This situation sits unresolved after over five months.
I contacted Sears to do an annual maintenance check on my garden tractor last fall. The technician checked it over and told me it was in good working order. Shortly thereafter, it wouldn't start. I scheduled a repair appointment.
The technician arrived and checked the tractor. He told me he thought it was "losing compression" on one side of the engine, and that he needed to replace some seals. He ordered the parts and rescheduled.
When he returned he told me that the correct parts did not come and that he would have to reorder them and reschedule again. He then proceeded to sell me a complete tune-up package that included oil change with filter, new plugs, fuel and air filters. During this process the tech installed the oil filter incorrectly dumping the oil onto my garage floor. He did however, clean it up.
When he returned he replaced seals on both sides of the engine. He started the tractor by jumping it, and told me to let it run for a couple of hours to recharge the battery. He then left. I let it run as instructed. Afterwards it would not start, even when jumped.
I scheduled another appointment.
He returned and told me that my protection agreement didn't cover batteries, so I would have to pick one up at my expense and that he would put it in. I pulled out my protection agreement and showed him that tractor batteries are indeed covered. He took a picture of the section of the agreement that applies and sent it to his boss. His boss then called him, and according to the tech - "chewed his butt out for discussing this with me, that he (the tech) was not qualified to interpret protection agreements, and that I probably FORGED the document." He then left.
I called again and rescheduled. The tech arrived, put a meter on the battery and took a picture with his phone, told me that his boss told him to do that and leave.
I contacted Sears again and confirmed that the battery was indeed covered, and they rescheduled yet another appointment.
The technician (Stephen) left me a voicemail telling me that he was "ordering me a battery."
I followed up four times, and finally learned that the battery was not ordered and that they would then order one and again reschedule. I followed up again and was told that they cannot ship batteries (I guess they just learned this) and that the tech would pick one up at the warehouse in route to my service appointment.
Since then I have had five scheduled appointments, five afternoons away from work, and five no shows.
I called Stephen and was told that the no longer were covering my tractor due to abuse, and told me he could not be of any help and then . . . hung-up on me.
I responded to a survey about my service experience where I was asked to rate the service from 1 (lowest) TO 5 (best). I gave them a zero with explanation. I received a call from what I deemed to be a man of competence (in California) named Andrew the following day.
Andrew looked into my case, and is working as an advocate.
From Andrew I learned of multiple issues with this technician and that Sears is experiencing difficulty finding and keeping service personnel. Those competent technicians in our area are now gone, Mike (retired), Jeff (quit due to hours), and Charlie, who had serviced us well for years, had to leave for cancer surgery and treatment.
We have been on multiple protection agreement for 20 years, and are disappointed that this is what Sears has become.
Reason of review: Poor customer service.
Monetary Loss: $3000.
Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.
I didn't like: Service solutions.