With Company response Not resolved

I bought a Craftsman garage door opener from Sears, in part because it had a 3 year parts warranty which I figured a reputable place like Sears would honor.Looks like I was wrong.

I was having an intermittent issue with the sensors where the garage door would randomly not close because the sensors were detecting a blockage when nothing was there. This was just a nuisance, but I was getting tired of it, so 4 months after buying it I called in to get replacement sensors under warranty. I explained the issue to the service rep over the phone, who admitted it was likely the sensors being the issue, but that I would be required to have a technician come to my house to "diagnose" the issue. The service call would be $75, even though the sensors themselves are only $40 (and would be covered if found defective).

I explained that there isn't much to troubleshoot; the sensors either have their LEDs on solid (which they do), or they don't; it's not an installation issue, especially since most of the time they work. I asked if I could remove the sensors and bring them to a Sears store for parts replacement (since there is a 3 year warranty on parts, not labor, which I understand, but I am not asking for free labor, just a replacement part). He stated this could not be done. I don't understand how Sears can state there's a 3 year parts warranty but refuse to honor replacing a defective part at no charge (I do not need or want their service visit).

This seems fraudulent to me; I have never heard of a part covered under warranty being refused to be exchanged for a new part even if I did the labor of bringing the part to them.I will report this to the FTC and state consumer commission if this cannot be resolved.

Review about: Sears Installation.

Tucker, Georgia, United States #603592

Ok...I emailed Sears Social Media Support, and no response....it's been close to 2 weeks, what gives?

Sears Response

Dear dgewertz,

My name is Jay and I am part of the Social Media Support team at Sears and I am very alarmed about what I have read here. We are truly sorry for the trouble and inconvenience that you have encountered with your garage door opener and our service. We understand the importance of saving everywhere we can and being charged for something that you feel should be covered under warranty can be a bit costly. We would like to look further into what has happen surrounding this matter and see what can be done to correct any mistakes that may have been made to help minimize your frustrations. At your convenience, please send us an email to smadvisor@searshc.com providing a contact phone number and the phone number that the garage door opener was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (dgewertz) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Jay C.

Social Media Moderator

Social Media Support Team

I see your point, it's bad when Sears won't honor a warranty for defective parts.I've seen a lot of warranties that say you have to send the defective part back to the manufacturer, then they will repair or replace if it's defective, but it seems that Sears warranties don't specify how to get the free replacement parts, and their customer service says that consumers have to pay for diagnosis before they'll honor the warranty.

This seems like a scam.

Maybe it would be better to contact the Better Business Bureau.I've heard they will submit a complaint on behalf of a consumer and be the middle-man to get things done.