With Company response

We took delivery of a Queen bed #08263787000 , box spring #08263723000 and metal frame #08216912000 from Sears delivery. The box spring would not fit past the entry way/up the stairs. The delivery personnel called Sears and spoke on the phone with an operator to get a number code for his sign-off of the situation; the phone operator also asked to speak to me. She told me that the driver would take away the current single box spring and I was to call the next day a number she gave me and a sales representative would make arrangements for an exchange and for a new delivery.

I called the next day and the phone call was dropped twice, after lengthy conversations. I was not called back. A third call I then made lasted an hour and a half, and went through several agents and a manager, and included several departments. Finally that call dropped. I was then called by Sears Recovery by Alicia --888-303-3264. When I returned that call to Alicia, Jason took the call and over another hour and 15 min. phone call, including a conference call with ordering on the line, I was told that they could not help me because I didn't still have the box spring in my house so they couldn't do an exchange, even though I had been told by the Sears representative and the drivers that that is what would happen. I was told that if I had redelivery of the box spring that wouldn't fit, they then could do an exchange once the mattress was back in the house, but because their records couldn't account for what I had paid, they weren't sure how much I would either owe or get credited in an exchange even if we were to try such a convoluted exercise.

There was also much puzzlement and disagreement in the Recovery Department over what I had originally paid -- Jason's Recovery department records showed one amount, which was $3000 or so more than what I actually paid and what the ordering department on the conference call said I had paid (there was also a difference -- although less significant -- between the amount showed on my order form and what ordering had on its form). The box spring which had been taken back on the Sears truck also couldn't be found in the Recovery department records as being put back in their system, so Jason said Sears couldn't credit me for that until the computers "found" it, whenever that would be.

Jason offered me a $100 gift card and then later offered me a $250 gift card -- which sounds nice, until it became clear that those gift cards wouldn't come close to making up the difference he said I would have to pay between the box spring I had bought and needed to return (and did return) and the split box springs I needed, in large measure because he wouldn't honor the bundled mattress/box spring package . And since Sears couldn't credit me (at least yet) for the box spring that I had already bought, there was no clarity on what I would owe even if I were to buy the split box spring outright -- except Jason guessed it would be close to $700 because he would consider my having bought the mattress and box springs separately. Sears would not honor the bundled price that I had been given, and in fact could not account for the price that I had been given. Later in the phone call Jason stopped mentioning a $250 gift card, but did offer again a $100 gift card. I repeatedly said that I was not interested in gift cards especially if I ended up owing Sears money, but just wanted what I had been told would happen: a split box spring of the same make and model to replace the single box spring that had attempted to be delivered.

This all started when I visited the White Oak, MD location and with the advice of the store clerk went online to complete because of an online 10% discount. The clerk was very helpful; we had just purchased in-store an LG washer and dryer, a microwave and Kenmore vacuum.

What would you like the business to do to resolve your complaint? (This is from the site of Maryland's Attorney General...) I would like the exchange of the returned box spring to be honored, and I would like Sears to treat their customers better. Ordering the bed in the first place and trying to get their advertised package was difficult; now trying to return/exchange the box spring has been a nightmare. I grew up with Sears, and like their products and many of their sales staff, but think their customer service is so bad I will never return.

Review about: Sears Sales Representative.

Comments

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Anonymous,

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience, and frustration you’ve encountered with your mattress delivery. We are so sorry that you had to go through this terrible experience with your new purchase. We know that you spent a lot of money, and were expecting the delivery to go well. We value you as a Sears customer and we would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you about this further. My name is Delfa B. and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team, and we would like to help. We would like to have one of our dedicated case managers contact you in order to ensure proper resolution to your issue and an end to your frustration. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Anonymous386119) for reference to your post and the phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we apologize for any trouble we have caused and we hope to speak with you soon.

Delfa B.