With Company response Not resolved

We purchased a new refrigerator on 11/16/10. It was a floor model (Kenmore Trio) but not discontinued and was purchased as a new unit with a new unit warranty. The unit was still in production at the time we purchased it. On 10/8/11 the icemaker on the unit went out. We got an error message and called customer service. They said that according to the error message 2 new parts were required and set up a service appt for 10/17.

A few days before the 10/17/11 we received an automated phone call telling use to call a different 800 number regarding our service appt. I called the number and spoke with the must rude and disrespectful person I have ever dealt with. He was flippant and rude. I asked to speak with a manager and he continued to be rude. I repeated that I wanted to speak with a manager and he asked me if I believed in God. Again, I simply repeated that I wanted to speak with a manager. He said that he doesn't believe in anything because he is Atheist. I again said I wanted to speak with a manager and he either hung up on me.

I immediately called back, spoke with another person who was kind and helpful, rescheduled our service appt for 10/21/11 and then transferred me to a manager so I could tell her about the person I spoke with earlier who was rude and disrespectful.

Again we got an automated phone call a few days before our appt telling us to call another 800 number. I called and was told that the parts were not in yet and we would have to reschedule. At this point they told me that we could not reschedule because the parts were on backorder and they had no estimated time of arrival.

On 10/22 my husband and I both called the Sears Consumer Relations number to try to find out what was going on with this. We were told that they were trying to locate the parts but at this point were unable to do so. I was told that if the parts did not arrive by the 25th day that they would replace our unit.

On November 1, 2011 (day 25) I called the consumer relations department again. I spoke with one woman who was very rude. She spoke to me as if I was a child and when I asked to speak with her supervisor she said she didn't have a supervisor. When I asked if she was the CEO of Sears she said no, so she has to have a supervisor somewhere. I repeated that I wanted to speak to a supervisor and she either hung up on me or put me on hold never to return.

I called back and spoke with Tiffany who was helpful. She initially offered to extend my warranty for 6 more months and was again going to "search for the parts." She then spoke with her supervisor (she had a supervisor and is in the same dept as the last woman I spoke with) and said that since this had been dragging on for so long that they could replace my unit. Great! She did a search for my refrigerator and discovered that it has been discontinued. She then said that they would offer us a new unit, but would only give us our purchase price toward a new unit and we would have to make up the difference on any unit we purchase.

We searched long and hard for this particular refrigerator because we wanted maximum freezer space and have a drywalled nook that the unit has to fit in which is only 35 inches wide. The only comparable unit that Sears carried on 11/1/11 was almost almost $800 more than what we paid for our unit. We simply do not have that money. If we had that much money to pay for a new refrigerator we would have done so in the first place. Tiffany told me to look at the stores and see if they have anything I am not seeing online.

I did check my local store and they had nothing close to the price of our refrigerator that is a comparable unit.

After a few more phone calls I decided to go into the store and speak with a sales person to see what the price would be for a new refrigerator. The salesman told me that he would price match and beat any identical unit I could find. I found one on sale at a competitor and he said he would honor that price and give me 10% of the difference. He looked up the unit and discovered that he could not have it delivered until 1/13/12. I am actually okay with that if I know that there is a resolution date for this issue. My husband and I would have to put in an additional $100 but we are okay with that to get this resolved. We can swing $100. (On top of that the competitor offered a complete 4 year extended warranty for only $100 more.)

So I went home to call the consumer relations department back and find out

how to proceed since we are doing this as a warranty issue. I spoke with one woman who was again rude. I asked her to speak with a supervisor and she told me to hold for just a moment while she put in a request for a supervisor call back. After 5 minutes I hung up.

I called back and spoke with Kawanna who claimed to be a supervisor. I told her of the price match I wanted and she said she would have to call the competitor to see if they had it in the store because that is the only way they could honor the price match. Well the competitor has it available for shipping, but not in the store. Of course, Sears cannot deliver the same unit until 1/13/12 while the competitor can deliver on 12/5/11 but Kawanna said they still would not honor the price match.

So still I sit here with a refrigerator that is less than a year old and under warranty not working properly. Sears is unable to locate the part to repair it. Sears discontinued the unit I have, so it should be their responsibility to replace my unit with a unit comparable in style and size, not price. Again, Sears is not willing to help.

My family has always purchased Sears appliances. My Dad was a Craftsman man and believed that the only kind of tools to have were craftsman tools. He literally had tens of thousands of dollars of Craftsmen tools. All of the appliances my husband and I have purchased are Kenmore as are all of the appliances my parents purchased. At this point I will never again purchase a Kenmore or other appliance from Sears because they do not honor their warranty and their attitude seems to be that they have your money and they no longer care about the customer. If Sears cannot locate a part to repair my refrigerator and won't honor a price match or replacing my unit with a comparable unit then Sears should give me my money back so I can go purchase the unit from their competitor who can get it to me more than a month before Sears and will give me a 4 year extended warranty for less than $100.

Comments

Tiredofthis,

At this point, in my opinion you have exhausted and exceeded all reasonable methods to resolve your warranty dispute. In my opinion, I consider filing in small claims court.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Tired of this:

My name is Susan and I am part of Sears Social Media Escalations Team. I found your post here and want to reach out and offer our help in resolving this issue. We are truly sorry that you are experiencing difficulty in either getting the parts to repair your ice maker or finding a replacement refrigerator that fits into your pocketbook and kitchen area.

At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Tired of this) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sincerely,

Susan R.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

Tiredof this

Please remove my complaint.