With Company response Not resolved

I ordered an Elliptical exercise machine from Sears online and was really excited for it to be delivered. Sears had free delivery but charged me a small fee of $10 to have it delivered on a Saturday.

No biggie. I got my 2 hour delivery window, which was 10:45 am-12:45pm. I was satisfied with the entire process up to that point. At 10 am I got a call from someone that said "the delivery truck had broken down and the now the delivery window would be 2.5 hours later than expected.

Stuff happens, right? I figured it would be delivered by 3:30 or 4 pm and I was just excited to get it. Time kept ticking by ... well past the additional 2.5 hours later than my original.

After many calls and a day wasted, the 2-man delivery team showed up at 5:45pm.They got to work setting up my new elliptical and I was in the other room and at the edge of my seat because it sounded like they were doing demo work on my home. Bang, crash! Nearly 2 hours later, they tell me they're done. I get on it and notice the handlebar is loose.

I point it out to the men and they tell me "it's supposed to have play." They take the packaging and apparently the metric tools that ship with the unit to tighten bolts etc. I get on it to show my husband, and the arm falls off. WTF? No tools and too late to do anything tonight.

Husband and I scour 2 big chain hardware stores to find the tools next day. Got it! But wait, they missed some parts too. Errrr!

I call Sears in the morning and get an obvious call center in India. They transfer me 3 times and I get hung up on before I'm told the Warranty dept. is closed on Sun. I call on Monday to a call center in India.

Same deal... story told, transfers, and they tell me to call installation. I give Mark in installation the rundown and he tells me I'll get a call by noon to have someone come and look at it. No call back!

Call the next day, call center in India. No record of my calls the previous day. Woman says she'll send me a 10% off coupon for my troubles. I wanted to scream!

Someone tells me they will call me by the end of the day. I get a "robo call" with a new "delivery time"... I assume the delivery is someone to put this together correctly? Now I notice the price of my elliptical has dropped $20.

Argh! I'm also pretty furious that I spent over $1000 and I can't even use it for an entire week until the incompetent installation guys come and "fix it." To be honest, I don't trust they put the rest of it together correctly either.

Calling Sears has been a full time job this week. Very frustrating and I will never purchase from them again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Coupon.

Comments

Bridgeville, Pennsylvania, United States #884711

We have been going through the same thing only it's 7 months of this *** and still no working eliptical! Never never again! Stay away from Sears!!

San Jose, California, United States #861966

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm having a nightmare with them too and I was so excited to get my new washer!

11:05am Terrible experience with Sears delivery and installation of my new washing machine.

Let me outline the ways:

1. Called me at 8:10am with music blaring so loud in the phone that it sounded like a bar in Tijuana calling me. When I yelled over the noise, "Hello? Hello?" several times, a man finally said he was the delivery man calling to let me know that he would arrive between 9:30am-11:30am.

I was surprised he was not calling to say that he would be at my house within 1 hour, since that's how the Sears rep advised me it would work the night before. I asked, "Am where are you?" He said, "On the freeway.", which was annoying because it was obvious he was trying to be vague. I said, "Near what city?" and he said he was in Milpitas. I asked, "Am I your 1st delivery or last?" He said, "First." I said, "Great, then I will see you very soon; I'm only about 30 minutes from you."

At 9:15pm I got a voice message from the driver, letting me know he would be at my house in 1 hour.

3. They arrived a little after 10:00am. The first thing the driver did was walk up to the washer to uninstall it. I witnessed your installer using a large wrench to turn off the hot & cold water spigots, which struck me as odd.

I would have expected him to simply use his hands to turn them off.

4. I heard scraping and sliding, so I went back into the garage and saw the old washer being hoisted into the truck and the installer at my new washer, finishing his install. He turned on the machine and then asked me to sign the papers so he could leave.

I asked, "Why did you turn on the machine?" He said, "I don't know. It's what we are supposed to do to make sure it works and everything." I said, "Are you going to wait for it to finish?" And he said, "No." So I said, "Then why bother running a test cycle?" I turned it off and put my small load of wet towels in and ran the machine right away, as the installer left. As I excitedly watched my first load running, I started reading the manual. It explained that an initial "test cycle" is run to ensure there are no leaks and the unit is balanced correctly.

Hmm, I thought to myself, why didn't they DO THAT?! So I pulled my dryer out to see if any water was running on the floor behind the washer and looked up at the hot and cold water spigots and noticed water seeping from the knobs. My first thought was, "I wonder if they over-turned the knobs? I will turn them down a bit." Sure enough, both hot & cold spigots were turned tightly to the left, wide open.

As soon as I started closing the hot water spigot, water sprayed out, worse and worse, until I completely turned it off. The cold side was a slow drip and I turned it off completely too. It appears that the spigots have been over-turned/tightened by your installer and now leak/spray water. The hot water is worse than the cold side, but both are leaking now.

I took a video of the leak, which shows how obvious the problem was, indicating your installers must have known what they did and chose not to tell me. What I want? A PROFESSIONAL to come out and fix my hot & cold water spigots that now leak, thanks to your installers using wrenches on them instead of simply using their hands to turn them off. It appears that the spigots have been over-turned and now leak/spray water.

I am so disappointed. I was excited for my new washer. Now I still have a load of wet towels and no way to wash them. I've also missed a half day of work, for no benefit.

I called for customer support twice. The first person was useless and refused to give me a supervisor, though I asked 3 times. After the line appeared to go dead and I waited over 7 minutes, I finally hung up and called back. I reached Cindy, who said a supervisor would call me back.

By 10:00pm nobody called back. So I called Sears customer service, who were very nice and explained a damage claim would need to be filed by calling the Delivery department! So frustrating, since I called them twice already with no resolution or call backs. Terrible first experience with Sears installers.

I need the hot and cold water spigots fixed and working properly like they were before and I need a working washing machine - All ASAP. Tomorrow I am calling an attorney to see what my rights are because at this point, I feel I should hire a professional plumber and charge Sears for the cost.

San Antonio, Texas, United States #707710

I'm currently experiencing an elliptical installation nightmare of my own. A pedal fell off mine within 2 minutes of use.

The installation team seemed sketchy which is clearly true since the machine broke so quickly. Calls to Sears have yielded no resolution. I also have been bounced around India call centers.

They didn't offer a coupon! We are probably going to send this thing back and get one elsewhere if these guys don't come back and fix it tonight.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States #599545

Oh and my "dedicated case manager" is no where to be found. A lot of good that is! I can't even get a refund for the Saturday delivery charge that I paid!!!

Boston, Massachusetts, United States #599543

Two more Saturdays wasted waiting for them to fix it. First week they sent a team of guys (very nice) who came and confirmed the first delivery team set it up wrong, but since it was missing parts (I told customer service they missed parts and took the tools) they couldn't fix it.

I requested a new machine. Next Saturday delivery guys showed up with the new machine, but the original machine's bolts were all stripped so they can't set up the new one until the old one is returned.

Now I'm cancelling the order entirely but I still have to wait ANOTHER weekend to have this removed from my home before I can get a full refund. DO NOT BUY FROM SEARS!

SearsCares
Sears Response

khmac

Hello, my name is Christine and I am with the Sears Social Media Support team. I saw your post here and would like to reach out to you and offer assistance. I can understand how overwhelming your experience has been with your elliptical purchase online. I understand your concern with our delivery team and how we failed to meet your expectations. We apologize for leaving you without a working elliptical in your home and our support team’s lack of resolution or documentation. If you would allow us the opportunity, we would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss options to satisfy you as a customer and restore your faith in our company. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com to open the lines of communication with you and discuss your experience. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the elliptical was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (khmac) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we are anxious to hear from you.

Christine R.