Medford, New Jersey
2K views
With Company response Not resolved

Update by user Apr 16, 2012

UPDATE: RESOLVED 4/9/12 - Repair completed free of charge. Customer service rep/ scheduler was friendly, courteous, efficient.

Repair person replaced the control board & installed a new light panel with thermostatic override. You can call to see if you qualify for resolution @ 1-888-567-3438

Original review posted by user Mar 18, 2011

What would YOU do if you came home to find a strong odor (that of burnt plastic) in your house and traced it to an overheated light fixture in your fridge? Both fridge doors were firmly shut, but the interior light remained on. The plastic casing of the light fixture melted. The food items on top shelf were hot. Owners very concerned re:fire hazard.

Numerous calls placed to Sears. Note: with the Kenmore Elite Trio, there is well documented safety issue with "light fixture overheating" due to faulty relay in the main circuit board". Yet is not a recalled item.

The first Sears rep. said there is no recall, and quoted a $75 diagnostic fee plus an optional $250 fee for package which included extended warranty.

ALL personnel (a CSR, a repair dept, recall dept, resolution dept, and supervisor) reiterated that payment is required to correct this issue.The last person said to call Kenmore directly, and the same script was read.

I am concerned for my safety, and for the safety of others. This fire hazard has a great potential to cause injury and loss of life. When will it be acknowledged as a dangerous flaw and officially be recalled?

Lastly, why are Sears/ Kenmore consumers being being victimized TWICE -

receiving an unsafe product, then being charged to remove fire safety risk?

Any ideas? Please advise.

Seriously Irked with Sears

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Repair.

Comments

Sears to this day states there is no recall but now acknowledging a class action lawsuit settlement 888-567-3438 to start process for "repair".

BEWARE that insulating foam in fridge housing above the light has likely melted, unseen as it is enclosed. The loss of insulation and resulting void allows for condensation problems to develop (humid locations) and higher electric bills.

DEMAND FULL REPAIR!

The repair process involves Sears Recall Center arranging for delivery of a "kit" to your home. Then you must call the Recall Center back to schedule a technician visit.

I just had the very same problem. I smelled something burning when I went to get water .

When I opened the doors it smelled like burning plastic and my food was hot on that shelf under the light.

We were unable to turn off the lights also when we close the doors the light stayed on and the buttons that should turn the lights out did not work. We had to remove the bulbs, my husband burnt his hand as the plastic casing was all melted.

The exact same thing happened to me about two years ago. I got the same info you did.

The light housing had melted when I figured out where the smell was coming from. I came across your post because I was hoping to find a recall had been issued!!!

Scary thing happemed to my the other night. Burning hot light bulbs in my frig. A smell and warped ceiling and plastic casing for the light bulbs and warm food had me wonder if I hadn't needed

that drink of water then the frig would have been melting until 7AM or worse.

Gary Steyn

cweepingwillow@sbcglobal.net

David
Sears Response

Becky123:

My name is Susan and I am part of the Social Media Support Team, and I am very concerned about what I have read here. We would like to help. We are a single point of contact for escalated concerns which means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com so you (and others) don’t have to continue to be impacted by this. At your convenience, please send us an email. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the item was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name(Becky123) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thanks,