With Company response Not resolved

Update by user Aug 21, 2013

No editing allowed I guess. Hit return before I saw the typo in the title; should be burnt not burt lol.

Original review posted by user Aug 21, 2013

On July 6 , 2011 we purchased a new Whirlpool LDR3822PQ1 from Sears which they delivered and carried it into my basement. I have never been able to plug this dryer into my GFI outlet because it always tripped it. I figured the GFI is bad and since this is a BRAND NEW dryer and only 110-120 I plugged it into a standard outlet. About 8 months ago the timer started running backwards at random times. No biggie just assumed the dryer timer was just a cheap piece of junk and since it was still shutting off when it detected the clothes were dry I just ignored this until....

My house was almost burnt down by this dryer!!! On August 2, 2013 I went down to check on the laundry and while I was down there I heard some fluttering noise I thought. I thought this was a bug or a bird flapping around until I saw the electrical flashes. If I had been ~10 minutes more my house would have already started burning. The dryer vent hose was glowing red hot and arching against a water pipe as we always ran the hose through the basement ceiling. Anyway, after my son and I safely gained control of the situation and pulled the glowing dryer vent hose out of the house we sat around trying to come to grips with what just happened. We kept checking to make sure our house was fine and no longer in danger.

I called an electrician to check the electrical service and wires, etc. He found nothing wrong with our electric. So now I know it is something with the dryer. I call Sears and find that it is out of warranty and proceed to take the dryer apart to find what is causing the issue. I find nothing visibly wrong. I knock out the lint that gathered and decide to order a new timer since it is the only thing not operating as it should. I plomp down $160 for the new part and wait for it to slowly get delivered. When it arrived, I crossed my fingers and set to replacing the bad one. Et viola! The buzzer is working now and the timer runs as it should. However, I go to plug it into the GFI and it trips it again!!! Back to square one again. So I open the dryer yet again determined to find the issue that is shorting the *** thing!!!! I unplug the start button, no gratis. So I unplug the heating element and BAM!!! no more short. So I figure that maybe, JUST MAYBE, I can fix what is wrong with it without needing to order it too. Most of the time with heating elements, once they go that is it. You can only replace, not repair. So I pull the heating element out and open it up to inspect the coils and what do I find BUT A PAPER CLIP attached to the heating coil and touching the casing. There is my short! Didn't take too long before my brain went "Hey, there is no way for it to have fallen in here unless it was during the manufacturing process."!!! That paperclip has been in there since before it was delivered and so for just over 2 years I have been running a game of Russian Roulette with this dryer.

So, I call Sears and figure they will do something to remedy this out of court. Nope. They say "Sorry about your house almost burning down. Since your dryer is out of warranty we can't do anything."

Sorry for almost burning my house down???? Thank you for the restless nights that we couldn't sleep afterwards! Thank you for a DANGEROUSLY crappy QC department that missed the paperclip. Didn't they even plug it in to make sure it worked correctly?

I'm done with SEARS and K-mart and whatever other *** outlet stores they run.

Comments

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear HallMarc,

My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We would like to apologize for the trouble you have experienced with your 2 year old dryer. We can certainly understand how this situation was more than a little concerning, and very scary for you. We’d like the chance to look into this issues you have brought to our attention, and ensure that feedback is provided to the correct management team. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (HallMarc), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

Brian S.