We had a Sears service rep come to diagnose a problem with our Sears Whirlpool Calypso washing machine on 3/30/2010. He was here for an hour, charged for two hours, and misdiagnosed the problem. We chose to make the repair ourselves, as is always a consumer option, purchased the part he said was the problem, and then discovered that the actual problem was a different part, thus costing us twice the amount, and a lot of time and trouble, as well as the charge for the service call.

When I called Sears customer service to request a refund, they refused to help us in any way, saying that they owe us nothing. According to them, since we elected not to have their diagnostic technician do the actual repair, they bore absolutely no responsibility for his misdiagnosis or for the service call.

The rep told me I had reached "corporate level," and was adamant that there was absolutely no recourse for us, as they do not guarantee their diagnostic service calls...only their repair service itself. If we had elected to have him do the repair, which would have been the wrong repair and replacement part, then they might have been able to work with us.

We have been loyal Sears customers for most of our lives, having "grown up" with the company. If the washing machine had been irreparable, then we probably would have purchased a new washer from them. As it stands now, we will never do business with Sears again, nor would we recommend them to anyone.

Comments

Virginia, United States #1269853

I am wondering how this worked out? Sears has misdiagnosed my faulty refrigerator as having a sensor issue vice a Freon leak to avoid a five year warranty repair.

What happened with you?

Did you write the BBB or the States Attorney General. Be sure to always video tape service calls with Sears as they will lie in a heartbeat!

Dear Sukiyaki,

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the service you have received from Sears. We understand why you are upset and would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you regarding this experience. My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares Escalations Team. At your convenience please contact my office via email at searscares@searshc.com so that we can further discuss your concerns. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the washer was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, please include your screen name (Sukiyaki) in the email so we can reference to your case.

David V.

Senior Case Manager

Sears Cares

:( same as me except with a microwave convection oven. Not once but twice. Now it is torn up again and they want to charge me to fix it....they STINK