Despite my reservations (due to many similar reviews), my husband accepted a job as a HVAC salesman for Sears Home Improvement in March of this year. He spent a month down in Los Angeles (2+ hours from our home).

They did pay for his hotel Sunday through Thursday, so he came home on the weekends, but he had to fight to get mileage reimbursement! We should have taken that as a warning of what was to come. Unfortunately, hubby had a mild stroke while on a sales call just two days into his sales 'career' with Sears and had to take six weeks off for recuperation and rehabilitation. Once he returned to work, they started scheduling appointments that same day.

His first three (in one day) were 2 hours north and when he arrived at the first one, the homeowner told him a Sears salesman had just left. ??? So, a wasted trip. He had to wait four hours for the next appointment (much too far to drive home), and at that appointment, the homeowner said he asked for SERVICE, not SALES.

Second wasted call. And the third appointment (again, four hours after the second call) was a no-show. The folks weren't home. So 12 hours, three calls hours from home, and nothing to show for it.

Salesmen are not allowed to call and confirm the appointments...they are at the mercy of the folks in the call center. This was repeated over and over in the days to come. I cannot tell you how many times my husband arrived for a sales call, only to be told they wanted service instead. The one time he actually made a sale (their units seem VERY expensive), the Sears computers went down system-wide (supposedly), so he couldn't close the sale and would have to return another day.

This, again, was a call 100 miles away. And, because his paydays were disrupted due to his medical leave, he didn't receive ANY gas reimbursements until June 19 (three weeks after he returned, after travelling well out of town every single work day since). We actually drained our meager savings account to pay for gas to keep him on sales calls that were never going to amount to anything. Eventually, hubs had to quit as we had no more money to devote to gas for pointless sales calls.

That was June 9 and to date (June 25), he still has not been paid any of the 'guaranteed' salary due him, despite working daily for two weeks and returning his Sears equipment the same day he quit. We've had to file a claim with the Department of Labor Standards...but it will probably take months to get the money that is due him. Whatever you do, RUN, don't walk, AWAY FROM AN OFFER TO WORK FOR SEARS HOME IMPROVEMENT. The managers somehow manage to make money (lots of it, I hear), but those at the bottom of the food chain are taken advantage of horribly.

Personally, I now suspect they wanted my husband to quit after his medical leave, and so they stacked the cards against him. Dispicable company.

Needless to say, we'll never use their home improvement services ourselves, and I doubt we'll EVER shop at a brick and mortor Sears store again, either.

This reviewer shared experience about "unprofessional (and illegal) treatment to employee" and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). kitkat55 is overall dissatisfied with Sears. The most disappointing about work experience at Sears was refusing to pay final paycheck Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Sears.

Comments