2.5
Ease of Use

Have been living through the most awful nightmare with Sears. On August 16, I purchased a very large 18000 BTU air conditioner from them. During the ordering process online, it says that delivery options would be offered on a further screen, but none are. You are forced to use UPS for delivery. And as I suspected, it was delivered damaged. Damage was found when installers came on August 18 and unboxed item. Installers told me that 9 out of 10 times, air conditioners delivered via UPS are damaged. Since they had already opened the box, I asked how I was supposed to return it. They said that upon reporting damage to Sears, Sears would arrange for UPS to come and rebox it and send it back. "Happens all the time", they said.

Impossible to contact Sears all that day, August 18, as "systems down".

Next day, contact their online customer service, which is in the Philipines. First they can't locate the order. In addition to order #, they need telephone number, salescheck #. I give them all this information and they still can't find it. I call back again and they find it. Now I ask you, what is the purpose of an order # if it doesn't identify your order? I ask them to send replacement for damaged machine. NO, no , no, they tell me. This is not possible. They will arrange for UPS to pick it up, which will be within 3 to 5 business days of their processing orders, and then ship it back to warehouse, again 3 to 5 business days, and then processing refund, again(!) 3 to 5 business days. What??? 3 weeks to get a refund on their damaged merchandise so I can order another air conditioner? Where is their responsibility in all this. And this is during one of the worst heat waves of the year on the east coast.

I find this policy ridiculous but I am over a barrel. What can I do?

They say they will send me an email confirming all this information.

I wait the rest of the day. No email.

Next day, 8/19. No email.

On 8/ 20, still no email, I decide to call back. The first thing I am told is: "Why do you need an email? It's right here in the system that you reported that damage and that the item is due for a pickup". I explain the importance of documentation. Finally, on 8/21 I receive my email. They give me a UPS tracking number in the email that says UPS will contact me within 3 to 5 business days for the pickup. Also in the email, they tell me "...if you are still interested in purchasing a "Navigator SF24 - Urban Street Electric Bike with Lead Acid - Step-Through Version", please place a new order on sears.com or contact us at 1-800-366-3028 for further assistance." Huh??? How did an electric bike get mixed up with all this?

Today is 5 business days later. I contact UPS with the tracking number they gave me. I am informed by UPS that the tracking number was cancelled on August 22, a day after Sears gave me the tracking number in the email and that they do not rebox items. So in fact, there is no arrangement to come get item and rebox it.

By now I am totally disgusted with this whole experience. I wrote a complaint through the BBB website but there is nothing that can excuse the ineptitude and rigidity of Sears Customer Service. Sears needs to be more concerned with their customers than with their share price, and they may eventually develop a more booming business since I understand it is going down the tubes right now anyway. I only used them because I have come to be a fan of Kenmore products which are only sold by Sears. But I don't know how I can be de-soured of this experience with them.

By the way, maybe I am a glutton for punishment but in the meantime, since it is really hot where I am, I ordered a replacement air conditioner and laid out the money on my credit card. The installers who originally came and discovered the damage said that they are sometimes asked to go and pick up items from Sears "if the customer makes enough noise". So this time, instead of ordering it by telephone, I ordered it by phone. I called my local store, thinking I was being clever and getting a real person who works in a store near me, but in fact, I got another customer service agent, although this time in Alabama. I told her I did not want it delivered by UPS. She seemed to dutifully note it down, but shortly thereafter, I get an email saying that the item would be delivered by UPS (!!!!)

It shows, the customer really does not count with them.

This person wrote the review because of damaged or defective at Sears. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $633 and wants Sears to issue a full refund.

The most disappointing in user's experience was incompetent customer service, return policy lousy and poor customer service. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Sears and ups delivery service for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments