With Company response Not resolved

Update by user Nov 06, 2013

Just was told today that my refund should be back in my account by November 22nd!! On an order placed and cancelled same day on October 18th!!

Please don't any one give them your money!! You will be sorry like me!!

They are a despicable and dishonest mess now--not even close to the iconic and reputable American company that Sears once was.

Original review posted by user Nov 02, 2013

I bought a $1700 refrigerator online at Sears on Friday October 18th and realized very soon afterwards that I had accidentally ordered white instead of stainless.I called within hours of the online purchase and was told that I could not just make a simple exchange and pay the $90 difference, but that I had to cancel that order and place a new one.

That would have been fine except they said it would take 7 to 10 days to get the refund of my $1700 (which I stupidly had paid for with my debit card and not a credit card!).

I explained to several people at Sears customer service that I could not and would not give them ANOTHER $1800 to get ONE refrigerator, and that any store should be able to simply reverse or cancel the charge and put it back to my card so I could buy something else. I even drove to a Sears store and tried to get them to help me do this but with no success. So I cancelled the order and bought the refrigerator online at Lowe's (a wonderful experience from start to finish).

I then wasted more time talking to several people at Sears customer service to try to get my money back in a reasonable amount of time. I was finally told that the best they could do because by then it was after bankers hours on Friday, was to get my refund processed on the following Monday--October, 21st. I was told today that this person LIED to me "because Sears has NO POSSIBLE WAY to alter their 7 to 10 business day refund policy". This was a credit card transaction in 2013!!

Even a Mom and Pop convenience store is able to void, refund or cancel a credit card transaction, but Sears has no way to do that!!!! REALLY???? BEWARE!!!) If they had not lied to me and I had known this I would have simply called my bank and told them to stop payment on the transaction (which did not actually get debited from my account by Sears until October 22nd anyway!!). It is now PAST the 10 business days from the time I cancelled the order (which was October 18th so 10 business days was November 1st and it's November 2nd) and I STILL don't have my $1700 back!!!

I called today and was told that "they were sorry" and they would have someone investigate why I haven't gotten my money back Monday (because it is the weekend and no one can do that on a weekend) and they should know something in 3-5 business days.

I now know that Sears is a horrible sinking ship of a company and making a major purchase from them is an incredibly *** thing to do!!

The only consolation I have (or will have when I finally get my money back) is that I did NOT actually end up buying an appliance from them!!I of course will NEVER buy anything there again, and hope to share my story with as many people as I can so that they won't either.

Review about: Sears Credit Card.

Dear Edwin, If i were you i would be looking for a new job.Sears and kmart have been going under for awhile now and the future does not lo ok very good for them.Years ago sears was all about customer service but not anymore.You can go into any sears or kmart and see how dirty and understaffed they really are.I would never buy an costly item there anymore because i know it would be ***.Last item i got from sears was a washer...never again will i pay hundreds of dollars for junk.I will now shop lowes instead at least they stand by what they sell unlike you.

Piscataway Township, New Jersey, United States #769467

Taking someone's money without recourse is a criminal offense.I don't understand how they can get away with that.

I think they rely on the fact that the good people they scam cannot afford legal counsel to begin with.

I would contact a lawyer if you don't get your money soon.Good luck

Sears Response

Dear cherylwhit,

We apologize for the inconveniences faced with your online order. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We’d like to look into your online order and provide you with any assistance deemed necessary to make sure your refund issue is resolved. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (cherylwhit) and the phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com and we’ll have one of our dedicated case managers contact you and to assist you in this matter. Again, we apologize and we hope to speak with you soon.

Edwin C.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States #736826

your last paragraph is so spot on......SEARS is a shell of its former self.........cant wait for the DONTCARESEARS on line social moderator to come on line and add his sympathy and pledge to help....its laughabble

to LTCC Houston, Texas, United States #747308

How sad this is. Sears will probably go out of business eventually and all they really needed was to go in the other direction to be a success.