Don’t waste your time with Sears Holding Corp.Customer Service (847-286-2500).

They will tell you someone will call you. But they don’t. They will tell you they called you, when your phone log shows they didn’t. Every call is fielded by a different person, and what one agent says contradicts what another told you.

A favorite line seems to be “I don’t have the authority to resolve your case.” That’s when you get the empty promise that “the offline team” will call you. Initially I wrote a letter to Sears Holdings Corporate because I was told that was “the only way to resolve this.” After a month I received no reply. So I made phone calls and sent emails, being dumb enough to think that Sears might care. It was a huge waste of time, and very disheartening that Sears pays people to deflect your request for true customer service.

I don’t believe they are there to help you. They are there to help Sears not spend a dime to help you. Sears was once a very reputable company. It’s no wonder Sears stores have closed all over the country and that Sears Holdings may be headed to bankruptcy.

The details of this case would be long and boring, so here it is concisely: I bought a belt for my Sears lawn tractor that proved to be defective. I installed the belt. When the tractor didn’t work right, I took it my local trusted repair shop. (The nearest Sears store is 15 miles away.) They checked first to make sure it was the right belt.

It was the correct part number. They said I installed it correctly. It took them about 2 hours to figure out that the belt was too short by ½ inch. It was defective.

Their diagnostic work cost me $249 and was necessary solely because the belt was defective. I thought Sears should pay this bill, because the repair would not have been necessary except for the defective belt. They gave me a refund for the belt, but would not pay for the repair. After at least 4 phone calls, 3 emails, and my letter; contradictions from different agents; and wasted hours of my time, I was finally I was told, very curtly, “We won’t pay you anything” and, “You should have reported the defective part within 72 hours.” The agent argued when I told her it was impossible for me to know the part was defective within 72 hours—because I had not used it.

In the end I realized the people I talked to had very little interest in understanding my case or trying to resolve it. This was the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

If you want customer service, don’t waste your time with this organization.This is not the Sears your granddaddy knew.

Review about: Sears Technical Support.

Comments