With Company response

My friend and co-worker Erica purchased an older home in Chesterfield, MO. They hired a general contractor to remodel the interior.

They purchased all their kitchen appliances from SEARS (Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Stove, Built-in Microwave Oven). The appliances were delivered in November 2010. They were finally able to move into the homein July 2011 (you know how construction goes!) They have had issues with 3 of the 4 appliances purchased, most notably the dishwasher. The oven was the first issue.

It would not preheat past 250 degrees. They called for service and Erica's husband Carl took a day off from work to be there. The guy never showed or called. They finally called and learned that the serviceman had the wrong address!

Funny, that wasn't an issue when they delivered the appliances. Erica called about the dishwasher in July. It wasn't heating the water properly and the unit had a terrible odor. She was placed on hold for over 30 minutes and finally had to hang up.

She went to the Chesterfield, MO store the following day and was advised to use vinegar for the odor. She has tried that several times but it has not helped. Finally she was able to get through to the store and requested service immediately at no cost to her. She was told that a manager would call her later that day to discuss the issue.

The warranty had expired a month or two ago since it started at purchase, not at the time they were able to move in to the home and use the appliances. Instead of the manager calling, she had the sales associate who sold Erica the appliances call her and tell her the warrantly was expired and there was nothing they could do. She further stated that the warranty might not have been valid any way since SEARS did not install the appliances. What a crock!

The warranty comes from the manufacturer of the product, not the retail store that sells it! I purchased a Bosch dishwasher from Lowes and had the same problem with smell and mold. Apparently many of the new energy efficient dishwashers do not come with a drying cycle. Since they are so air tight, this causes problems with odor and mold.

Lowes worked with me. Even though my own father had installed the Bosch, they allowed me to come into the store and chose whatever dishwasher I wanted. Since none of the Bosch models had a dry cycle, I chose an Electrolux. It was three times what I paid for the Bosch.

Lowes, not only gave me the dishwasher I chose, but installed it and hauled the Bosch away! Now that's customer service! They have a customer for life in me!

Erica is getting ready to replace her washer and dryer. I told her to go to Lowes!

Comments

nikalseyn

A nice testimonial about Lowe's. I too, buy all my appliances from them now.

I appreciate the free delivery and also the knowledgeable sales people and even the delivery guys. All in all, I am a customer for life of Lowe's.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Anonymous,

I have just read your post and it has raised concern. From what you have posted it is understandable why your friend Erica would be upset or frustrated. We do value her patronage and we would like to have one of our dedicated case managers contact her. At her convenience, she can contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so she doesn’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, she can provide a contact phone number and the phone number her appliances were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call her directly. Also, in the email, please have her provide the screen name ”Anonymous / 298890” for reference to her issue, and we do look forward to talking to her soon.

Stephanie L.