With Company response Not resolved

On February 12, 2012, I went into Sears and ordered a refrigerator, a gas range, a dishwasher, and a range hood. I had previously went into the store on February 9th and spoke to the saleman, Charley Stein, who advised me that there was a sale on the 12th of February and if I figured out what I wanted I could then order it on the 12th and get the sale price. I asked him at that time if there was an installation cost and he told me that there wasn't.

I went home and researched online and found the various models I wanted and my husband and I came back to the store on the 12th of February. I gave Charley the model numbers and all he had to do was input them in the system. Prior to giving him the numbers, I again asked him if there was a charge for installation and delivery. He again confirmed that there was NOT a charge for installation and that I could have free delivery or I could have 0% interest. I told him I would choose the free delivery. He then rang up the sale for me. While we were talking and he was inputting everything in the system, my husband asked him if it was free installation. He told him it was. Although I placed the order on the 12th of February, he told me my appliances wouldn't be here until the 19th of March. Although it was over a month away, we agreed to that. Our present appliances were still working; we just wanted new ones. When I signed the sales slip I again asked him about the free installation and he again told me it was free, so we were told three times it was free installation.

The first problem was two weeks later I received a Sears credit card bill for my purchase. The due date was March 18th. That would be one day prior to even getting the appliances. I called the billing department and they assured me that they couldn't change that; it was due then. Therefore, with much trepidation I paid the full amount of $4,379.61 rather than getting charged interest if I waited until after the delivery.

When the delivery people came, they set up my refrigerator, connected it and made sure it ran good. Then they set up the gas range and installed it with the new connectors I had purchased. Then they brought in the dishwasher and set it in the floor in the box. They informed me that they weren't the ones who hooked up the dishwasher. That was another person who specializes in dishwasher installation. So the next day when I hadn't received a call for installing it, I called and was informed that there was a $139 charge to install it. When I told them it was supposed to be free installation, they connected me with the store. Charley then denied that it was free connection for the dishwasher. After many phone calls to the salesman and the store manager and the promise that we would be returning it to the store then, they finally agreed to install it for free and a serviceman came and installed it the next day. It took at least five phone calls and lots of threats, however, to get that to happen.

We were then told there was a delay on our range hood. It was scheduled to be delivered on March 29th and then installed on March 30th. Since we were going to be out of town those dates, we changed it to be delivered on April 2nd and installed on April 3rd. On March 30th I received a call from Sears stating that my range hood would be delivered on April 2nd and they would call on April 1st with the delivery time window. On April 1st I received a call stating it would be delivered between 10:00 and 12:00 on April 2nd. At 10:35 on April 2nd I received a call that said there was a delay on my range hood and it wouldn't be delivered until April 29th. She said that they didn't have any of them in the warehouse. So now I don't have a range hood.

In addition to all of that, when the discussion with the store manager was going on I read my receipt and found out that although I had taken the free delivery rather than the 0% interest, there was a non-refundable delivery free of $69.99 that I had paid. There was supposed to be NO delivery free. So here was another lie on their part.

Normally, I do not buy all my appliances at once. This was a big step for me and should have been an enjoyable experience. Instead it has caused lots of headaches, my husband's high blood pressure, and a total distrust of what we are told. In the future we won't be as gullible and I will NEVER shop at Sears again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Credit Card.

Comments

SearsCares
Sears Response

Lornad,

I truly apologize you feel you were lied to and I am so sorry we have let you down. My name is Zenaida and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalation team. I would like to get you in contact with one of our dedicated case managers so we can look into this further.

At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your appliances were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Lornad) you used to post on this site, in reference to your issue. We truly value your business and look forward to talking to you soon.

Zenaida M.