Purchased a double door Kenmore for about $1300. also purchased 5 year extended service contract for about $1500.

Had multiple service calls over life of service contract. Refrigerator was a lemon from the start. So, paid about $3000 for a refrigerator that lasted only five years.

The compressor relay caught on fire, burnt all the wires including water line.

Sears said the best they could offer was a 10% discount on a new refrigerator.

I would never purchase from Sears again. Their customer satisfaction guarantee is a lie, so is their No Lemon program.

Corporate profit appears more important than quality products and customer satisfaction.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Nov 11, 2008.

Comments

Im the one from 11-25-2008 i just wanted to share this...

WASHINGTON – Maytag Corp. said Tuesday that it has voluntarily recalled about 1.6 million refrigerators due to an electrical problem that could create a fire hazard.

The problem has led to 16 incidents ranging from smoke damage to major kitchen damage, Maytag said.

The Newton, Iowa-based company and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said the recall involves some Jenn-Air, Amana, Admiral, Magic Chef, Maytag, Performa by Maytag and Crosley side-by-side and top freezer refrigerators. They were sold from January 2001 through January 2004 at department and appliance stores and by homebuilders.

The refrigerators, which sold for $350 to $1,600, came in black, bisque, white and stainless steel. Those with bottom freezers are not included in the recall.

The recall notice said an electrical failure in the relay component that turns on the refrigerator's compressor can cause overheating and pose a serious fire hazard.

Maytag, a unit of Whirlpool Corp., said 41 refrigerator ignition incidents have been reported, with 16 resulting in various degrees of damage.

Consumers were advised to contact Maytag to find out if their refrigerator is included in the recall and to set up a free in-home repair. Its toll-free number is 866-533-9817.

The company said refrigerators should not be returned to the stores that sold them.

Benton Harbor, Mich.-based Whirlpool purchased Maytag in March 2006 in a $1.8 billion deal.

Same issues with Sears, I had a GE refrigerator, paid $2000, lasted 2 years and serviced 8 times by Sears. Mother board burned up, I photographed it and complained to the consumer products. Product was made in Mexico by GE, almost set our home on fire. Lost hundreds of dollars in groceries, wasted 16 hours on repair calls, and lost my patience. I called GE direct, they replaced it at 50% off the price of a new one, so I had to pay another $1,000.

I complained to every corporate level at Sears, headquarters, Lemon people, lawyers at Sears etc. They accused me of being "hostile" and said "you are agreeing to decline our offer of $500 to replace the appliance." Are you kidding!!!

I've told everyone I know about the extremely poor service at Sears. The store manager never once returned my calls, the national customer service called me hostile, and I was never reimbursed for all the lost food.

Never, Ever, Never buy from Sears! Do not trust Consumer Reports magazine, who recommends products from Sears and a number 1 rating and the products have failed. I also lost a vacume cleaner from Sears, paid $300, it lasted on year before it too broke. Both items were number one on the Consumer Reports best appliances. What a joke!

Contact a lawyer and contact UL. Those products are faulty and need to be dealt with.

Good grief, if I spent a lot of money on a fridge and less than 3 years went by and a fire broke out, I would demmand a new fridge FREE of charge. Tell SEARS that you will never shop there again if they don't replace the fridge FREE.

Cowen, West Virginia, United States #49917

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I smelled smoke coming from the kitchen, turns out my compressor on my Kenmore side by side refridgerator went into flames.

We purchased it June of 2006, barely 2.5 years new. I have AHS home coverage insurance, they are coming out today.

Hey there, I'd have called the manufacturer, the Fire Department, ULC, The power company and my insurance company. They, would have done something REAL FAST!!!!

My refrigerator did the samething relay caught on fire at 3 in the morning luckly I woke up and we got the kids out called sears was told all they could was give my 150 to the repair guys bill and 100 to part.They act like fire is normal ware and tear