I recently called sears to service my 9 year old Kenmore refrig/freezer for which I had purchased an extended warranty.The freezer would not cool below 40, but the refrig worked fine.

I called sears and got an appointment within 2 days. The tech showed up diagnosed the problem, installed a part, and declared it fixed and left. The next day I purchased groceries, many of which required refrigeration. Four hours after purchasing the food on a Friday night, both the freezer and now the refrigerator stopped cooling and the temp rose to 46F.

I called sears and explained that the tech who serviced the refrig/freezer only 2 days earlier had not fixed the problem, and now both the freezer and refrig were not working. I was told I would have to wait until Monday, despite it being the fault of the tech who assured me the problem was fixed. A new tech showed up Monday and ordered 4 parts. Tuesday I found out several of the parts were on 'back order' and sears had no idea when they might receive them from a 3rd party vender.

I know from experience that any part for any appliance , my refrig/freezer is a kenmore elite side by side and only 9 years old, can be ordered and received within a day. I would be willing to pay the additional cost to get the parts within 1-2 days. The sear rep on the phone said the parts dept would keep me informed via e-mail regarding the ordered parts, I still have not heard from them. My problem with sears is 3-fold; 1) inexperience tech incorrectly diagnosed problem causing me to lose food and increase the wait time for problem to be fixed.

Incidentally I was told by another sears tech that sears could now respond to service calls much faster because of an increase in hiring techs, which would be fine if they were well trained and experienced or were accompanied by an experienced tech.2) not kept informed about wait time for ordered parts 3) sears unwilling to obtain 'back ordered' parts in a timely manner

Review about: Sears Refrigerator Repair.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: E-mail with appointment information.

I didn't like: Lack of service on weekend, Untrained tech.

Comments