SEARS CHANGED THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AFTER ORDER SHIPPED!
Update added by user Mar 11, 2013
FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WHEN CALLING SEARS 'CUSTOMER CARE' I ASKED A VERY SIMPLE QUESTION:
- WHERE IS THE "3 DAY" TERMS WRITTEN ON THE SEARS SITE PRIOR TO ORDERING..
.. NOBODY AT SEARS COULD ANSWER YET NONE OF THOSE 'SERVICE' PEOPLE WOULD TAKE ANY ACTION TO HELP!!!
Original review posted by user Mar 11, 2013
Ordered a $40 item off of Sears.com and had it shipped to my UPS Store mailbox. They immediately provided an estimated delivery time of March 4 - 6.
I stopped by my mailbox on March 1st and found the package had already been delivered and signed for by UPS employees on 2/22. The date it was first signed for is the only date that appears when tracking and I had not actually received the package for a full week later since I had no reason to check my box that early due to the 3/4 - 3/6 est!!
The order arrived with prior damage and looked like someone else had previously returned it.
I did not immediately notice the note inside stating new terms and conditions for the sale:
"Claims for products that are received damaged must be made within 3 days of receipt. Failure to do so within 3 days will result in our inability to help you."
To further complicate matters, there is also another strict policy presented in writing:
"No refunds or exchanges on items that packaging has been opened and cannot be resold as new"
I drove 15 miles to my nearest Sears store to find that I could not return the item to any Sears location (LIE), instead I would have to mail it to a warehouse in New York and hope that they accept it! NOBODY at the Sears store would accept any compaints!
I got on the phone and called Sears directly, who also said they would not help and to contact the New York company who does not have a toll-free number.
Since it was "after hours" for that number until Monday I went back to the store with everything - receipts, packaging materials, shipping box, etc and was told there would be no way to return the order through their store (LIE - IT'S THE LAST SELECTABLE OPTION ON THEIR CASH REGISTERS but did not know it at the time)
Went back home, sent emails to the product manufacturer and 3rd/4th party merchant, made more calls to Sears... Guess WHO was the first one to respond positively to the complaint?? THE ITEM MANUFACTURER!!
Still trying to get this issue resolved I went back to the Sears store a third time to argue that they cannot dictate new terms after the sale completed and after a lengthy wait the store manager will be sending it back for a possible refund - POSSIBLE REFUND BUT NOT GUARANTEED. The store manager said he would proactively fight for a full refund but ultimately it was up to the "seller".
As the Sears store manager started entering the receipt information, I NOTICED AN OPTION SPECIFICALLY FOR RETURNING AN ONLINE ITEM straight on the main menu of the register!!! THE TWO PREVIOUS SEARS CLERKS I SPOKE TO COMPLETELY LIED TO ME, THE FIRST STORE TRIP IS ALL THAT WAS NEEDED!!!!!! GAS COSTS $4 PER GALLON BUT THAT IS OF NO CONCERN TO SEARS!
I SPECIFICALLY AVOIDED ordering this from places like eBay or Amazon who are well known for openly allowing dangerous counterfeits to flood their marketplaces, and only ordered online because the selection at my local Sears store was limited. This was also my first purchase ever from Sears.com
A $40 TRANSACTION COMPLETE WITH ALL RECEIPTS AND PACKAGING SHOULD NOT TAKE 3 STORE VISITS AND 3 HOURS OF PHONE CALLS NOT TO MENTION THE TIME SPENT EMAILING!
See the attached terms mailed to me after the sale!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Retail Products
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I bought 2 garage door openers from Sears in the Willowbrook Mall. I also paid for installation, thinking that a Sears Installer would do the work. Instead a..."
- "My parents purchased a Kenmore Elite dishwasher for me last Christmas. A couple of weeks ago a small rubber fitting blew out. I called 1-888-Kenmore to see about..."
- "All I wanted is to buy a shoe, which cost 60 dollars, the representative said i gt 20 dollar discount for the card. I fell for it, today I REGRET that..."
- " Drawing upon both 1Dental/Careington and Medi-Cal's scope of correspondent providers, I went to the Vacaville, CA WD office for an initial visit. I have been accumulating work to be..."
- "I'm very pissed about how I was treated in Panera Bread (feeling not welcomed and rude service) because I ordered a salami sandwich with mustard pickles and pepperchinis with a..."
- "Specifically; fit, finish and quality issues throughout. The RV is put together with cheap and inferior quality products, the fit and finish is horrible and the customer "NO" service..."
- "We paid $500 for a Larson security door including installation by a contractor! This door was presented with a video of being beaten with a bat, and a crowbar with..."
- "Beware! I would not recommend Gateway Select Properties to anyone! The 'owner' Katherine Work is really a piece of Work! Do NOT, i repeat, DO NOT sign their faulty lease..."
- "...all the shots of the ones I wanted of her in angel wings were terrible!!! Photographer only took two shots..."