I attempted exchanging 5 boys clothing items that I had previously purchased about a week before and 1 item that had been a gift, at the Sears store in Concord, CA. I was exchanging the items for the exact same items only one size up. They were the same color, style and brand and were in perfect shape with all tags still attached to the clothes. In fact they had never been out of the bag except one pair of shorts that was tried on one time.

When the cashier tried to return the items she told me they were not on the receipt. Which in fact, they were. I found out later she had scanned a previous return receipt that was stapled on top of that receipt. After over 20 minutes she told me she couldn’t do the exchange! I asked her to call a manager. After 5 calls and another 30 minutes a manager finally came to us. She told him that I was trying to return the items without receipt. I replied that I was trying to exchange the items for the exact same item not return them! She went on to tell him that she couldn’t find the items on the receipt so the manager just told me flat out that I could not do the exchange! I had $100 worth of clothing that I could not use! I asked to see the store manager right away. After being in the store for over an hour I finally spoke to the store manager. I was told that I could return the clothes and purchase them again and pay more money (since they would give me an insanely low price for the return!) Why would I have to pay more money for something I was exchanging for the exact same thing???? I told him I would rather come back and return every item I bought(close to $400 worth) then pay more for an even exchange and he said ok! I took my items and left!

Since we were leaving for vacation in a few days and I needed the clothing for the trip, I drove 45 miles to go to another Sears in Fairfield, CA. I took my items to the register and they too said my items were not on the receipt but instead of treating me badly they did the exchange with no problem at all! Half way through the transaction the cashier realized the mistake with the receipt and redid the transaction. The Clerk was nice, efficient, and treated me with respect.

I will never again do business with the Concord Sears! Nor will I do business with company if this is a companywide policy that it is so difficult for a customer to do an even exchange! I find it extremely bad customer service that it takes 5 calls and half an hour to get a manager to respond to a customer waiting! Unfortunately this wasn’t an isolated incident, I was once in that store for 4 hours just trying to pick up a layaway that had been misplaced and ransacked. Any time I have asked for a manager or the sales clerk has needed help (which is a lot) it takes about 20-30 minutes for any manager to respond! Then they usually leave before the transaction is complete or before the clerk knows completely what to do. It’s a disgrace to treat customers this way!

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Apr 30, 2015.

Comments