I returned a Kenmore vacuum I bought sometime ago that was returned in like new conditions with all accessories.

I returned it as the quality of the item isn't what I would have expected from Kenmore/Sears 5-10 years ago but now my expectations are different.

Sears deliberately writes their terms & conditions to give them on the spot discretionary power.

"Restocking fees are applicable on certain home appliances, electronics, etc."

When phrased this way, they can exercise discretion on the spot and allow them to exercise policies that was implemented AFTER the date of purchase.

Stores are not required to accept returns, however if they offer it on receipt, that's a contractual conditions on which you've purchased the item.

The clerk looked up on the computer and said "restocking fee of 15% applies on this item". I let them keep the $6.00. I consider it a tuition for lesson to avoid Sears.

The clerk then asked for my phone number. I refused. Clerk then lied to me to get me to give out the information.

"We need to have the phone number associated with your credit card to get the return to go through"

I stated that receipt doesn't state refusal to provide additional doesn't revoke my right to return, therefore, I will not allow Sears to have my phone number.

She pushed the return through and I got my money back, minus the 15%. Her statement that my phone number that's associated with the card is necessary to push the return was a bald faced lie as it went through without it.

It would seem that they just WANT to have your phone number for internal tracking purpose.

Florida, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico #717653

Sears did it to me today over a Pop rivit gun, they wanted my drivers license number, I refused and they refused to honor the tool warranty!What do people do who don't have a drivers license.

Someone should file a class action suit. It worked for the voting rights act!

Wow Sears bought KMart and became worse for it.No wonder they are looking money and market shares....from this day forward I will only buy tools at Lowe's or snap on...

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #688524

Just on the phone number thing.In some states there is a law, mostly for use in tracking organized retail crime, that makes that information (name, address, phone, drivers license number, etc) a legal requirement.

A customer who provides false information can be arrested. If you knew how much or that ORC is out there you would see why.

So the information may not be in the return policy because it doesn't have to be. It is still required. On the flip side, is the information being used for marketing, absolutely, addresses are pulled from it and you get junk mail.

we are all kind of stuck with it though.Best bet have a receipt or remember which credit card you used.

i was a victim of restocking fee..i didnt read the receipt, but this is a new policy and it should have been told to me by the clerk..

who read the receipt.. i go by the original policy which is customer satisfaction guarantee.. how could u know if u like the product if u don't open it and try the dam thing..i bought it back the next day less than 24 hrs and i was willing to take another tv which was bigger. and they still wanted restocking fee..

i took a 50 dollar penalty, but they'll never see me again..they lost a good custmer for 50 dollars oh and i cut up there card, it aint worth a dime.

@ Get Over It- If it's okay for Sears to steal from you then fine, but don't dare try to tell the rest of us that becuz we wish to do a return for whatever reason we should not be allow to receive our money..I contacted the Better Business Bureau on their *** and if anyone wish to join me in a lawsuit by all means contact me at otteyl@yahoo.com they are a rip off and will be exposed.

Okay people quit complaining about places because you don't like their policies.They are a business and they have to stay open like anyone else.

Its not their fault you are too *** to read the receipt about a restocking fee,cuz guess what they have those everywhere. Sears is probably the best place to shop in all reality. They have the best service department and best service plans. The customer service is the best and their prices are always the lowest.

If your gonna complain about them not letting you return something, technically its not their fault you bought something you couldnt use or didn't like.Why should they lose money because you don't like something.

I placed a refrigerator and stove on lay-away, paid faithfully even though whenever I had a question I can't getting put through one number after the next even to set up my sears account on-line I could not get help..anywho I installed the stove and the refrigerator was the wrong height, can't do anything over the phone must go back to the store at this point I just want my money back and now after reading over the comments. I hope and pray everything goes well today.

Sears refused credit for a roto-tiller I won at a fund raiser with no receipt but the buyers name and phone number. This is not the sears I am used to, and will encourage all I can to cease doing business with sears

to weldon cooper 2149 Beatrice st Chicago, Illinois, United States #567185

You are *** retarted, of course your not getting credit you didn't buy it.

Just returned something I had bought earlier today.Some stores ask for a phone number, which they did, I complied, next they wanted my full name and address, I was like are you kidding me, you're not getting that, it's irrelevant to the purchase as I paid in cash.

He went to get the manager, he comes over and over rides it and says 'that's a first', then asked if there was anything wrong about me not giving them my info and maybe they could do something about any bad experiences, I replied I don't need to give any of that. He gave me my money back.

So yea, don't fall for it, they either spam the *** out of your info, sell it to other companies, and/or track you. Sounds like Best Buy, where you need an ID for returns.

No wonder these 2 companies are going bankrupt.;)

I reported the writer "Customer are cheats, liars".This person probably is a Sears Management Staff.

It should be banned from here.A person without perspective.

After purchasing a bedroom suite in Nov I needed to cancel the order before I took delivery.Person on at the 1-800 number was so rude and gave me a lecture about buyers remorse further more she said because I wasn't within the 72hours cancellation I would be charged $400 restocking fee.

I called back to speak to a Manager who said he was very sorry about my experience but they had received a memo to say they wouldn't be charging restocking fees till there was further discussion. He advised me everything was taken care of and that I didn't have anything to worry about. A month later I received a bill for $400 when I called they said that whoever told me the information had made a mistake and that they'd tried to call me to tell me so but the phone was busy. I have call display and voicemail..

don't understand why they couldn't get through or even if they tried?? If phone wasn't available, could have sent email or letter.

Now I'm out $400 and no furniture!!!Will Never shop at SEARS ever!!!!

I tried to return a DVD player without a receipt.The item was a gift and I did not receive a receipt.

I don't want the gifter to know that the DVD player duplicated what is built into my TV's. Sears policy is no receipt no return. I was made to feel like I stole the item. Another lost customer for Sears.

Is that why they are closing so many stores?I would give them my license and phone number but that wouldn't help.

If they do ask for your phone number they are just checking to see if you are apart of Shop Your Way Rewards, but the system won't remember it.

Haha, the sales associates are just following the prompts you paranoid maniac, no one's on a hunt for your information - if you don't provide your phone number they have to put in a fake one because phone numbers are how accounts are held in the modern world. You're a true ***

what about catalogue orders...i'm so upset...i guess its my own fault for not reading the return policy....i thought it was 90days apparently if its from outlet site its only 10days....they make sure that is in writing way at the bottom of the return policy page...now i'm out almost $200.00

tryed to return stuff today to catalogue store and they wont take them back...spoke to someone on the phone and they won't do anything for me...i will never shop at sears again

I bought a sofa from Sears for $1858.07. In 3 months the leather started to peel off. I looked up reviews and saw many complaints about this brand of couch from sears.

It took months to finally get this couch returned to Sears after explaining over and over again to different people on the phone. I got refunded but I am missing $239.68... I asked why they didn't pay me back in full, and they said a restocking food of 15%. Now that I see that if it's defective the restocking fee should be waved. I will be calling back tomorrow and hear his explanation.

I will never shop at Sears again and I recommend all my family and friends to never shop there as well.

We recently purchased a diswasher at sears and the unit just doesn't clean dishes.We called to tell them we wamted to exchange for a different model.

This was Sept 4 ( just after the long weekend)and we were told they could do nothing as our 30 days expired on the 2nd, ( 1 business day too late ) so were stuck with a $800 dollar unit that doens't do what it's supposed to do.I will NEVER buy or recommend sear to anyone, and will make sure to tell everyone I can about their poor customer service policies.

The reason for the restocking fee is to prevent cheating, lying customers return items after they used it for whatever purpose they needed it for.THIS IS ABUSING THE SYSTEM.

Customers are not always right and expect special treatment because they are "loyal" customers, many for over 666 years.

READ THE *** RECEIPT AND TAKE RESPONSABILITY.Crybaby customers are sickening.

I've worked at Sears for almost 5 years (Way to long). Reading some of these comments are quite disturbing. I will be honest, Sears can hire some "special" people. If an associate is acting goofy, shady or just doesn't know how to perform their job properly, use these tips:

Ask for the department manager in a nice manner!

1. If it deals with appliances or electronics ask for the "Brand Central Manager".

2. If it deals with lawn and garden/tools, ask for the "Hardline Manager".

3. If neither are not present, ask for the "Operations Manager".

4. If she/he is not around, ask for the "Store Manager".

*** Sears Return Policy (Simplified) ***

Sears will return a defective item or if your not fully satisfied with the item.

* 30 days for electronics and mattresses

* 90 days on EVERYTHING else in the store

* A 15% restocking fee is SUBJECT on certain items.

The 15% restocking fees SHOULD NOT BE tacked on if:

1. The item is defective.

2. They did an HFM Order (Back Order) and you haven't picked it up yet.

3. You are willing to exchange the item or upgrade. (We added this in at the store level). Seriously, why tack a 15% restocking fee when the customer wants to BUY something else? It's a dumb business move if ANY employee doesn't honor this method.

By following those properly moral procedures, I have to say that 99% of my customers came out smiling. The other 1% bitched and moan BUT HEY...you can't please everyone :)

:( recently purchased a Kenmore refrigerator from Memorial Day Sale.They were OUT OF STOCK which was not a problem for me we had a month or so until our move date.

So I decided to do layaway plan. Next day I visited Kmart and saw one I like better so went to Sears to cancel my purchase. Went to cashier nearest to the door to see if I could do it there & he says yes so we proceed. He then calls for management.

Person on phone says to tell me I will need to pay 15% restocking FEE and they will MAIL me a check! Restock free for something that was not in stock?

WTF!?They refused to help me any other way so I went downstairs to department where purchase was made & salesperson was very helpful put the charge back to my bank although I still paid 30$ for cancelling the layaway but not $150..