With Company response

My elderly mother was pushed into purchasing a television by a Sears sales person who assured her that she could return the item within 30 days if she was not completely satisfied.At no time did he mention that Sears (in very fine print after the purchase has been made, i.e.

when YOUR MONEY becomes THEIR MONEY) charges a 15% restocking fee. Just decided you don't like it before your card is back in your hand? Guess what? You owe 15% to Sears before it leaves the store.

Incredible. My Mother had been a loyal Sears customer for over 60 years but we will no longer take our business to this company ever again. If you are going to have that kind of draconian policy then your employees had better communicate it (particularly with the elderly) and it better be in LARGE PRINT clearly posted BEFORE a purchase is made.

No wonder that Sears is a company long since in decline.AVOID & BEWARE OF SEARS!

I had same issue, just this weeek.I purchased a TV from Sears online ($600) and picked it up within a few hours from a local store.

Unfortunately, I found out after bringing it back home that it did not fit into the space I wanted to use. I tried to return it next day, but I was told by the store manager that since the box has been opened, they need to charge 15% ($90) restocking fee. They told me that once the box is opened, it is considered used. First, they never gave me a receipt (with return policy) when I picked up TV.

I read it before ordering online, but their return policy does not clearly state that any open box item would be charged a restocking fee and I think it is very misleading. I want everyone who is planning to shop at Sears during this holiday season to be aware of this.

I don't want anyone elese to make a mistake like I did and end up having a TV does not fit into a room.I won't be doing any type of business with Sears anymore.

The restocking fee is not clearly identified at Sears.After you get the receipt and read it then it is stated that it may apply.

I do understand how you can purchased an item that they do not have in stock.

Then once you receive the item and you do not like it charge a 15% restocking fee.How do you know that you will not like it?

I have the same issue. We have been trying to get our money back but no matter matter we get the run around. Other stores do not charge the fee.

We had the same problem with a microwave.There is no mention of the re-stocking fee when you buy.

They tell you about the survey but never mention the re-stocking fee until they say it is on receipt when you try and return. Yes on the long receipt with the survey there it is. Classic gotcha moment! We will never shop at Sears again either!

Other stores do not have re-stocking fees. No wonder Sears is not doing well.

No customer service!Classic blame the customer!

Sears Response

I truly apologize for the confusion involved with your mother’s television purchase and I am very concerned. My name is Zenaida and I am part of the Sears Social Media escalations team. Please accept our apology and allow us to look into this further. I would like to get you in contact with one of our dedicated case managers.

At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be troubled by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your mothers television was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the reference number (299283) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We truly value your business and look forward to talking with you soon.

Zenaida M.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

Sears return policy is posted clearly for the customer to see BEFORE making a purchase.Your eldery mother failed to read it.

It's not sears fault, they don't know your mother can't read English.

And hey, guess what, people with eye problems need to be aware of their OWN situation and take matters into their OWN hands.The rest of the world is not interested in babysitting you and your senile mother.