We purchased a Kenmore Elite wall oven in September of 2009 to the tune of $2000+. May of 2011 it started turning itself on at 500degrees, turning itself off, and back on and making loud beeping noises awakening us in the middle of the night. We called for a service appointment and the technician came out no problem.

He told us that there was a recall notice on the control unit and that Sears would replace it without cost. He had no explanation why we were not proactively contacted about the recall. He had no comment about my hypothetical question of what would Sears replace if my house had burned down due to this unit going wild when we were out of town. The control unit was replaced.

Last night, less than 1 year later, the same problem began to occur. Upon calling the Repair department they had no record of a recall. I was told that Sears appiances "are not made by GOD" and that I should expect repairs. When, needless to say, I was not satisfied with that answer, I was passed on the the complaint department.

Wonder of wonders, they did have details in my records of the recall but the replacement was only guaranteed for 90days. I do not believe this to be true, that this part is only good for 91 days and then needs replacement to the tune of several hundred $$$$s which is virtually what they are saying. I was offered $65 which I readily accepted which will cover neither the part nor the technician's visit.

Here are my suspicions: 1. the replacement part was also faulty...this is a given since it lasted less than a year and I frankly don't cook that much, 2. Sears does not want to acknowledge the problem as there HAVE been fires associated with this product and there is a suit, 3. They think that they are averting trouble by buying me off with $65. They are not.

My request for satisfaction: Get this potential death trap out of my house and give me my money back so I can go somewhere else and buy a safe oven that will work for longer than 3years.

Review about: Sears Repair.

Comments

Hi Cbgrimes,

We sincerely apologize for the ongoing trouble and concern you have encountered with your oven. My name is Scott and I'm with the Sears Cares Social Media Support Team. We located your post and wanted to connect with you. There's no question this is frustrating. We'd like to look into this for you and help find a solution. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the oven was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number). Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Cbgrimes) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Scott J.