Toms River, New Jersey

I recently purchased a Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab 2 with Wi-Fi as sold by Sears online and picked it up at a local Sears in North Brunswick New Jersey. I opened the box to look at the tablet and decided that it was to small for my use. I went to return the tablet two days later with the original box intact, original plastic on on the tablet and all components as received in the box. The service representative at the consumer electronics desk stated that the tablet is considered to be used because the box was opened and if I wanted to return it there would be a 15% restocking fee. The box was opened but the unit was not used.

Sears Satisfaction Guarantee & No Hassle Return Policy states: "Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you are not satisfied, simply return your purchase in its original packaging, with your original receipt for a refund or exchange." In my opinion it is poorly stated and confusing on their website. On the top of the page it say that you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return consumer electronics. This what you see first after their opening statement. At the bottom of the page that you have to scroll down to see it then states the following:

Restocking Fee, Special Order Cancellation Fee (Not applicable in Hawaii)

A 15% restocking fee is charged on Consumer Electronics returned without the original box, used, or without all of the original product packaging, accessories and parts; Mattresses, built in Home Appliances, and special orders on Hardware, Sporting Goods, Lawn & Garden, and Automotive merchandise. Consumer Electronics returned in opened boxes may be, but need not be, determined to have been used. Special orders cancelled later than 24 hours after purchase are subject to a 15% order cancellation fee.

"Consumer Electronics returned in opened boxes may be, but need not be, determined to have been used."

This was in fact my case, yet the manager of the department would not refund the full price. I would not have purchased this item from Sears if I new this was the "store" policy.

I suggest that all who are looking to buy consumer electronics from Sears be very aware of this policy before they make a purchase from Sears.

Review about: Samsung Galaxy.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Sears Website
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $179
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Sears?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion