With Company response

On June 29, 2013 I purchased a refrigerator from Sears. The salesman convinced me to open a Sears’ account to give me a discount and pay over 12 months w/o interest. I gave him my name, address, etc., and showed legal documentation, my driver's license, confirming my information. The refrigerator was delivered to my correct address. I received many advertisements from Sears at my address, but no bill or card. I called Sears to find out when I would receive a bill.

I finally spoke to an individual with the credit department, to whom I explained the situation. He started by asking me for my credit card number! Obviously, he was not listening to me. I again explained the issue and therefore did not have a credit card #, and he asked for my SS#. He then asked my name. When I gave him my name he proceeded to tell me that I gave a WRONG name. I confirmed that the SS# was correct, and explained that I had given my correct name. After some hinting, I realized that Sears had changed my name from my correct maiden name to the last name of my EX-husband, whom I had divorced 12 YEARS AGO. Then I find out that a credit card with my ex-husband's last name on it was mailed to my ex-husband, at an address at which I have NEVER EVEN been to, much less lived. (Apparently, he had moved there3-4 years after the divorce.) Oh, and by the way, there was a late fee!!!! I do not know why someone would take it upon themselves to change my correct information to incorrect information and mail a credit card, which I signed for, to a man who has not only filed bankruptcy, but had moved to evade making payments on loans and credit cards in his name. The individual on the phone did not have a grasp as to the seriousness of the situation. He said he would remove the "late charge" and mail me another statement and card. I have yet to receive either!

I then proceeded to e-mail my situation to what I thought was a Sears' complaint site. I received an e-mail saying, "Thank you for contacting sears.com regarding your credit card. I am sorry to hear that you have not received the credit card. It's perfectly understandable that you're very upset about what's happened. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you." Again, I do not think this person read what I wrote. This actually sounds like a canned message without any understanding or thought.

WHY WAS MY NAME AND ADDRESS CHANGED WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION FROM ME!

I want the bill! I will pay it off!! I will close my account!!! I will not do business with Sears again!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Credit Card.

Comments

Something slightly similar just happened to me. I applied for a Sears card and during the process, they had to call to get some confirmation stuff for me.

I spoke with the woman on the phone and she asked if I had any other names, so I said I was previously married to someone else and provided that name, as well as my maiden name, but explained my current name is my legal name and has been for over a year. She said okay and I handed the phone back to the sales associate. Everything got approved and she handed me my temporary card... Which I immediately realized has my former last name on it- my ex husband's last name.

I said this was a mistake and she said that unfortunately, they can't change it because it's automated when I put in my social. What kind of automated system would show them a name I haven't used in over a year, which is not my legal name, and which I have no valid ID for?? I have filed taxes in my current name... And also bought a HOUSE.

What kind of system are they using to check people's last credit?? The bill had better go to my current address...

I still get questions occasionally asking me to "verify my address" that is my ex husband's home I have never lived in. Ugh, I just want to be free of this man.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Anonymous439765,

We're truly sorry for the frustration and confusion over your Sears account. We can help get you in touch with a supervisor with CitiBank if you'd like. Please understand that our stores do not outline the credit rules and guidelines and may not have even been aware of the account details. If you’d like our assistance with CitiBank, who handles all of Sears’ credit and financial matters, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Anonymous439765), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Liz R.