With Company response Not resolved

I will try to summarize my experience in as little words as possible, however I am so beyond irritated and upset that it may be difficult.

1. December 15, 2010 pruchased ProForm XP 400R Recumbent Bike from Sears.com. Total price with tax and shipping $395.88

2. 60 days from purchase bike broke

3. Contacted Sears within the 90 parts warranty period.

4. Was informed that no repairs, replacement or return could be arranged until inspected by technician.

5. Three weeks later (3/15/11) technician inspected bike and ordered $490.33 worth of parts.

6. Parts arrived, called to schedule appointment to have parts installed. Apt. scheduled for 4/11 between 1-5 p.m. Gave customer service work and cell phone numbers.

7. No technician showed up. 6:30 p.m. on 4/11/11 I called customer service and was informed that my appointment had been bumped (YES she told me that) and that the next available apt. wouldn't be for 2 weeks (4/26/11) At no point were there any apologies about bumping me.

8. I then insisted on speaking to a manager at which point I was able to secure a "non-cancellable" appointment for 4/13/11 8-12 a.m.

9. 4/13/11 received no contact from Sears until 1:46 p.m. and was informed via recorded message that my apt. was delayed.

10. Technician telephoned at 4:07; informed me that he had received my repair ticket at 4:00 p.m. Technicians arrived at my house at 5:30 p.m.

11. Technician was unable to get the wheel off the bike, they are not equipped with the proper tools; only way for them to get wheel off was to take to machinist. Between 5:30 and 8:00 the tech and I both spent appx. 2 hours on the phone trying to convince the "Stack Dept", "Customer Solutions", and "Tech Service Depts" that the bike was irreparable. It was eventually ticketed as irreparable and I was instructed to call another 800 number and get an authorization number.

12. 4/14 telephoned and received my authorization number. Was told to give to store department manager within 30 days.

13. 4/16 went to local Sears and gave number to department manager as instructed. I informed her of the situation, but let her know that before we got another bike that we wanted to do more research. She was very helpful and told us she understood. And that we "certainly had more than 30 days'" to make a decision.

14. Approximately the end of April I received correspondence from Sears that stated "Thank you for choosing Sears to repair your exercise equipment. Now that it's fixed, why not also let us protect it against future breakdowns"

15. 5/21/11 Back to local Sears, spoke with same department manager; we explained that the only bikes Sears sold were made by Icon which has been getting terrible reviews; she understood that we did not want to replace the bike that we wanted a refund or even store credit. Dept. manager telephoned Customer Solutions and was disconnected once and transferred 4 times. Representative at Customer Solutions would not authorize refund or store credit only replacement; Dept. manager put me on the phone with the rep. who "wanted to know if I verified all of my options" and still refused refund/store credit. I asked what her "position" with Customer Solutions was and she informed me that she was a supervisor; when I asked to speak to someone who could authorize my request I was informed she was "the highest authority" however I stuck with it and finally got her manager who informed me that since it was out of the 90 day period (even though I explained that I had followed every protocol and time frame given to me) that he would not escalate my call and the all he would give me was a replacement bike.

16. In the time I was on the phone, the wonderful dept. manager was able to "refund" the money to my credit card. The receipt states "Sears has released this transaction to your financial institution."

17. Bike was picked up on 5/24/11.

18. 5/30/11 received another letter from Sears stating "this is your last chance to sign up for a Master Protection Agreement."

19. 6/2/11 my financial institution has no record of receiving refund from Sears. To this date I am still out $320.99 which was the amount "refunded".

I am a knowledgeable consumer with disposable income, the kind of consumer that Sears should be targeting. I have never in my life been treated in such a way that I have been treated by this company.

Review about: Sears Repair.

Comments

What a miserable story.

Pro form customer service truly sucks.

Avoid their equipment at all costs.

And beware that they operate under several different brand names.

If it is inexpensive and looks cheap then it us orobabky pro form equipment.

Update...thanks to this website and Sears Social Media Support I have FINALLY received my refund! It is unfortunate that it had to come to this! I am glad that I received my refund but I will never, never, never shop at Sears again!

Reading all of these complaints have got my attention. I was going to Sears today as my husband and I were going to purchase a riding lawn mower...it's not coming from Sears now. They just lost a customer, they scare me.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Poopsie07966:

We found this post and I wanted to reach out and express our concern and our deepest apologies for this situation. When we set up a service call, we anticipate that we can get the service tech to your home and the service completed within the time frame we give you. The issue with your service was most likely because a technician was held on service appointments that took longer than expected. We can’t ask a tech to leave a job partially done in order to make the next appointment(s). We wouldn’t do that to you or any of our customers. We also can’t know how long a particular job is going to take until the technician gets to the job and diagnoses the issue. Many times it takes longer because we are not going to cut corners for the sake of time. This does cause delays on occasion, but sacrificing quality for time is simply not an option for us. Of course, this is not an excuse, just an explanation. That being said you should have been contacted and added to the next day’s route, or the first route you would be available for due to getting your service delayed. We would still like to talk with you to see how we can make this right for you and help you to get your refund.

My name is Susan and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so we can get this resolved for you. We can help get your refund for you or at the very least monitoring the progress of the current resolution. We need to make sure that everything that can be done is being done on your behalf. Please send an email. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the exercise bike was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Poopsie07966) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

Take them to court. Our problem is we keep expecting Sears of today, to be the same company they were thirty years ago, or fifty years ago.

THEY AREN'T.

They no longer stand behind anything. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A FULL REFUND AND IF THEY CAN'T PROVE YOU WERE SENT ONE, TOUGH FOR THEM.