1.9K views
With Company response Not resolved

Update by user Apr 16, 2012

Update by user Apr 16, 2012

UPDATE: RESOLVED 4/9/12 - Repair completed free of charge.Customer service rep/ scheduler was friendly, courteous, efficient.

Repair person replaced the control board & installed a new light panel with thermostatic override.You can call to see if you qualify for resolution @ 1-888-567-3438

Original review posted by user Mar 18, 2011

What would YOU do if you came home to find a strong odor (that of burnt plastic) in your house and traced it to an overheated light fixture in your fridge? Both fridge doors were firmly shut, but the interior light remained on. The plastic casing of the light fixture melted. The food items on top shelf were hot. Owners very concerned re:fire hazard.

Numerous calls placed to Sears. Note: with the Kenmore Elite Trio, there is well documented safety issue with "light fixture overheating" due to faulty relay in the main circuit board". Yet is not a recalled item.

The first Sears rep. said there is no recall, and quoted a $75 diagnostic fee plus an optional $250 fee for package which included extended warranty.

ALL personnel (a CSR, a repair dept, recall dept, resolution dept, and supervisor) reiterated that payment is required to correct this issue.The last person said to call Kenmore directly, and the same script was read.

I am concerned for my safety, and for the safety of others. This fire hazard has a great potential to cause injury and loss of life. When will it be acknowledged as a dangerous flaw and officially be recalled?

Lastly, why are Sears/ Kenmore consumers being being victimized TWICE -

receiving an unsafe product, then being charged to remove fire safety risk?

Any ideas? Please advise.

Seriously Irked with Sears

Review about: Sears Repair.

Comments

called the 1 888 536 6673 number and sears says the issue is officially under recall now.Parts sent to house and appointment made by sears for the install, free of charge.

Make sure you have your model# and serial # when you call.

I have the same issue. The plastic is melted and now the light bulbs don't even work. Along with the notorious Err FF code...this fridge is the masterpiece of minimalism

Call this number 1888 536 6673 Kenmore will send the part and somebody free at charge to fix your light issue. Sears steal!!!! they will charge u $250 for warranty.

Camarillo, California, United States #880291

I have had the same issue.Because I purchased my refrigerator from Sears in 2006, it is, of course, out of warranty.

I am having someone from Sears come out on Wed. for $99, and then, I'm assuming I will have to purchase parts.

I won't buy from Sears again, nor will I buy a Kenmore.But what can I do about the one I have that has melted the butter into a liquid and smells like it is about to break into flames?

Ricochet-Rabbit
to LInda #880299

Most people would eliminate the immediate melting and fire risk by simply unscrewing the light bulb.

Irvine, California, United States #753216

On 11/16/2013, my kenmore refrigerator got in fire at rear (probably compressor part), I have contacted sears customer care team, but no solving with just 'there is always the possibility that this

may occur. While it is unfortunate that this problem has arisen, we do

offer the option of purchasing our protection agreements both at the

time of purchase, and when the warranty expires, in order to safeguard

your investment.'

is this common for fire case ?

misterjohn73@gmail.com

:cry

Hood River, Oregon, United States #705740

Thank you for posting this entry. I just had the same thing happen to my Kenmore Elite and will try calling the Sears "REWORK" number you posted.

WE have the same issue.Sears claims they will fix it, but they can't locate the part.

Meanwhile, we've been without our fridge for over a week!:(

Medford, New Jersey, United States #631052

Addendum/ clarification: I gave up after the initial week of unsuccessful attempts to have fridge repaired free of charge.My husband removed the bulb to prevent further episodes of overheating.

We could locate most items we needed in fridge with available room light. If not, a flashlight came in handy. Approx a year later, the company contacted me and promptly resolved the issue. So to answer your question, yes, a year went by.

But in their defense, I was not pursuing resolution for a full year.I dropped it after the first week.

Did this take a year to resolve?