With Company response Not resolved

Beware when purchasing Sears Kenmore/Electrolux Microwave!

I purchased a Sears Kenmore/Electrolux Microwave and Wall Oven 10/7/2008 for $1674. I made the purchase because it was beautiful and matched the rest of my appliances. But, as it turns out, it was not a very good financial decision and I should have conducted more research on the quality.

The microwave quit working the week before Thanksgiving in 11/2009 – 13 months after purchase. After numerous attempts to repair, Sears finally completed the repair at a cost of $158 in 1/2010 – so the microwave was not working for over 2 months and not available during the holidays. The microwave stopped working again in 2/2011 (again 13 months after the last repair) and the repair was completed in 3/2011 at a cost of $233 replacing the same switch as in the first repair. Now the microwave quit working again in 10/2011 (only 7 months after the last repair) with probably the same switch going bad since it quit working exactly the same way as the other two times.

I contacted Electrolux to see if they would stand behind the microwave since I spent $1674 initially and have already spent $391 on repairs only to have it broken again – it is only 3 years old! They referred me to Sears since it was an Electrolux product sold under the Kenmore brand name.

I contacted Sears, but they could not replace the microwave or pay to have it repaired. They offered to pay for ½ of the cost to have it repaired, but knowing the repair cost would be at least $233, even paying $116.50 does not make sense since the repair most likely will not last very long. And, nice stainless steel microwaves are now selling for $50 – much less than the ½ the repair costs I would have to pay!

When looking to purchase appliances, do your due diligence and think twice before buying Sears Kenmore or Electrolux.

Comments

SearsCares
Sears Response

To Ljw,

I'm sorry to hear that the microwave you purchased at Sears has failed so many times in a relatively short amount of time. I can understand how frustrating this is after having spent so much initially for the appliance to now have to pay for multiple repairs. Without any kind of service agreement or warranty on the microwave, I believe it was generous of us to offer to pay for half the cost of your repair. Our goal however is your overall satisfaction with Sears and we would be happy to work with you and to regain your confidence. My name is James and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team and we value you as a Sears customer. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the microwave is listed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Ljw) for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.