2.2K views
With Company response Not resolved

Finally, a place where Sears can't block a NEGATIVE product review!

We bought brand new Kenmore appliances when we moved into our home in 2012. Left our 14 year-old Whirlpool Gold appliances at the last home. In hind-sight, we should have taken them with us.

For the most part, the new appliances have operated reasonably well.

Design issues / flaws:

* - Impossible to keep an incandescent bulb in the oven (three bulbs in the last 6 months)

* - Over-the-range hood / microwave and associated lighting

* - One range element that goes bananas and boils everything uncontrollably

And finally,

* - Ice build-up in the freezer of french door with lower freezer model

Resolution: I found a link that outlines the problem and its fix. (won't post it here, but can offer it to anyone interested in knowing how to 'temporarily' cure the problem). It's a design flaw that will NEVER go away.

The first time I saw water escaping onto the kitchen floor was about a month ago. I thought the issue with the freezer was a fluke; - that accidentally leaving the freezer drawer ajar resulted in frost on everything that found its way out of the freezer during a defrost cycle. Leaving the drawer part open has happened a few times, but did not appear to adversely effect operation.

Bottom line, the drain on the freezer will clog and with each defrost cycle the water backs up into the freezer. Probably explains why the drain pan underneath was empty, while water ran all over the floor at the freezer door!

No point in complaining to Sears; - they got out of the customer service business about 10 years ago and have been going down hill ever since.

Since the 'pool' of appliance manufacturers in Canada and the US is limited, the propensity for a design flaw to appear in similar products is very likely. So buying only Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Kitchen-Aid or Kenmore won't necessarily ensure a quality product. They simply don't build appliances well anymore.

Remember Zenith, "The quality goes in before the name goes on!" Well today, you buy an extended warranty to ensure quality. Not me!

Our Whirlpool Golds were a fluke it seems, luck of the draw some say, but the Whirlpool people and even Sears stood behind them when we experienced a problem with the range in 1999, about a year after buying whole-home appliances for the kitchen and laundry.

Today I am not at all confident that Sears would even do anything, nor do I care. After a 25 year relationship buying with confidence, I will never shop at Sears again. I've long since decided to vote with my buck and find other sources of products, even off-shore.

When I tried to leave a negative product review behind on the Sears website they blocked it. Turns out that Sears reviews are skewed by employee add-ons that make the reviews sound stunning and positive. I reported Sears to the Federal Government, but I don't think anything came of it because even the government process for review and follow-up is flawed.

Comments

Gainesville, Florida, United States #907205

Wow!, this is so troubling !! I said the same thing, repaired several times.

Mine builds up with sheets of ice and leaks all over the floor!! I have been totally disgusted with it !, so glad I came across this site !, headed to Sears to find a solution!, lol looks like there is not a good one !,

to Ccc Indianapolis, Indiana, United States #907213

There is a rubber flange attached to the drain line, all the tech did to mine was remove it and have me fully defrost the unit. No troubles since. The drain line flange was accessible from the back of my unit.

SearsCares
Sears Response

Of course we care, Canon_Man. Have you gone to the Sears Canada Customer Service page https://secure.sears.ca/customer-support# to find the proper department that can best help with your refrigerator?

to Sears Response #844710

That is not going to happen. I'd rather chew my arm off than have Sears any where near my home or appliances.

Sears messed up badly, and for the last time with my family. Sears sold me a $1,600 fridge designed to last one year. Who knew, well maybe if you read the fine print in the warranty! Sears didn't even have the wisdom to make the closed loop refrigerant system carry a 5 year parts and labor warranty as part of the purchase price.

Oh wait, if I pay you a bit more, I can get that as a service contract.

Nonsense.

I've been fooled for the last time.

We can only hope that Sears goes out of business quietly and that a solid retailer steps in to replace it. At the rate Sears is going, it's slowly turning into another 'General Motors' failure.

ka_marshall

We are having the same issue with the freezer. Can you provide me the info on the fix that you found?

I have taken it apart and defrosted it a couple of times already only to have it clog again. Thanks.

to ka_marshall #842883

You have to take the insides completely apart. Start by loosening the four screws that hold the door front on and lift it out of the way.

The rails that hold the upper basket and the slides for the lower basket and door have to be removed along with the plastic runners on both sides that come off in two pieces each on ours.

There are a few screws involved and you have to be careful not to break the plastic pieces. Letting it warm up a bit with everything out helps. The only piece I managed to break a tab off of was the defuser in the top back of the freezer attached to the metal 'wall' at the back. You need to take the wall out by removing the visible screws and pulling straight out to get at the freezer evaporator (coils) that will have ice on them.

There is a connection for the ice maker on the back metal wall of ours that has to be disconnected before removing it completely.

Look to your immediate right at the back where the copper pipe connects to the aluminum piping. There is some sort of issue with this connection that causes the fridge system to lose refrigerant and build up ice in this area. With everything huddled on our kitchen island so it wouldn't defrost too much, it took me a good hour to take the freezer apart, cut myself and curse it back together (humor).

The drain in the middle at the bottom of the evaporator coil is the reason for the ice on the floor of the freezer. Once you defrost the coil completely (use a hair dryer to speed it up) you will see a notch at the bottom back of the freezer where the metal wall rests.

This drain is your culprit, although the reason for ice buildup can be low refrigerant or due to accidentally leaving the drawer open enough to cause frost build up (happened three times to us - this model doesn't have a sensor that chimes when the draw or doors are left ajar).

I used mechanic's wire and a measuring cup with hot water to open it up. Some stuff I didn't recognize came out, but was benign.

Ours is built by Amana for Sears. Amana used to be a good product, but obviously not good enough to carry their name.

to Canon_Man #844302

Thanks for the response. The first time I took the unit apart was a nightmare, especially with the ice maker in the way.

Sheet metal cuts are fun. I am going to continue to push Sears to fix what is obviously a design flaw that should be a recall not a service call.

I find it amazingly ironic that my issues started in the 13th month of ownership. Thanks again.

to Kevin #844711

Good luck with that one. Let me know if Sears is smart enough to fix your problem at no cost.

to Kevin Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada #907228

Kevin, How did your conversation with Sears go?

Just curious.