With Company response Not resolved

Purchased Craftsman push lawnmower less than a year ago with a two year warranty. Used several times last season, would not start for first mowing this year (April 2014).

Took to store, sent out for repair, and after a week received a call and told that it wouldn't start due to using "stale" gas which had subsequently clogged up the fuel system. Since this wasn't a "manufacturing defect" the warranty didn't apply and it would be $199 to fix it. Only paid $299 to begin with. I emptied the gas tank last October at last use of the season, ran mower until the remaining fuel was consumed, and then refilled it this season with gas purchased 2 weeks prior.

Standard end-of-season practice for me with all my gas powered lawn equipment. Use of "stale" gas use didn't occur, and is therefore not the cause of the problem. I know that and they know that. So either they are lying about it and attempting to extort a ridiculous amount of money to fix a problem that doesn't exist, or they are totally incompetent.

Not sure which, but neither is acceptable. When I get the mower back (unrepaired), I'll take it to a local shop and find out what the real problem is. If there is no evidence to back up their "stale gas" claim, I'll send this to the NC Attorney General's office for investigation, and my guess is it won't be the first complaint they've received. I've spent a lot of money at Sears over the last 30 years on tools, appliances, lawn equipment, clothes, and electronics, but no more.

Sears has seen the last of my money. Their demise is self-inflicted and apparently overdue, and while I never wish to see an American company close its' doors, in this case it's predictable and justified.

Comments

SearsCares
Sears Response

We would like to have a member from our team contact you and help provide you with answers about your lawnmower. Please email searsservice@searshc.com with the full name, address, phone number and URL associated with your service order and this post.