With Company response

I placed an order at sears.com for pajamas for my husband.I was charged sales tax.

There is no sales tax on clothing (including pajamas) in New Jersey. I wanted to complete the transaction online but had to call the customer service number to inquire about the sales tax. They said they would adjust it. Then I looked at my bank account today and yep, I was charged sales tax.

I again called Sears customer service center and spoke to a manager was said - "they charge everyone sales tax".What happened to no sales tax on clothes in New Jersey????

Review about: Sears Manager.

Comments

Stephanie, all you have to do is place an order at sears.com with a New Jersey billing and shipping address.After you are charged sales tax you can fix your website.

Then you can inform your customer service reps who place orders over the phone that certain states in the U.S.do not pay sales tax on clothes, it can't be too difficult for them to learn that.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Anonymous,

My name is Stephanie and I am with the Sears Social Media Support Escalations team. I have just read your post and I would like to apologize for the oversight concerning the sales tax. I understand that if your state does not charge for sales tax then you shouldn’t have to pay sales tax. I would like one of our executive case managers to speak to you and assist in this matter. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your pajamas were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name Anonymous / 1242012 for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Stephanie L.