Susan and I am part of the Sears Cares Team, and I am very concerned about what I have read here. We would like to help. We are a single point of contact for escalated concerns which means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com so you (and others) don’t have to continue to be impacted by this. At your convenience, please send us an email. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the item(s) were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Bosun25) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.

Sears Cares Team

Killingworth, Connecticut, United States #271243

This may shock you but NH law carries little (if any) weight in Florida.