2K views

We purchased a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator, a Range (Stove), a Range Hood and a dishwasher with an extended warranty for all four items. This $300+ warranty, we have renewed every year after the manufactures warranty ended.

We have had only one service on the dishwasher alone and zero service on any of the other appliances. Over the last four months, the refrigerator has constantly failed, (ran warm, spoiled the food), thus requiring service.

Each service order has a wait time of around ten days or more before a technician can even come out, therefore, we have zero refrigerator for this time and then an even longer time if a part has to be ordered.

Every time the tech arrives, he patches the fridge instead of fixing it or replacing it. This patch / band aid, last for a few weeks before the problem returns.

Today I took off from work for the scheduled 8AM - 12pm sears appointment.

Due to a No Show / No Call, I contacted sears at 10:30 AM and again at 1:15 PM, only to be assured by a customer service rep, that the technician will arrive, not to worry and he will call me when he is on the way to my house.

At 2:42PM, still a No Show / No Call from the technician, I was forced to leave my house (to retrieve my kids from school). I was back home at 3:28PM, to which I found a note scratched on an index card stating 'sorry we missed you. Sears'.

The technician DID NOT call either of my contact numbers to tell me that he was on his way, as promised that he would, in the previous two calls to the customer service rep.

I immediately contacted sears and requested to speak to a supervisor, to which I was placed on hold for over fifteen minutes before the call ended abruptly.

I called back and went through this scenario four consecutive times (for almost an hour) before finally being transferred to a Sharon, who said she was a supervisor. Sharon was not only unprofessional but also lacked the technical attributes to be a customer service rep, let alone a supervisor, she even went as far as saying that there is nothing she can do, and the only thing that I can do is wait for the next available appointment...yes you got it...TEN DAYS LATER.

I explained to her that I have two young kids and really cannot be without a refrigerator for that period of time, to which she made it clear, that it was my fault for not being at home when the technician arrived, therefore I will have to wait for the next available repair date, She then hung up the phone.

Each time I call for service, the customer service reps hound me about doing some home improvements, so just for kicks, my wife stated that she was thinking of some home improvements, in no time, an appointment was scheduled for an agent to come out for the appraisal / estimate, The agent was there at my door, THE VERY NEXT DAY.

In short, sears is no longer the sears we once knew, I will never use sears for any purchases or service again.

Comments

Mashpee, Massachusetts, United States #746202

I HAVE PURCHASED ALL MY APPLIANCES THRU SEARS FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS..I HAVE HAD THE MASTER PROTECTION WAARANTY ON MY WASHER, DISHWASHER, AND FRIDGE FREEZER RECENTLY..I CAN ONLY SAY THAT ANYTIME I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM, SEARS HAS RESPONDED QUICKLY, EFFICIENTLY, AND WITH GREAT COURTEOUSNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM FOR EACH REPAIR..I AM COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH SEARS APPLIANCES AND ESP THEIR MASTER PROTECTION AGREEMENT AND I AM CONSTANTLY RECCOMENDING THEM TO EVERYONE!!! I WILL CONTINUE TO BE A LOYAL CUSTOMER TO SEARS FOR ALLMY APPLIANCE NEEDS!!!

Sears sent a document asking my (very senior) mother to purchase a Master Protection Agreement on her air conditioner. I don't think waiting 10 days to fix an air conditioner in Louisiana is a good idea for an old lady.

Based on the above comments, we will decline this opportunity. Thanks to all for the comments.

Hello, I have read almost every sing one of the comments following this story. I have to say that I work for sears, and they are extremely loyal to all Protection Agreements, If you also read carefully in the pamphlet, it also states that you can get a rental from any where and Sears would refund you with all of the money back.

Now They write that in there because they know some parts they can not get in and they want to keep the customer happy, and also have all of the necessities working. I believe that information is on the 3rd page of the pamphlet.

This agreement borders on fraud! Read it over and you'll see that there is no stated time frame for repairs to be made!

Our washer needs a new drum etc and we're being told that the part is on backorder for 6 weeks, with no assurance that it will be available then.

Without any time parameter in the contract we have no remedy. The contract says the obligations are backed by the full faith and credit of Sears...draw your own conclusion!

I too am just starting to have issues with Sears MPA. In the past, we were always able to make an appt online, but now all they want to do is "troubleshoot" on the phone.

We pay good money for these agreements and deserve better service. We are selling our Kenmore Oasis washer and dryer set and never buying from Sears again.

I have a Master Protection Agreement for my refrigerator and called 1 month ago for an appointment to fix our refrigerator. The appointment was for today from 1-5 pm.

I called the phone number to confirm this appointment this morning. No service person ever arrived. I was just told, after the 3rd time I called, that no technician was ever assigned. What type of Protection am I paying for?

The next appointment is for 2 weeks from now that is totally unacceptable. I want a refund for my MPA.

I BOUGHT A FRONT LOAD WASHER WM2016CW FROM SEARS ALL I HAVE HAD IS PROBLEMS IT LIKES TO WALK WATER IN MY CELLAR TWICE. AND THEY EVEN HOOK THE HOSES UP WRONG.

THE LAST BRAKE DOWN WAS ON APRIL 19 2011 AND I AM STILL WITHOUT A WASHER.

THEY HAVE A 21 DAY LIMIT OR REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE WELL THEY GO GOOD FOR IT I SURE HOPE SO . THIS IS THE LAST THING I BUY FOR THESES TH----

Sears needs a class action suit for their poor practices, I would join one in a heart beat! 2 yrs, master protection agreement and I still have 2 appliances that are in the same shape as they were before!

I agree, Sears master protection agreement is a joke or insult. I can elaborate, but I'll wait until my lawsuit is filled

Erode, Tamil Nadu, India #256755

WHAT A JOKE and LEGIIMTATE SCAM!!

I received a mailing from Sears mid February (2011). I ignored it (told myself to think about it) and alas, I got it again 03/01/2011 stating this: "IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Master Protection Agreement on your LCD TV has expired." It went further "You are now without a Protection Agreement and the benefits it provided."

I didn't remember buying any extended warranty or "Service Agreement" and today I went through my bills from 11/2007 when I bought it. The receipt reads this "Item 205771067 Samsung 40" LC OVR $1384." No info pertaining to any Master Protection Agreement or extra warranty or cost thereof. This *** mailing even listed this--> Product: TVLCDF1TR4, Location: In-Home, Installed: 11/23/2007

Funny, I bought this at Sears & put it in my car to go home & then I hooked it up. I don't remember Sears coming to my home to install it, how do they have an install date on file? I wasn't sure (it was 3+ years ago) but after looking at my receipt & owner's manual I keep in my desk drawer it's clear I never bought any Protection Agreement. I suspect doing so poorly competing with Home Depot & Lowes that Sears has to solicit customers and take part in this fraudulent activity.

Sears is pathetic.

Just my $.02 - hope my testimony can help others not be taken advantage of by these criminals...

:? :(

to LW Clarksburg, West Virginia, United States #554346

We recieved the same thing in the mail. We don't even know how they got our new address.

We have moved twice our original purchase & we recieved a mailing 3 years later with our current address on it asking us to renew our MPA. We didn't add one at the time of purchase. Our's also lists an installed date & we purchased our LCD TV in store & installed it at home ourselves.

Thanks for posting. I'm trashing this MPA!

I have a Master Protection agreement. WOW!

Sears would rather stall and come out as many times as possible rather than replace the defective stove they sold to me. Their favorite responce is lets have a "Senior Tech" come out.

Okay, why not have a bus load come as the stove still does not work after 3 attempts in a month!Model 790.9744 The stove is JUNK JUNK JUNK! Poor quality and shoddy parts make everything you cook trying to use the convection bake option a total disaster!

I purchased a Kemore Electric Convetion Range and Oven. Model 790.9744 What a piece of junk.

The oven will not bake evenly. Put in two pizzas or two trays of cookies and you will be sorely unhappy. Nothing will cook evenly in this oven when on convection bake. Convection bake is a scam!

I have had Sears out 3 times in 2 months; called for another appointment. I have been told the oven is just fine, but it burns on tray and the other one is not even done. I have been told to buy new cookie sheets (did that), move the racks (did that), wait a half an hour after the oven is preheated to use it (did that even though I was painfully unhappy), had the sensor replaced. The oven still does the same thing.

Sears has these products made and does not know how to get them to work well. All they want to do is stall me and have a "Senior Tech" come out.

Same result each time, the oven still does not cook evenly!! Be careful when you buy Kemore; it may be the worst purchase you have ever made!

I purchasea a Canon T1i in September 2010. By October 2010 the AV outlet quite working.

No Biggie! I'd purchased the Sears extended warranty and they'd fix it-right!? WRONG!

This repair is not covered under the warranty! This is the LAST purchase I make from Sears.

Glidden, Texas, United States #189649

I live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., a major metro area. There are Sears stores throughout the area and my family has purchased Sears products for at leas 50 years as Sears always stood by their work, craftmanship, and quality.

I finally had a reson to contact Sears and use my master protection agreement as my top-line Kenmore elite oven stopped working. When I called to make an appointment, I was told I would have to wait THREE WEEKS before a technician could come to my house. Disappointed, I made the appointment.

Just before the appointment date, I was called by Sears to tell me that they were overbooked and I would have to WAIT AN ADDITIONAL THREE WEEKS before a technician could come to my house.

Six weeks after I made the initial appointment, the technician showed up. He was able to quickly diagnose the problem. My oven needed a new relay. He did not have one one his truck and after makaing a few phone calls could not find one in the area. He had to order one. He said it would arrive at my house the next day (which it did). However, he said it would he ANOTHER THREE WEEKS before he could come back to install the relay.

I HAVE WAITED NEARLY NINE WEEKS to have this simple problem fixed. I hope the technician shows up next week to fix the stove.

At this point - and I hope Sears monitors this post - I will never again purchase anything from Sears. I have told as many people as I can about how I have been treated by Sears and how it has taken more than two months for Sears to honor their agreement. I recommend to everyone I know to purchase products and appliances anyplace but Sears.

I have contacted Sears customer serivice seven times trying to schedule an earlier appointment. Every time I'm given the same line about how sorry Sears is for my inconvenience. Everyone is very sympathetic on the phone, but no one is willing to help me. Sorry, but having to wait more than two months to have a simple part replaced on my oven is completely unacceptable

The Sears name used to stand for something. There was a time when Sears actually cared about customer service and about treating its customers well. Those days have passed. Sears no longer stands behind its products and does not honor its service agreements. If I cannot get decent service in a major metropolitain area, there is no way you will get decent customer service where you live.

If you are considering purchasing a Sears service agreement, please DO NOT do it. You will be very disappointed if you ever have to use it. Sears will push you off an delay service in the hope that you will simply give up.

Chainsaw !!! ?

Cup of coffee is tool too. Anything can fall under that category. All these big corporations have to create millions of rules because some idiots want to get money from them. I used to work for sears and got sick and tired of people who make drama for no reason.

Sears is not a walmart ok? I never liked sears until i started to work there. In my store everyone was really happy to help customers. Bait and switch?

- lie. That rep. was new and probably didnt know what s/he was talking about. That happens too.

Lets face it - sears is huge corporation and has many employees, do you think all of them angels?

They all are just regular hard working people who come to work every morning.

Some customers just frustrated but will scream with no reason, imagine what it is to listen drama every day all day long.

Sears had to create many rules because of many *** lawsuits.

If it was a requirement that you make sense to stay alive, you would all be dead. Very few of these complaints seem valid, let alone plausible.

But, I am still hoping for my check from the manager of all the Sears' stores.

Tishomingo, Mississippi, United States #67745

I recently bought a 55 inch Samsung LCD. To be specific I got the LN55B650.

I was told that there have more problems with the traditional LCD technology than the older CRT technology because the new tvs have a problem with heat. The salesman told me that the older models (before 2007) actually had AC units inside of them, but because of the recession they could not put those into any of the new tvs. Now my tv is too hot, and recently it broke. I called Sears in order to have it looked at and the woman (not american) told me that man (american) could come out and look it at within the next two weeks.

Upon his arrival at my house(late) he appeared to have just come from lunch(drinking). He laughed at me when i explained i wanted to look into getting a air conditioner installed to regulate my tv's heat in a more efficient manner.

After he refused, and again mocked me, i had him leave. Long story short i went to Best Buy and they installed the AC in the TV for me.

I went into Sears looking for TV. I wasn't up on the new technology with TV's like other people are.

(LCD, Plasma, etc..). When I got to the store, there was a few salesmen working the floor. They let me look around for a few minutes before one of them approached me. I told him how i didn't know much about the technology and wanted to learn about it.

He gave me kind of a crash course on it, and was very helpful. He asked me a lot of questions about the use of the TV, and eventually we found a TV that was great for me. Still unsure, i told him i wanted to go home and think about first. I really went home to look up the information that he had told me.

Every bit of information given was dead on. Needless to say i was back in later to buy the TV. I also bought the Protection Agreement. Which i have found the yearly updates make them well worth the price.

I'll continue to buy from Sears due to the great friendly and knowledgeable service i got from the salesman.

BUY THE PROTECTION AGREEMENT!! WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!

Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States #8103

I will not be renewing my Master Protection Agreement with Sears this year or any other year as I am still recovering from the sticker shock of what it will cost me. When I remodeled my kitchen in 2003 I purchased all my appliances with the stainless steel Kenmore Elite brand. This included the dishwasher, side by side refrigerator, a built in wall oven, 5 burner range with double ovens, the over range microwave and a warming drawer. I also purchased another Kenmore refrigerator to put in the garage. My kitchen was featured the May 04 issue of Home magazine in their reader re-do section where it was mentioned all the appliances were from Sears Elite collection. Not as if that matters to Sears.

All the appliances have worked great during this time with the exception of the dishwasher where someone has had to come out one or two times a year to fix various problems. I have also had someone come once a year for the annual maintenance but usually they were in and out in less then half an hour.

Everything was lumped into one agreement that has come due. I called to see what it would cost to renew and I about fell on the floor. It would cost me $3228.23 for five years or $1893.51 for three years. I doubt in the five years I have had these appliances I would have ever spent that much money to have someone come out to fix the problems. I could probably have had a trusted repairman at my house within 24 hours as opposed to wait 7 to 10 business days for a Sears person to show up