Sears - Failure to Clean Ducts and Left House a Nasty Mess
My girlfriend moved in and was having issues with allergies. Knowing my ducts were very dirty, we called Sears to clean our ducts. They came out, I was present when they arrived and they explained how the system worked. They started to set up, and I had to return to work so my girlfriend stayed while they did the job.
Before I left, they covered the main walkway in the living room, the TV in the living room and tv in the main bedroom. They completed the work and my girlfriend paid them. After they left, my girlfriend called to say that they left, but the house was very dusty. When I came home, I found that the house was COVERED in nasty tobacco smelling filth (the former owner was a heavy smoker). EVERYTHING in the house was covered and the air was filled with this nasty dust that used to be in the ducts.
Worse then the mess that they left, I used a borrowed duct camera to view inside the ducts. I found that the ducts had INCHES of dust and filth in them still. Some of the return vents I could stick my hand in and grab baseball and softball sized clumps of nasty smelly brown dust clump. The stuff that was previously settled in the ducts was now all over my house and the ducts STILL were full of it.
Everything in the house except the two TV's had to be cleaned thoroughly. My girlfriends skin was terrible from all the dust now floating in the house because of her allergies. Worse, they took my $150 for cleaning the ducts and DID NOT CLEAN THE DUCTS! According to my girlfriend, the sears team was more about speed then doing a good job. She said they raced from one duct to the next. They could not have checked on their work because some ducts you could look inside of them without a camera and see inches of dirt/debris/dust with the naked eye.
Supposedly the person leading the crew was the manager for all of WI. He said he was training the team. He did a horrible job of training because the job was not completed properly and they made a mess of my house. In addition, they scratched my toilet seat when cleaning the duct above it, and broke my doorbell.
I called customer service who offered to send them out again. I told them I do not want someone to come out just to make a mess of my house again, I wanted a full refund! The supervisor told the customer service person that they covered everything in the house (which they did not) and that the dust was caused by a kitchen renovation. Our kitchen is NOT being renovated, we told the guy that we were going to renovate it in the future!
I offered to send the customer service person pictures of the dirty ducts, the filth that was covering the entire house, and a video of the duct camera showing the dirty ducts that were not cleaned. She said she'd like them, but then did not give me instructions on where to send them.
The customer service person said she was submitting our claim to their "upper management" to approve a refund. It has been weeks and we have not heard from them. I have followed up multiple times but I always get the run around and was told repeatedly that it was submitted for approval but couldn't tell me when we would know. They never gave me a refund, nor have they contacted me again.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Sears Duct Cleaning
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Six months ago, we purchased a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. It was the best based on Consumer Reports (I had horrible experience with Samsung, so we were relying on Consumer Reports)...."
- "This refrigerator is quite cheap, but don't this let the price fool you. The quality of the stainless steel is the worst. After 3 months since we purchased it, front..."
- "Spend hours on Labors day weekend picking out four major appliances for my kitchen renovation. Went to place my order and the website froze. No problem. Started..."
- "Wanted to ascertain how much it would be to add a day to our upcoming trip. First tried to use the "we will call you back and you won't lose..."
- "Hired a painter through Thumbtack to stain my deck. Contractor did a competent job, but handled personal items carelessly; stain on grill, and patio doors, grill tools and grill cover..."
- "My boyfriend sends me flowers for birthdays and for Valentine's Day. Because Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday, he wanted to have flowers sent on Friday the 12th to my..."
- "Purchased a HP DC7900 tower from Joy (thru Walmart) two months ago. It arrived a day early and worked perfectly. Even though Windows Update was broken, that was the fault..."
- "I ordered something on ali express and made payment through my debit card. Amount got debited from my account. but i cancelled order before verification. although payment has been made..."
- "I ordered a pair of faxon canvas low sneakers that were navy blue and lime green. I was originally happy with the purchase and started to wear the shoes out...."