With Company response

Renewed my master protection plan 60 days ago called for service on July 5,2011on a dryer and was told first available date was 13 days later. I then got them to move it up to 9 days, waited from 1-5PM for someone to show only to receive a call after 5PM.

that they will not becoming and will reschedule.They rescheduled for 13 days later or 21 days since the original call.

Calls to customer service get polite but ineffective answers. The girl answering the phone claims she can assist me but couldn't even reach her scheduling department.

Comments

Sha Tin, Hong Kong, Hong Kong #316340

In November 2008 Sears was called to service my 90 year old mother's furnace. It had been unusually cold and her old house was freezing.

My mom has been under a Sears protection plan since the 1980s and had come to rely on them for service. In fact, it was the only reason she could stay in her home alone.

When the service man showed up he wouldn't perform any service until he received a check to pay for the visit. He went down to the basement and immediately came back up stating that there was asbestos in the basement and he couldn't work on the furnace. This though Sears had come every year for twenty years and serviced the furnace.

What followed was one call after another to get Sears to service the furnace. When it was shown that there was no asbestos, all of a sudden the furnace was not covered under the plan, then another serviceman told her it needed to be replaced at her cost. One employee indicated that Sears would pay a portion of the costs. We never heard from that person again.

This went on until the end of December, still no service or offer to pay for a new furnace. Under the stress and the damp and cold home she lived in, my mother suffered chest pains and had to undergo heart surgery. It took three months for her to recuperate. In all that time, no resolution from Sears.

Out of desperation her family bought a furnace from another company in hopes that Sears might reimburse us for part of the costs. Nothing from Sears. Everytime someone called, there were no notes in the file, no mention of any problems or failed service. Absolutely no paper trail.

I have spent the last two weeks trying to open up the complaint again and get it resolved so that my mom will renew her Sears Performance contract. Once again, the runaround, no record of any calls or complaints. Pretty sure the customer service employees are trained to supplant Sears customers and leave them to believe something will be done when it never will.

Very misleading customer service. After all these years it is unfortunate that a 90 year old woman who had complete faith in Sears is treated in this manner.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Me/Rescheduled Service:

We found this post and I want to reach out and express our concern and our deepest apologies for this situation. We value your business very much and would like to help you. My name is Susan and I’m part of the Social Media Escalations team. My team handles Internet related complaints as well as complaints that come to the executive branch and we are interested in taking over the handling of this issue or at the very least monitoring the progress of the current resolution. We need to make sure that everything that can be done is being done on your behalf.

At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the appliance was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Me/Rescheduled Service) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Anonymous/Master Protection Plan:

We found this post and I wanted to reach out and express our concern and our deepest apologies for this situation. When we set up a service call, we anticipate that we can get the service tech to your home and the service completed within a timely manner. We can’t ask a tech to leave a job partially done in order to make the next appointment(s). We wouldn’t do that to you or any of our customers. We also can’t know how long a particular job is going to take until the technician gets to the job and diagnoses the issue. Many times it takes longer because we are not going to cut corners for the sake of time. This does cause delays on occasion, but sacrificing quality for time is simply not an option for us. Of course, this is not an excuse, just an explanation. We would like to talk with you to see if we can get a technician to you any sooner and make sure that your appointment will not be rescheduled again.

At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dryer was originally purchased under(if different than the contact phone number) and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Anonymous/Master Protection Plan) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

Happened to me, too. Apptmt was a week ago - no call; I had to call to find out the scheduled service tech was behind schedule & I would have to re-schedule (today).

Today they called (at 6pm) to say they'd have to reschedule another two weeks out.

Sears - this is unacceptable.

Are you listening? This is not the way to get me to renew my contract.