Ease of Use
Layout of Store

After many years as a Sears customer I've sent a formal complaint with documentation to the State of Florida agencies that Sears is engaging through fraudulent sales practices involving their field technicians.For the last three months I've been trying to get my Kenmore dryer repaired which needs just a replacement control panel.

The Sears technician who diagnosed the panel ordered a new one at the cost of over $400 and in addition to the service fee for the visit. He said that if I signed up for a Sears Home Warranty that I could cut the cost in half. He mentions that the panel that will arrive won't have any branding on it and "not to worry, they're all like that." The part arrives and another technician arrives to install it. First, the panel powers up but the digital number don't display right even though you could still recognize the numbers.

The technician says it's no big deal. Then this technician, as he's packing up his tools and walking out, solicits me regarding his appliance and home repair business he has on the side and hands me a hand written note with his name and phone number. The part fails to no surprise. I file a claim on the new warranty and a third party company comes out to diagnose the panel.

He charges me the deductible, another $79, and says that he will order the part. After three weeks and no word on contact them to find out that Sears had cancelled my claim. According to sears the part wasn't covered under under the warranty and the claim was cancelled. First, I was not contacted regarding the cancellation by phone or email or mail.

Second, the only reason I was compelled to buy the warranty was due to having that part covered. I've cancelled the warranty and I'm purchasing a new dryer from a different seller tomorrow and having this one hauled away.

I'm out $600 (deductible, service fee, premiums, panel) and I'm of the belief that Sears is "looking away" at the practices of their technicians.No doubt their field offices have incentives that require them to engage in these types of practices.

Review about: Sears Dryer Repair.

Reason of review: Fraudulent business practice.

I liked: Customer service rep was patient and polite.

I didn't like: Field technican business practices are fraudulent.