Having owned several Kenmore appliances – including 2 refrigerators - in the past, and being a loyal Sears customer for more than 20 years, I bought a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator in May 2006. Turns out this is a piece of junk. I have researched at least 2 recalls on this model since 2003. Mine died about 3 months after purchase and after trying to get a replacement through the normal Sears channels was successful only through the good offices of the salesperson the unit was purchased through.

Now the darn thing has died again. Sears has refused replacement again and will not discuss replacement until a service person has verified the problem. I guess I’m not qualified to tell if a refrigerator is working, while my food spoils and my wife is ticked.

After an hour on the phone, up through the food chain, Sears “I can’t help” attitude, and lack of response to a so-called “valued” customer and their non-existent customer service has forced me to believe this is not the Sears of old. The manager I spoke to even had the chutzpah to quote from the legal requirements document he seemed to have readily at hand.

It’s a good thing? I purchased a 2-year extended warranty on this unit, expecting further problems, and boyo, was I right! It would appear this piece of cr*p, made by LG in Korea, is destined for the trash heap once the extended warranty expires. $2000 down the drain.

So here I sit, on vacation, which is over the day service is scheduled, with a roomtemperator waiting for the technician. Then I will have to take time off from work, the day I return from vacation, to deal with the repairman, who I am sure will have to order parts or a replacement unit. Then I can take some more time off work for that service call as well. I will never buy another major product from Sears.

Tell your friends, Kenmore is no longer the appliance of legend, and Sears doesn’t care.

Comments