We've been saving our pennies for a while to buy a new rototiller for the garden- we do quite a large plot to feed the family. We researched and decided that we wanted a chain driven rather than belt driven model based on customer reviews found online. On the Sears.ca website we found our tiller- it even said it was chain driven! And for under 2k! Perfect we thought. (Link to tiller advertisement: http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-rear-tine-tiller/671-000926006-21AB454E599)

Ordered it, picked it up, assembled it... noticed a belt, but thought it probably had something to do with the engine..... I should have called to return it right then. We used the tiller and it seemed to do an ok job- the ground is still a little wet around here so we waited for it to dry up a bit and tried again. It worked for maybe 1/4 acre, then became a pain in the butt. It wasn't tilling anything anymore- that belt had twisted.

So we called Sears about the 2 year warranty. I wanted to return the piece of junk because it wasn't what was advertised at all- I thought I was paying for a chain driven tiller. We were informed that for "big ticket items" such as my $1200 tiller there is only a 72 hour window for returns, not 30 days like they advertise everywhere on their site and stores. So apparently we're stuck with the heap. We then called the repair line and got told to call the manufacturer, who said that the crappy belt was still covered under their 30 day (!) warranty, and was told to call a local distributor. Whew!

All in all- false advertising, horrible customer service policies, piece of *** equipment that we paid way too much for and are now stuck with. Hooray Sears. Never shopping there again, and neither should anyone else.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. mandyr3092 stated that there is a room for improvement of poor customer service and false advertising. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss not as described of craftsman tiller and associated monetary loss in the amount of $1250. Sears needs to issue a full refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned craftsman tiller in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Sears.

Comments