In October 2006 we brought from Sears a Stainless finish Kenmore Elite 25 cu. ft. TRIO French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator. On August 2008 this Refrigerator MALFUNCTIONED.

I had left the house for about 2 hours, when I came back and I opened my refrigerator doors the heat and smell was awful. At once I could tell the interior light was the source of the heat. The push-in switch on the door frame was not working. As I tested, the switch was pushed in the interior light contiuned to stay on and the circulating fan was not working, as well. The plastic over the light fixture was partially melted, the light fixture was scorched. The food products on the 2 top shelves and doors had to be thrown away as well as some other ify products. After removing all the food items in the refrigerator, cleaning the inside because of melted food products (e.g. stick butter in tray on the door), and opening and closing the door so many times in a row to do this process of empty and cleaning; the light switch on the doors began to work properly again. After several hours and many tests later all seem well as the refrigerator began to cool down again. When pushing th

e light switch on the doors, this time, the light went off and the fan turned on. So, again I re-loaded my refrigerator with what was left of the food products not ruined.

My first concern is the lack of confidence we now have that this failure/malfunction won't happen again. If it does happen again, and not caught in time, the possiblity of a fire seems inevitable. Since the refrigerator is now working properly I conside this a DANGEROUS MALFUNCTION to consumers. Of course, the warranty on this product is now expired. But this is not a breakdown. Again I stress, this is a Dangerous Malfuntion and Sears/Kenmore needs to step up with a Recall and fix/replace the parts necessary and as soon as possible. We do not have the money to pay for the peace of mind to have a Sears Repair Service Tech attempt to fix it. If Sears knows what the problem is, then it should be a RECALLED Free Service. We paid Sears $2,346.98 just less than 2 years ago for a SAFE Refrigerator.

The loss of some food items are small compared to the loss our home and/or our lives. As a long time, loyal Sears customer I expect Sears to respond to the consumers immediately to resolve this defect.

Review about: Sears Repair.

Comments

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #942500

Owned one since 2006 with absolutely NO issues.

We just had the same thing occur with ours. Don't know how long the light had been on and when we tested it, the lights went out just fine.

However, the top of our refrigerator lining is melted and the light not be able to replaced back into the refrigerator as it is. We have not had the chance yet to contact Sears about this, but will be.

We have had the same problem with our Sears Kenmore Elite. The lights were on for about 8 hours.

I had to throw out food but glad there was no fire. We contacted Sears and a repair man was to be here today, only after charging our credit card for and extended warranty. HE DID NOT SHOW. After looking online there should be a recall or class action law suit.

We are considering calling out local news tomorrow. They will dig into this problem.

My Kenmore Elite Trio is either a 2007 or 2008 model, Model # 59676573601, Serial # 1139250oLG and the bottom freezer drawer has a rod that supports basket, held in by a plastic pieces, broke off It also grinds up metal all over the bottom of the drawer. Now it won't roll back in & can't find parts for this model & serial #'s. Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem last night with my interior light. (Kenmore Elite Trio 2/2007) I have contacted Sears repair service, but now will contact Product Recall Hotline.

This was scary. It was so hot that it cooked my chicken salad on the top shelf.

Purchased a Kenmore trio in June 2008 and in Sept. 2009 it quit working.

The freezer defrosted and then the refrigerator part would not cool. Called Sears repair service and was told they couldn't get out to fix it for 8 days. We had to call another repair service...turned out to be a defective overload relay switch.

We could not wait to get for Sears to come out and get it repaired and Sears refused to reimburse us for the part. We had several hundred dollars worth of food in the frig that would have spoiled.

We will NEVER purchase a Sears product again

Seems to be a recurring theme here. I too have suffered the same damages; melted light cover, shroud, scortched light socket and melted/blistered interior liner.

I was told by the product area that no recall but there is a service bulletin and they are coming out to look at the frige. I work in insurance and this is certainly a products liability hazard.

I think I've had every problem possible with this fridge: ERR FF (Error Freezer Fan) messages, lights that don't turn off when the door is closed, an intermittent noisy fan.

I would gladly pitch this appliance in the ocean if it weren't a) so far away, and b) bad for the environment.

We just had the same problem occur today. I phoned the Product Recall hotline and they are sending out a technician with the parts to repair this...free of charge. I hope this does not happen again, what a horrible smell and this malfunction is an accident (fire) waiting to happen.

Forgot to ask if anyone has a fix for when you open the freezer and the ice falls out everywhere.

to Mark Camarillo, California, United States #880326

Yes! Besides the light melting my butter and spoiling other food, the ice continues to scatter when opening the freezer!

Well I just found out I have the same issue. The light cover is melted as well some of the interior.

I am still under warrenty but am concerned about keeping the lights on once the repair is done. Based on my previous experience with my 3 other sears appliances I am DONE with Sears products.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #41870

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. MY LIGHT MELTED THE PLASTIC SO BAD I CAN SEE THE WIRING.

THANKS FOR THE TIP JJ. I'M CALLING LG RIGHT NOW.

SEAR SHOULD HAVE RECALLED THIS PRODUCT. LORI

I had the same problem with the lighting unit malfunctioning so that it stayed on. My fridge heated up so much that it melted the lighting unit AND the interior of the fridge.

The interior is melted so badly that a replacement light can no longer be mounted. I believe that if I had not caught this it certainly would have

started a fire.

Holy cow...I thought I was the only one with this fridge problem! I also have an 06 Trio doing the same thing.

I had the same problem with my Trio. I gave up on Sears and went to the manufacturer LG Electronics.

Turns out there is an ungraded CPU Board out that eliminates the light problem. Should of been a recall. I ended up complaining enough times that LG sent Sears out to fix free of charge.

I was OUT of Warranty. JJ