My story is a long one that started August 1, 2012. I was shopping online for a range and had a question, so I called for support. The gentleman who answered was pleasant and very helpful. He offered to process my order and set up delivery over the phone, and I did so. That means I never went through Sears.com or a store, so I never got a hard copy of my order.

What I purchased was—

— An LG range: $1409.99

— Range installation: 169.99

— An overhead microwave: 309.99

— Microwave installation: 189.99

— Electrical work in case there was no wiring for microwave: 159.99.

The total came to $2239.95 plus tax, or $2351.95. I charged $2000.00 on my Sears card and paid the remaining $352.00 with a different card.

Then came delivery and installation. The range was fine, but the microwave wouldn’t fit over it. The microwave was sent back, and consequently there were no installation or wiring costs incurred. My resulting purchase total was then $1501.00, including tax. So I was due a credit of $851.00.

It’s important to note here that I never, absolutely never received a single piece of paperwork on this purchase. Even the delivery people came empty-handed. Indeed, I’ve had no email, no order number, no delivery sheet, and no invoice to reference. On top of that, my monthly statements have never contained an itemized list that I could reference. Can you imagine how impossible it is to try to get a refund without those things?

I have had limited success getting my credit, and it’s taken months of numerous, frustrating, nonproductive phone calls to get what little I have received—$340.00. I have no clue how that figure was derived. It just appeared in my bank account one day, and there was nary a letter or a phone call explaining it.

Now, remembering that I paid $352.00 with a different card, my balance on my Sears card for the range and installation should have been $1149.00.

To date, however, I have paid $2062.00 for my purchase: $860.00 in regular monthly payments to Sears, a recent balance transfer of $850.00, plus the original $352.00 on my other credit card.

Bottom line: Sears owes me $575.00, and I'm pretty near to giving up on getting it. Never mind getting a refund on the interest charges incurred during this time.

What I've been through in trying to resolve this matter curls the hair. In short, I've experienced—

— Enormous wait times and countless disconnections

— Inability to reach someone I’ve spoken with, so that each time I called back to continue the process, I had to start from the beginning with a new person.

— Constant transfers from one department to another and another

— Absolute cluelessness from all but two service reps

— Inability to speak to a manager

— A ridiculously inadequate billing system (in fact, someone had to research my order because it wasn’t where it should have been in the system)

— No computer tracking of my calls so that reps could see what had and should have happened to date.

In total, I have spent days and days trying to get my money back. It’s taken almost eight months, and still the matter isn’t resolved. The reps are nice enough, and they do try, but their hands are tied by the company’s antiquated customer-service processes.

Indeed, Sears has the absolute worst billing and customer service operations I’ve encountered in my 50+ years of shopping. I will never purchase from the company again, and I tell my experience to everyone who will listen.

Although I emailed a Sears executive, I've since realized he wasn't the correct person to contact. Tomorrow, I'll be calling the executive complaint department. I can just imagine the runaround I'll get from them.

Review about: Sears Delivery Service.

Comments

SearsCares
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States #625834

O2bqueen

I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with the return of your range. At Sears, we pride ourselves on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have not met that goal here. From your post I can see that this has been a source of great frustration for you and we would like to assist. My name is Liz with the Sears Social Media Support team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your Screen name (o2bqueen) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Liz R.