2.2
Layout of Store

I purchased a Sears Craftsman belt driven garage door opener in July 2013. Today I was awakened from a sleep by my garage door opening on its own.

Actually thought someone was breaking into my house. I went to my garage and seen that the garage door was wide open and the wall unit control panel was black. Tried to turn the light on and it did not function but the wireless controls worked. Now I thought, what if I was on vacation for a week.

My house could be wide open to anyone as the door opened on its own. What if my house was robbed due to this? Would craftsman be responsible? I would think they should.

I purchased 2 garage door opener assemblies for 2 homes and now question the security of it. The control unit (model 41A6317) will not power on. I verified that electric is going to the unit and it is just not working. I contacted 888-331-4569 (craftsman warranty) When you talk to customer service they're not even sympathetic to your situation, just ready with the pre-canned "we'll send someone to your house to diagnose for a $75 fee and then give you an estimate to repair".

I searched for the part on sears parts site and they want $109 for the part. Meanwhile I paid $179 for this piece of garbage units and you'll get stuck with a bill for twice that at a minimum to repair it. NO THANKS SEARS! The warranty states that it has a 3 year replacement warranty for parts.

I am willing to send the part in and wait for the replacement. They will not help me. All they keep telling me is that I need to pay $75 for service which I do not need. I can change this part myself in under 30 seconds.

I never needed the digital display unit showing me the temperature, making this piece of garbage control unit pre-disposed to failure by way of the cheap printed circuit board and moving parts that make it work. All I wanted was the quiet belt drive with battery backup but in Sears needs to nickel and dime the consumer, they put out a cheaply made control unit destined to fail and generate repair revenue for this company which is trending in the wrong direction these days. I highly doubt Edward Lampert would want his company to be run this way.

I will not pay for a service tech to come in nor will I pay for the part. I do not know which is bothering me more, the fact that they want me to pay for something under warranty or that this product left my house open and unsecured.

This reviewer shared experience about warranty issue and wants this business to offer any options to resolve the issue as the author lost $187. The author is overall dissatisfied with Sears. The most disappointing about craftsman belt drive garage door opener from Sears was not honering warranty Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Sears.

Comments

Brampton, Ontario, Canada #1270587

Thank you so much for your honest feed back i had the same problem and now iam stuck paying the price like you my friend..and sears wont cover my console under warranty.