Castleton-On-Hudson, New York
With Company response Not resolved

We purchased a combination natural gas furnace and central air system from Sears back in August of 2002. Like many other people I was compelled to buy the Master Protection Agreement based on the equipment service, repairs, and replacement assurances it provided for. HVAC units aren't cheap, and it seemed prudent to do so, even though, over the years renewing the Agreements has cost me almost what the equipment cost.

Over the 11 years I had no breakdowns or need for repair, never needed to file a claim...until July 9 that is. As is wont to happen in the heat, the AC unit started getting noisy and quickly stopped functioning. I was not home at the time , so I had my daughter do some rudimentary system checks and we determined there was need for a professional.

I instructed my wife to call 1-800-4-MY-Home. I provided her with the MPA account number and felt confident that in a little while she would call back with the good news that repair would be on its way in the next day or so. I felt really good that I made an expensive decision to keep up with the MPAs because here is where it was going to be all worth it.

When she did call back, it was not at all what I expected. She was told, on July 9th, that we could expect a tech between 8AM and 1PM on July 30th. On July 30th?! 21 days?! Are you kidding?

I was sure I had heard her wrong, but she assured me that's what was said. She explained that we have two daughters with asthma, the main reason we added AC years ago,and that we had faithfully renewed our MPAs over the years just for this type of emergency. She further explained to the representative that we also frequently care for a severely handicapped nephew prone to seizures that are almost always triggered by overheating. The rep. said he would forward that information to the "emergency" department and we would hear from them in 24hrs.

24hrs came and went,no follow up call. Two days later the original representative was contacted. He apologized and said if we didn't get a call from the other department it was likely they didn't deem it an emergency or there was no accommodation that could be made, so the original July 30th date stands.

I am so outraged I could spit. I feel like I have been totally deceived and actively stolen from by a once reliable and affable friend. The thousands of dollars spent for timely equipment repair was nothing but an old-fashioned fleecing. Feel like a ***.

*** near criminal on Sears' part, I might add, going to see if my BBB and the NY Attorney General's office think so too, although they likely have a stack of sob stories like mine about Sears, there's certainly no lack of them out here on the net.

We are now in for the hottest week of the summer so far, in fact its been pretty grueling the whole month of July. 90s everyday with heat indexes in the 100s.

I have spent over $500 for window air-conditioners that are ineffective and inefficient. Can you believe that?! Spend more than $500 to get some relief after having spent thousands on the MPA already?

I can't wait to see my electric bill.

My daughters have pretty much had to move out, every night a sleep over at a friends house with sufficient air-conditioning, and my nephew won't be back until this is all fixed, which I have very little confidence will happen.

How many trips back to the shop for parts? How many days will they disappear between trips.

I guess I could really suck it up and hire a local HVAC guy and just pay for the repair out of pocket to add further injury to this insult. Spoke to one today, explained the July 30th date, to which he said, "That's crazy, none of us are that busy. You're getting screwed."

No ***? Ya' think?

Comments

SearsCares
Sears Response

Dear Jhhay2851,

My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We would like to apologize for the failure of your central air conditioning unit, and for the trouble you have experienced trying to get the unit repaired. We understand how important a working air conditioning unit is to the household, especially with younger kids with medical ailments, that don’t do well in extreme heat. We’d like the chance to look into this repair for you, and assist in making this right by your family. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Jhhay2851), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

Brian S.