With Company response

To whom it may concern,

I’m writing you to voice my concerns about a recent transaction I had at a local Sears Outlet Store. I’m not one to normally complain but I've been so frustrated with this that I feel that I have to say something.

My wife and I were in need of a new gas range and visit the Sears Outlet store in Fall River, MA. I frequently shop at Sears and have a basement full of Craftsman’s tools to show for it. The Outlet store seemed like a good first choice to start looking for a replacement range. We did not see anything that met our needs at first and the sales associate suggested a Kitchenaid model that was on sale. The range was labeled with a "LP" sticker and I told the sale associate that we had Natural gas not LP. The salesman told us the tag just meant that the range was able to be converted to LP. I continued to voice my concerns and the salesman checked with a second sales person as well as a tech person. All three of them looked at the range and assured us that the range was set for Natural Gas. The range did have all the features that we were looking for so we bought it…

Upon delivery to our home we had a professional plumber install the unit. Thinking that it was a natural gas range he spent a lot of time trying to get the range to work. He finally took apart the burners and gas jets and discovered that it was indeed an "LP" range. He also told us that it could not be converted back to Natural gas. The 10 minute install turned into a $186 plumbing bill.

I was naturally upset with this and spoke to the Manager, Shawn Craft. I complained about the competence of the sales staff for selling me a range that not only does not work with Natural gas but is also a potential high risk of fire/explosion by trying to run this range with Natural gas instead of LP. Mr. Craft proceeded to reprimand me and scold me for having the nerve of accusing his staff of been incompetent. Mr. Craft initially refused to compensate for any of my cost for trying to get this range installed. He finally agreed to cover the cost of the plumber and would refund the cost of the range and send someone to pick it up.

After returning the range I again spoke with Mr. Craft about recovering the cost of the plumber. He again got upset and said he had never said the he would refund the cost of the plumber and that there no way he could just take $186 out of the store and give it to me. After more discussion he finally agreed to give me a partial refund of $100 in the form of a Sears gift card.

I am not at all upset with the sales staff that sold me the range. They all acted very professional and sympathetic when they realized the problem. Obviously if they had had better training in this matter this problem would have never occurred. I’m upset with how your store manager chose to deal with this. It has been a week now since this happened. My old stove was picked up when this new one was delivered. It will be another two days before a replacement range is delivered. We’ve had to eat out, call for take-out, and get creative in cooking everything in either the microwave or outdoor grill. I can deal with all the inconveniences. What I cannot deal with is the uncaring and demeaning attitude of management to customers. It will be a long time before I make any major purchase or repairs at your stores… If I ever receive the "$100" gift card that was promised I will be donating it to someone else who may need of supplies or services.

I realize that the actions of one individual do not necessarily reflect on the attitude of the whole organization. I look forward to having better dealings with Sears sometime in the future.

Comments

This is the future of Sears and the Kenmore brands-outlet stores and franchises that don't get the same training or have enough experience around to point things like different models for LP and natural gas.

Turn them into the Better Business Bureau to warn others. This IS the future of Sears.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Anonymous,

My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Social Media Support Team. I found your comment here and want to offer some assistance. We sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you have encountered with your range purchase. At Sears, we pride ourselves on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have failed met that goal. We would like to speak with you about your recent experience to see how we can make this right. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that you have been assigned to reference your post (Anonymous436364), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Liz R.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

to Sears Response Dartmouth, Massachusetts, United States #847505

Another dismayed customer here! Once I finally resolve this issue, a brand new fridge without a freezer that works, I will never make another purchase at Sears.