My elderly friend purchased lens and frame from Waterford, CT Sears Optical. A few months back she noted that the edges of the lens were becoming milky, and that they were slowly getting worse.

A visit to her ophthalmologist confirmed that the lens were defective. The doc assured her that it could not have been from anything she had done to the lens , but that it was an inherently defective product. I accompanied my friend today (9/28/12) to the Waterford store and she was advised that although the manager agreed that the lens were defective, she said it was TOO LATE for them to be responsible for replacing them. When my friend explained that the defect hadn't become to be visible until a few months ago, the manager just reiterated their lack of responsibility and that it was too late.

This is extraordinarily poor customer service. Since there was no disagreement that Sears had sold defective lens, then it is obvious that they should replace those lens free of cost to the consumer. When the consumer is 73 years old this lack of concern is even more offensive since the elderly are on fixed and limited incomes.

Lou D'Ambrosio, CEO for Sears , has been quoted as saying: "We're here to transform this company, to make it great again." D'Ambrosio said Sears hopes to reconnect and focus on the customer. "I think price is important, but it's not the only thing.

I think what customers want is great quality, affordable prices, and outstanding service." If you bought something and you want to return it - no receipt required.

Where is the "great quality" and where is the "outstanding service" when a customer's bifocals become opaque around the edges due to a product defect and Sears can just say too bad? If Mr. D'Ambrosio really wants to "transform" the company as he says, I think he should begin with listening to the lack of caring from his staff to senior citizens with honest complaints that even their own opthalmologist confirmed were valid. Over the years I have purchased many Sears items, major appliances, as has my friend.

Given this experience I can't imagine doing so in the future. My friend is 73 but I am not and I think Sears is foolish to give up all the potential appliances, household items, etc., that I would buy over a lifetime, as well as any others I can tell of her experience, just to save a few dollars to replace lens for a woman on social security. She deserved better treatment. She deserved new glasses.

This is not a luxury. This is her vision.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Manager.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 29, 2012.

Comments

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #576361

you do realize that Sears Optical has nothing to do with Sears? They rent the name and the store space.

That's IT. Sears has no control over the policies of the optical department. The company you have a problem with, the one that ACTUALLY sets the awful policies, provides the crappy product, and screws people over is called Luxottica Retail.

It is an Italian company that owns Sears Optical, Target Optical, Pearle Vision, Ilori, Sunglass Hut, and Optical Shop of Aspen. I suggest you boycott them.

to anon Seattle, Washington, United States #593400

You sound like a disgruntled ex-employee of Luxottica, not a consumer. I have worked at Sears Optical for ten years.

My dept. and I provide excellent customer service every day, and pride ourselves on giving every customer the best and fairest service. What you are not taking into consideration is that the person writing the complaint above has not stated how long his friend had her glasses. What if it was three years?

Are you suggesting they should have given her free lenses? Show me a company that would! Perhaps she didn't get the most compassionate care, which is definitely a miss, but it is not reasonable to paint an entire organization based on the little info you just received.

In addition, has it not occurred to you that the eye doctor who stated that the lenses are defective is very likely trying to secure his future business from this elderly customer? Your response is neither rational or helpful.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States #569370

I buy my contact lenses and glasses from Sears, this is a very sorry way to treat a customer, particularly an elderly one. If I hear more stories like this I will take my business elsewhere.